Is it OK for a little kid to dye their hair?

I started dyeing my hair when i was 6-7.. To this day, I have dyed my hair approximately 20 times. Im ok with it. Are you?

First of all, I would like to thank you for creating this debate and allowing me to participate. :)

When you are a young child, primarily before puberty, the color, thickness and texture of hair goes through several changes. Lots of people say to not chemically change a child's hair for that reason. Kid's hair before puberty is typically thinner and more fragile and can be damaged by even gentle hair formulations. Also, a child's scalp can be more sensitive and tender than it would be after puberty. This is why there are special hair products for kids (kid's shampoo, conditioner, etc.) so hair color could be quite irritating. Some hair salons don't even allow children below a certain age to even have a patch test due to the potential risks that a child could experience an allergic reaction.

I'm looking forward to hearing your first argument and I hope you are having a wonderful day. :)

Citations:, About Style

You're very welcome.

I agree it isn't right on some circumstances, but, dyeing hair is a way to boost confidence (That's why I did it in the first place) and helps with self-image. "Winnipeg mom Kelly Robinson* takes her 10-year-old daughter to get professional pink highlights as a way to boost her confidence and self-image. "She loves pink, and she gets tons of compliments on how great it looks. She"s dealing with a lot of difficult issues right now, like health problems and family illness, and the positive comments help give her a better outlook on life," says Robinson." says.

My way of dealing with my image was with my hair. I dyed, cut, and used products professionals used because i didn't (and still don't) like the way I looked. I liked the comments people would say about it. I did things I regret doing when people stopped telling me I was pretty, cute, ext. I am and was back then very self conscious and always wanted to please people. My way of doing that was through my hair.

Sorry if the last part was kinda awkward but I had to throw that out there. and my day was fine:) How about you?

I do agree that doing fun and different things with your hair is a very good way to boost confidence, in fact, I think it's one of the best things you can do rather than doing things such as bullying to make yourself feel better. The only thing I would say to oppose that argument is that rather than taking the risk of using demi-permanent or permanent chemicals in a young child's hair, you could use temporary colors that wash out with 1-2 shampoos. Most of them are easy to apply and have no harmful chemicals.

My second argument is that, some research says that the risk of certain types of blood cancer increases from dying a child's hair too early "One case-control study examined hair dye use among 769 patients with adult acute leukemia and 623 people without leukemia in the United States and Canada (8). It found that the risks of acute leukemia were higher among users of earlier formulations of both permanent and nonpermanent (i.e., semipermanent and temporary) dyes than among those who had not used dyes."-National Cancer Institute.

My day has been fine, thank you so much :)

Citations: National Cancer Institute

In all honesty my days been pretty sucky so I really don't want to do this right now..

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that :(

Would you like to continue this later?

Best Wishes

Thanks and yes. BTW *whispers* You are awesome :)
"We"d used coloured hair spray a number of times for kinder fetes and birthday parties, and we"d also bought some expensive hair chalks from a salon, so she was familiar with the experience of having different coloured hair. I also knew she was unlikely to have an adverse skin reaction, as she hadn"t with any other hair products. Plus, I checked with a hairdresser friend to see if she knew of any reason why we shouldn"t dye her hair but she couldn"t think of any good reason, though warned that repeated applications could lead to dermatitis." says We all have tried out different hair colors with color spray, so why not keep it semi-permanent and use hair dye?

Parent Further says, "Many kids, especially once they enter the teen years, want to express themselves with tattoos, piercings." Using hair dye is a way to express how you feel without punching holes in your skin and use needles. Hair dye is a much safer alternative.

Yeah, it all depends on the person, some people are more susceptible to an allergic reaction more than others. I think that a young child (ages 0-9, maybe 10) should not be dying their hair for the reasons I have listed. But older than that, I think it's absolutely fine when the right precautions have been taken. In the example you have given, that parent has done everything they needed too. If you do all of those things and let your child understand the responsibility of dying hair, than I no longer see any problem. Thank you for opening up my mind about this type of thing. :)

CON AGREES!!! YESS!!! And your welcome! I would also like to say, Kids,
"Don't do drugs unless you like them." ~Michael Clifford

Vote Placed by Midnight1131 10 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Con concedes the debate after agreeing with Pro in the following statement. "I think it's absolutely fine when the right precautions have been taken."