Mangaka
Gregg_Hyde

Is it Acceptable to have a Waifu (A love interest in an animated character)

Mangaka has forfeited round #4.

Mangaka

Pro

The term Waifu has came up time and time again throughout my life. I find the idea ok and encourage people to have a waifu. People should be able to express their love no matter how they choose. Wether they are "3D" or "2D". Yet the Waifu is able to be "3D" via body pillows and figures, among other forms of merchandise. So where do you stand? Are you for the love of "fictional" animated characters or not.
Gregg_Hyde

Con

I thank Mangaka for opening up this debate. I was originally hesitant to accept this debate because there is not much subject matter, it's mostly feelings. But I think I can provide a decent argument as to why it should not be acceptable for society to allow waifus or other love-delusions to come into reality.

I'll use this round as acceptance. Again, I thank Pro for opening this debate and I will gracefully await their argument.
Mangaka

Pro

I believe that it's ok to have a waifu and disregard other living humans, simply because that is what they choose. To be emotionally attached to a fictional character allows someone with a waifu to express an emotion that they probably lack from another human. In result they should have the right to turn to animated characters when no "3D" person was there for them.
Gregg_Hyde

Con

I thank Pro for posting his argument.

We need to distinguish between individual acceptance and societal acceptance. It may be acceptable to an individual to commit murder, they might stand to gain from a particular murder(s). However society certainly does not accept murder for it is wrong to take the life of another. This distinction of individual and societal is key to understanding my stance on this issue.

While animated characters may bare resemblance to people they are in no way the same. First of all, these characters in no way interact with you. It's a one way street. You devote yourself to a self-less fiction with no devotion in return. It's sad. But reality kicks in and asks "why devote yourself to something that will not and can not devote itself to you". That is ultimately irrational. Second, these characters will not grant you nature's perhaps: that of reproduction.

Why does this matter?

If society accepts the love of animated characters then those who love such characters will be binded to their delusion. They will never experience true love, actual rational love between fellow humans. They will not reproduce. Their life simply will be a devotion to that of which does not truly exist. So yes they may be neglected by people at the current time. But substituting human love for delusion is no cure, it is giving up. Those individuals will not improve themselves, as humans. They will sink into their own creations, void of reality void of human interaction. They chose to but that is not a better outcome. As a society we must reject delusion in preference to reality as to maximize our humanity. By shunning delusion we keep people on track with happiness, happiness derived from human interactivity and being in tune with what is real.

I think that is a good introduction to how I feel. I await my opponent's response.
Mangaka

Pro

I do not think that the ability to reproduce or not has much to do with the choice of loving a fictional character or not. It is no different from two women or men in this case.
The idea of loving an individual doesn't always have to resort to a sexual act.

If someone has made their mind up in a one way relationship then so be it. It does not harm anyone and is not as severe to warrant your murder analogy. It is not up to what society thinks is right to love animated characters or not, but the decision of the individual instead. Perhaps the relationship is one sided or maybe it is not. There are numerous of programs and merchandise that allow one to interact with the one they deem "waifu." VR is a growing platform that enables people who have an romantic interest in animated characters to experience their dreams.Perhaps not as intimate as you may want, but it's a step closer for those who desire such circumstances.
Gregg_Hyde

Con

My point about reproduction was that if we allow people to love things other than humans then they are deterred from an important function of our species, that of reproduction. If a straight guy was unable, at the current time, to get anywhere with women then he needs the help from society to try and fix whatever he's doing wrong. Your suggestion is to allow him to develop and rationalize feelings towards animated characters which is not a cure to the problem it is giving up.

I will not condone individual action, as long as it isn't bothering me. However that doesn't mean me or the rest of society will say "yes we think it is okay for you to love an animated character". We won't vilify those who do but we won't agree either. So yes, an individual can love an animated character but that doesn't mean we as a society thinks it's acceptable - we just appreciate freedom.

My murder analogy was just to distinguish the difference between society acceptance and individual acceptance. It is not directly relevant or linked to my argument against the love for animated characters.

The reason why, and I will express this again, society must not accept the love of animated characters is because it will hurt those very individual's who choose to love those characters. It's like if all drugs were legal. Society wouldn't recommend taking them but there'd be no one stopping you from taking them. And just like drugs, the delusion of loving an animated character is not healthy.
Posted by Nignog9000 10 months ago
Nignog9000
No kys you disgusting weeaboo I hope you get hit with a plane and your waifu gets cancer
Posted by Doom-Guy-666-1993 11 months ago
Doom-Guy-666-1993
@Gregg, probably more like "HA, VIRGIN!!" we really need WW3 to strengthen the weak.
Doom-Guy-666-1993
Wait, this is really a thing? ok, concrete boots time.