jamccartney
toamatt26

Is it OK to tell children about Santa Claus?

toamatt26

jamccartney

Con

This is an open debate. Anyone who thinks it is OK to tell children about Santa, feel free to debate me.

Here are my points:
1. We should not lie to them about anything.
2. For those who are religious, Santa is taking away the true meaning of Christmas.
3. We are telling children that magic is real.

Again, feel free to debate me on this topic.
toamatt26

Pro

I accept the debate, and believe that it is, in fact, OK to tell children about Santa Claus.
jamccartney

Con

Hello. Thank you for accepting the challenge. I am going to go through my list and explain - in detail - why each one is not a good idea.

1. We should not lie to them about anything:
I do not believe that feeding children lies is a good idea. To some, it could be considered immoral (I do not consider it to be immoral. That is just the opinion of others). Many years ago, when I first realized that Santa was not real, I felt so gullible and unintelligent. I can imagine that many other children felt the same way when they found out.

This reason really only applies to the religious community. For them, Christmas is about giving and the birth of Jesus. The whole idea of Santa Claus is teaching children to forget about what Christmas is all about and telling them that it is about getting presents and toys. That is not the true meaning of Christmas, which is what children should be taught about.

Do we really want our children running around thinking that magic is real? Do we really want them to think that a fat man who lives in the north pole flies around in a magic sleigh pulled by reindeer every Christmas and gives billions of children the presents they want in just 8 hours? No. We really don't. That is a very big, elaborate lie, that is teaching children to believe in magic, which is not real either.
toamatt26

Pro

Before I attack my opponent's arguments, I will state mine.

It is OK to tell children about Santa Claus.

One of, if not the main reason, that Santa Claus is important to tell to children is the motivation that comes along with it.

"He's making a list,
Checking it twice;
Gonna find out who's naughty or nice.
Santa Claus is coming to town
Santa Claus is coming to town
Santa Claus is coming to town

He sees you when you're sleeping
He knows when you're awake
He knows if you've been bad or good
So be good for goodness sake "[1]

The preceding quote is part of a Christmas Carol "Santa Claus is Coming to Town."

The important part of the carol is "[Santa Claus is] Gonna find out who's naughty or nice," and later states "he knows if you've been bad or good, So be good for goodness sake." That section of the carol motivates children of a young or adolescent age to be "good" children for the whole year. If they do what is considered good, the song states they will be rewarded by receiving presents from Santa Claus. In contrast, if the children are not doing what is good, they will not get presents from Santa Claus. "He's making a list, Checking it twice" shows that he checks a list of children who have been good kids throughout the year. Those who have not been, will not be on the list. This song, and idea, motivates children to always do the right thing in order to get presents at the end of the year. I will extend my arguments next round.

Now, I will attack my oppenent's arguments

"when I first realized that Santa was not real, I felt so gullible and unintelligent. I can imagine that many other children felt the same way when they found out"

This argument, in his first contention, is a personal feeling and is surrounded solely on the narrators point of view which shows no relevance to the rest of the argument, or why children should not hear about Santa Claus. "To some, it could be considered immoral"Although his actually contention, "We should not lie to them about anything," may possibly make some sense, but he does not support it throughout the rest of the paragraph. morality -principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior. [2] There are people in the world who believe lying is ethically wrong, but censoring details, on the other hand, is not. Perhaps the people who created Santa Claus also believed that it would be better if children believed in some spirit that would make them behave better throughout the year. In many cases, that has worked flawlessly.

"This reason really only applies to the religious community"

The religious community are those who strongly believe in the religious views. One of which, for the Christian religion, is Santa Claus. Those who strongly believe in the Christian church would greatly believe in Santa Claus and would like to spread the philosophies to their children.

"We are telling children that magic is real.
Do we really want our children running around thinking that magic is real? "

Magic - an extraordinary power or influence seemingly from a supernatural source [3] Imagination - the act or power of forming a mental image of something not present to the senses or never before wholly perceived in reality [4] By telling children that Santa Claus is real, parents could help their child expand his or her imagination by giving it a base of understanding. My opponent states that "Do we really want our children running around thinking that magic is real?" Well, no. But expanding a child's imagination would be more morally right than wrong.

[1] http://www.azlyrics.com...
[2]http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[3] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[4] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
jamccartney

Con

Thank you for responding.

First of all, I understand the motivation behind it all. But there is still a problem with that. It is telling children that if they do not be good, they will not get presents. That, I'm sorry to say, does not teach good morals. The children should learn that they should be good, no matter what they get in return.

Due to the carol you mentioned, they may be good for many years. But when they find out that Santa is just a lie, they will realize that there is no longer a need to be good. It is true; I've seen it happen too many times to deny it.

I understand that magic expands the imaginations of children, but if we really want to do that, why not do it in a different way? Magic cannot provide them with a source of understanding because magic does not explain anything. Magic is not real and therefore is still a lie. Like I said before, lying to children is wrong. I read something that I think explains why I think that, which I will share with you now:

"So, basically they use scare tactics and bribery to get their kids to behave?"[1]

I think that line explains it perfectly. Why don't we teach the children morals and that good behavior is the right thing to do?

Now, back to the thing I said about religion. I'm not saying that religion discourages it, I'm just saying that Santa takes away the true meaning of Christmas. It teaches them about how they get toys and presents if they're good instead of just being good because it's the right thing to do. The idea of kids only being good because of greediness does not sound good to me; It actually scares me. I don't want these people to be running the world one day if they think like that.

[1]http://www.babble.com...
toamatt26

Pro

I will refute all my opponent's sentences before I state my arguments.

"First of all, I understand the motivation behind it all"

"But there is still a problem with that"

No there's not

"It is telling children that if they do not be good, they will not get presents"

Yes, that is right. If they are not good they don't get presents.

"That, I'm sorry to say, does not teach good morals."

Pffft. Says who? The whole point is if someone wants presents, they have to earn it. Very wize people they are: the people who thought of Santa Claus.

"The children should learn that they should be good"

Thats what they are doing.

"no matter what they get in return."

You got a better idea?

"Due to the carol you mentioned, they may be good for many years."

GRAMMER ALERT! *Weeooo Weeoooo Weeooo* You say "Due to the carol you mentioned" so something has to go after it to have sequence but you say that it may be good for many years. It is not BECAUSE I mentioned it that it is good for many years. And yes, it has been many years already.

"But when they find out that Santa is just a lie, they will realize that there is no longer a need to be good"

By then they will be mature enough to understand that life is not about presents

"It is true; I've seen it happen too many times to deny it."

Thank you for the proof.

"I understand that magic expands the imaginations of children"

"but if we really want to do that, why not do it in a different way?"

2 birds with one stone. You're both telling kids to be good and providing a base for an imagination.

"Magic cannot provide them with a source of understanding because magic does not explain anything. Magic is not real and therefore is still a lie"

Half of my round 1 argument is saying that Santa is not "magic." I'm sorry you managed not to read that.

"Like I said before, lying to children is wrong."

#Round1

"I read something that I think explains why I think that, which I will share with you now:"

GRAMMAR ALERT! WEEOOO WEEOOOIts grammatically awkward

"So, basically they use scare tactics and bribery to get their kids to behave"

Yea, pretty much.

"I think that line explains it perfectly."

I unfortunately don't

"Why don't we teach the children morals and that good behavior is the right thing to do?"

Well, by giving them presents as a reward for good behavior, isn't it the right thing to do?

"Now, back to the thing I said about religion."

Unfortunately I could not refute that sentence. I am deeply sorry.

"I'm not saying that religion discourages it"

Going against your own argument. Why thank you.

"I'm just saying that Santa takes away the true meaning of Christmas. "

Proof?

"It teaches them about how they get toys and presents if they're good instead of just being good because it's the right thing to do"

It's the same thing if they are getting the toys and pressents because of their behvior and because it's the right thing to do.

"The idea of kids only being good because of greediness does not sound good to me;"

Sounds good to me.

" It actually scares me."

Boo!

" I don't want these people to be running the world one day if they think like that."

By the time the children are "running the world" they would be too old for little toys and presents and therefore they will understand the true meaning of good behavior.

"[1]http://www.babble.com...;

Unfortunatley, I could not find any mistakes in this sentence like every other sentence. I am truly sorry

I have no further arguments. Thank you for taking time to read the refutations and the rest of the debate. Vote Pro.
Posted by jamccartney 3 years ago
jamccartney
You know, pro, I have to point out that while pointing out my grammar issues, you messed up.

'GRAMMAR ALERT! WEEOOO WEEOOOIts grammatically awkward"

You forgot a period, a space, an apostrophe, and another period.
Vote Placed by debatinghoe123 3 years ago
debatinghoe123
jamccartneytoamatt26Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct was the same because no one forfeited. I give it to Con because Pro was rude once or twice in the debate. Pro clearly had more convincing arguments, pointed out Con's grammar mistakes, and Con did not have any sources. Overall, very relevant debate considering Christmas is soon.