bluebubbles
softline

Is it a good idea to have a Facebook account when you are over 13 years old?

softline
Started: 12/10/2014 Category: Technology

bluebubbles

Pro

I think it is a good idea to have a Facebook account over 13 because if you are younger it could be dangerous. Some kids have a Facebook account when they're younger then 13. They probably haven't learned not to talk to strangers online. Also, there might be something inappropriate online on Facebook that they're too young to see. There might be violent things, too. Another thing is something called cyber bullying. The child could be cyber bullying about something they know in their school. Or they could be the one bullied. Some people like to type up rude things that I think are not right.
softline

Con

I believe the appropriate age for children to have a Facebook is when their parent feels they're old and mature enough to have one. I don't know where you found the age 13, but that doesn't guarantee that they won't be sought out by a predator, that they're mature enough to view sexually explicit and violent content. Cyber bullying happens to children and teens and even adults. It does not discriminate with age. The argument you presented is invalid and quite ridiculous. You have no proof as to how 13 differs from any other age as far as maturity and their ability to have social media over any other age?
bluebubbles

Pro

True that ANYONE can get cyber bullied, but it is usually on social media that you probably have to be older than whatever age is required. Also, try making a random account on Facebook and see if you can sign up under 13. I guarantee you that you wouldn't be able to sign up. Plus you HAVE to be older than 13 and I admit, I don't know why. But I still think that you wold NEVER be able to sign up if you are younger than 13. I also think that people who are older than 13 already know to not to talk to strangers. People under 13 probably do too, but they might get tricked or something. 13 and older can get tricked, I guess. But I think they would learn from school already not to be tricked. My parents told me that when you're 13, you turn into a teenager. I think that's how it differs from ANY other age.
softline

Con

Seems to me as though you have agreed with my argument. It can happen to anyone and the age of 13 has nothing to do with it. An age minimum won't keep these kids from getting on social media. I had a Facebook before I was thirteen because I lied on the age that I was. Its very simple to do. Aside from Facebook, kids have Instagrams and twitters which is just as bad. Especially Instagram. They're putting photos of themselves online for people to see. I simply don't believe that anyone that is so immature and ignorant should have a social media account because of the risks. I think it should be left up to the caregiver to decide when their child is ready for such things. It has nothing to do with a certain age and everything to do with maturity, which is not determined by one certain age (their first teen year), rather is determined with their circumstances and wisdom at any age.
bluebubbles

Pro

I did NOT agree with your argument. I learned the most honest people have a brighter future. I believe that honesty is one of the most important things in the world. If you keep on lying, nobody would trust you. I also think it is okay to post a couple of pictures online if you are older than 13. It's just like Facebook, without any games. I think it is okay to be at least 13 and have a Facebook because I think people who are older than 13 can be trusted. Also, kids probably will learn from their mistakes once they find out that they should be older than 13. I got my Facebook when I was 13. I don't think it's okay to lie about your age and that people who are younger than the age required should have Facebook. I think Facebook should stay as is and people should not lie about their age. I think it has to do with your age because if you are thirteen, you could actually be able to go on Facebook and not lie. It is important to be thirteen.
softline

Con

softline forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
bluebubblessoftlineTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Pro. Con forfeited the final round which is rarely acceptable conduct in any debate setting. S&G - Tie. I saw no major errors in spelling and grammar from either side. Arguments - Con. Pro never really presented rebuttals against Con's counter-arguments. Furthermore, Pro needed to provide evidence for the claims regarding cyber-bullying and other potential risks. Con presented the strong argument that it should be left up to the parents/caregivers and that 13 isn't some objective limit where someone is mature or not. Pro never really overcame this challenge. Due to these reasons, I award arguments to Con. Sources - Tie. Neither utilized sources in this debate.