Is islam a religion of peace?

Hi guys, I am running a radio programme on SOL Station tomorrow 26/03/14 from 5-7pm

This is the direct link to listen

I want to know your opinions on this topic

You can follow up on the argument via this link also

Now before I start this I want to say that this is the side of the argument that I believe to be true.
It is important for me to distinguish that this does not mean that all Muslims are not of peace, but that the Religion of Islam, as it is written, is not one of peace as the media has led us to believe.

Claim: Islam is not a religion of peace.

Thank you Con can you explain this in more depth?

The religion of Islam is not a religion of peace because the writings of the Koran, the holy book of Islam, do not promote peace but rather violence. I will provide a number of different verses of violence in the Koran:

Quran (4:89) - "They but wish that ye should reject Faith, as they do, and thus be on the same footing (as they): But take not friends from their ranks until they flee in the way of Allah (From what is forbidden). But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever ye find them; and (in any case) take no friends or helpers from their ranks."

Demanding for the seizing and slaying of traitors is not a promotion of peace.

Quran (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them"

Here we have explicit hatred towards any nonbelievers which calls for violent murder.

Quran (8:15) - "O ye who believe! When ye meet those who disbelieve in battle, turn not your backs to them. (16)Whoso on that day turneth his back to them, unless maneuvering for battle or intent to join a company, he truly hath incurred wrath from Allah, and his habitation will be hell, a hapless journey's end."

This is advocating for the opposite of peace by calling for war on those who disbelieve.

Quran (9:123) - "O you who believe! fight those of the unbelievers who are near to you and let them find in you hardness."

More calling for fighting of nonbelievers, but this time those who are "near to you"

Quran (48:29) - "Muhammad is the messenger of Allah. And those with him are hard (ruthless) against the disbelievers and merciful among themselves"

Now here is a VERY important detail to notice. Often times people say that Muslims live in peaceful societies where moral codes exist. This is true, but it is an entirely exclusive society and those who do not believe what they do are suddenly evil. This passage clearly distinguishes between "the disbelievers" and "themselves"

In addition to the violent verses in the Koran, there are also verses of violence in the Hadith, the collection of oral reports on Mohammad, the "prophet" of Islam.

Bukhari (52:220) - Allah's Apostle said... 'I have been made victorious with terror'

A prophet who is victorious through terror... Sounds like peace.

Bukhari (52:73) - "Allah's Apostle said, 'Know that Paradise is under the shades of swords'."

Swords are hardly a symbol of peace.

Ibn Ishaq/Hisham 992: - "Fight everyone in the way of Allah and kill those who disbelieve in Allah."

Pretty straightforward.

Saifur Rahman, The Sealed Nectar p.227-228 - "Embrace Islam... If you two accept Islam, you will remain in command of your country; but if your refuse my Call, you"ve got to remember that all of your possessions are perishable. My horsemen will appropriate your land, and my Prophethood will assume preponderance over your kingship."

One of the various letters that Mohammad sent to various nations that had not done anything to resist Islam.

If you have been paying attention, you should know by now it is not a "Religion of Peace." There are many Muslims who either honestly don't know about these verses, or simply look over them as unimportant. There are many Christians and Jews who constantly do not follow the rules of their religion, but those who follow those rules to a tee also don't fly commercial jetliners into the sides of buildings. Those who follow Islam to a tee, on the other hand, do commit those horrors and more. Just yesterday, on the 25th of March, 2014, there were three separate reported Muslim terrorist attacks, one in Dalori, Nigeria, where two suicide bombers left eight Nigerians dead. One in Taji, Iraq left five innocents dead by a suicide bomber. The other was in Kunduz, Afghanistan, where a suicide bomber attacked a sporting event, killing five. These attacks occur daily and are the result of this "religion." To call such an abomination "peaceful" is sickening, misleading, disgusting, and dangerous.

If you've read this far, thank you.

Thank you for the reply Con! I wish I got the response before talking about this on the Radio.

If you're interested in what we said, here's the link to it:

We did emphasise that Islam is meant to be a religion of peace based on the Qua'ran verses but it has been misinterpreted by many

Thank you all the same

Sorry about the response being a little late I forgot about the time situation.

If I had to summarize my argument it would be that Islam calls for an exclusively peaceful society that doesn't place any value on those who refuse to submit to their religion, and any Muslims who deny this are either lying or simply do not know enough about their own religion to realize it.

Thank you for the opportunity!
Posted by Mussab 2 years ago
Dude can you focus on replying to the arguments rather than speak about the radio? We could've won another debate.
Vote Placed by Geogeer 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con made an argument whereas Pro did not.