Drewby007
MadisonReneN

Is it Right For a School to Remove Student WIFI?

Drewby007

Con

My school has recently removed the guest/student WIFI and replaced it with a new "Chromebook WIFI" because all students are now getting one from the school. I believe that this decision was not thought through very well because almost EVERY student at my high school has a cellular device. Restricting WIFI use to only laptops is not exactly fair because many people may choose to use their phones instead of a laptop to quickly search something. There is no need to pull out an entire laptop, boot it up, then open google to search for something that would've taken 20 seconds to do on a phone. With this said, I believe that a school should not restrict WIFI from student cellphones.
MadisonReneN

Pro

With technology being a major part of today's society, many places have had to adapt, this meaning that they have had to make technology upgrades. Schools for example, all around the nation, have been upgrading with more technological advances. Now we see high schools offering their students laptops, tablets, and kids also get to use their own personal phones. Yes, the schoolboards provide chrome books (in your case anyways) with their funding. They provide internet for the students to use the chrome books. Now, the school did not use their funding to buy you that phone, otherwise that would clearly be too costly. The school is offering you expensive chrome books for you to use, they are even providing you the internet. The school, however, is not offering you phones, instead they are giving you an alternative source for research. Why should they provide internet, which is more costly, for the students use when they are already providing you with internet and resources to conduct your research on. The schools shouldn't have to pay for extra internet when they are already providing. Imagine how expensive it is already to be providing Wi-Fi for a WHOLE school. You must also understand that the student Wi-Fi will probably be misused as well. Who would want to pay for Wi-Fi for the students and have them use it on something inappropriate. Schools should not have to provide student w-fi, it is not their job to provide internet for the students.
Drewby007

Con

I don't know how to forfeit on this website because I'm new but I'm just saying that you have definitely won this... great job. I now completely agree with you on your opinion.
MadisonReneN

Pro

MadisonReneN forfeited this round.
Drewby007

Con

Drewby007 forfeited this round.
MadisonReneN

Pro

MadisonReneN forfeited this round.
Posted by WhineyMagiciann5 1 year ago
WhineyMagiciann5
I believe I could explain why they did it if you are curious.

if you want to know, the most likely reason is that they don't want kids doing things that aren't school related. in my classes kids are constantly on their laptops an phones playing games. if they had a problem like that in your school, that's probably why.
Posted by MadisonReneN 1 year ago
MadisonReneN
This will be an interesting debate, I'm willing to accept.