Is it a waste of money (presumably your rich) to get a Bugatti Veyron

Started: 9/23/2014 Category: Cars

Ok, nice and easy for the first one I create.
Lets say you are rich.
Would you by a Bugatti, or is it a waste?
Con/Against if you think it is a waste
Pro/For if you think it's worth it.
Whoever has the most in each round wins.
Whichever side gets the most rounds won wins! Then we know if its a waste or not!

I will happily accept! I'll allow you to present your opening arguments, and I will present mine in the next round, as we have five rounds to talk about this.

I'd appreciate it if you could elaborate on "rich," please. By rich, I'm assuming enough money to spend $2million on a car and have enough left over to be way more than comfortable. Like tens of millions of dollars at the least.

Thanks! Looking forward to a good debate.
Now this looks pretty amazing.

The Bugatti is a beautiful car, I agree with that. Just one problem. Your rich, you have 2 million dollars, you buy one. Hey friends I have a Bugatti Veyron! BOOM! Much swag. Friend: "OK drive it". You: 0_0. So unless your a zillionaire that can buy a private racetrack, that's gonna be hard to drive.

Sorry, are you saying I have just enough to buy one? Like exactly what the Bugatti is worth? Please clarify this again, maybe I'm being dumb but I can't really tell if you mean "rich enough to buy one and still have loads of money left over," or "rich enough to buy one.... and that's it"?

Assuming I'm rich enough to buy a Veyron and not have a dime left over, then the main reason I'd buy one would be strictly for aesthetic appeal. Being able to simply own such an exotic and rare car would be amazing. I would wax it, shine it, put it on display, invite people over to sit in it (assuming I can't drive it due to gas prices, and I have no money left over....?) and have fun and be able to experience such a thing. Not very many people can sit in a Bugatti Veyron, and I know I would make a lot of people very happy if I was able to allow a lot of people to check it out and sit in it. Not only that, but just the fact of knowing I own one of very few of these cars is a treat in it's own.

Now, I'd rather go with the other scenario, where I still have lots of money left over, say a few million. That would allow me to drive it, take it to car shows, tune it up, paint it, put on decals if I wish, etc. I've personally seen a Veyron drive around the streets of the city I live in, so it isn't impossible. It's a car with a lot of horsepower, but if you are able to control it, you won't constantly be at 100mph. As long as you can drive it, the practicality of having a Veyron is the same as having a Toyota Corolla; except the Bugatti is a lot nicer looking. Of course it would be nice to take it to a race track, and you actually can (I've taken a couple exotic cars to race tracks for $2,000 a day, so it isn't expensive) especially if you have money left over. Also, considering the fact that you have money left over, you can fly it out to Europe and rip down the Autobahn. Assuming you're rich, you'll be able to do a lot with this car. You'll get a lot of attention (if that's a good thing), a lot of compliments, and you'll be more than happy owning one.

If your argument is basically "it's so expensive," then yes, but remember - you're rich.

First of all here is my clarification, and you are not being dumb you are just making sure to make a nice debate. So you got it, have enough money for wax, and to pay mortgage on your mansion, but that's about it, and some to get gas.
Now I just remembered a video I saw with a Bugatti on the interstate, so my argument is weak. But, aha! I've got a little trick up my sleeve. Your on the interstate cruising, listening to your radio, being all la-te-da happy! then some student driver tail-ends you, it's fine until you can't find a car repair shop that will service a Veyron. You get evicted from your mansion paying to get your car miles away to a repair place. Your like, "OK, I still have a nice house, not a mansion but nice, now fix my car please!" "Umm, sir, that'll be $2,567." 0_0. You pay it. Not much money... Then your transmission is messed up. Oh snap... x_x

Well first of all, if the accident isn't your fault, your insurance will cover it 100%, so you don't have to worry about the money, even though that isn't an issue to begin with.

Secondly, you can find a place to repair a Bugatti [1].

If you can afford to own a mansion, you will be able to afford to ship your Bugatti to get repaired, if insurance doesn't cover that. The measly thousands of dollars won't put much of a dent in your mortgage payments on your mansion.

I see your point, but practically looking at it, money isn't an issue, and unless you total it and it's your fault, there really isn't any downside of owning a Veyron if you're rich.

Mister, you have an answer for everything, don't you?
So lets say your not a guy with a mansion no more since you bough a Bugatti. That's not my argument by the way. You drive down the street, when everyone starts to stare. You park a Target and lock it up. You come back and its gone. You check every lot but your precious Veyron is gone. Should've taken the BMW,huh? So the police eventually find it, but there are crumbs and spilled soda all over it. THE THING IS A FRICKIN ROBBAH MAGNET.

I do have an answer for everything! How can't I ;) haha

Hold on, your argument is "someone steals it, but the police find it for you with crumbs in it"? Of course the chance of someone stealing a car will be more if your car is worth millions more than any average car, but that's a "risk" you're taking when you buy the car. The chance of someone successfully stealing a Veyron without anyone noticing and without setting off any alarms is next to none.

"The vehicle is equipped with a means of anticipating and/or detecting unwanted vehicle intrusion. The vehicle is equipped with an ignition disable device that will prevent the engine from starting if the correct original manufacturer key is not used." - Taken from an authorized Bugatti retailer [1].

And coming from a "reasonable" perspective, if I had the option to steal a Veyron, or say a BMW 328i, I'd go for the BMW. It'd be a matter of minutes before the police find out, and I'd stick out like a sore thumb.

That's like saying don't buy anything more expensive than "average" because someone may steal it. That's unrealistic and not many people would be very happy if nobody had anything that was better than average.

All your arguments are unlikely hypotheticals. I'm not trying to be rude at all, but "what if someone steals it," wouldn't be a reason for me to not get something.

Alright give me all you've got in your final round!

My last argument was weak. No offence taken Mr. Man. Now I must say I'm doing these off the top of my head, no extensive research. So time to pull out my heavy weapon. MAD RESEARCHING SKILLZ!!!! I appreciate for his help. Now why would this be a dumb idea?
1- You can't work on it yourself
His/Her Words: Here's a 7-figure car that has 16 cylinders, 4 turbochargers, and more technological mumbo jumbo than the Super Human Samurai Cyber Squad put together, and the best that it can do to excite the car enthusiast is two matte grey metal tubes with some shiny 12-point bolts. There's a certain bond that the car enthusiast gets from popping the hood and interacting with the mechanical bits themselves, even if you're not necessarily turning a wrench.

My Words: They are right. Wouldn't you love to pop open the hood of your car and do a little bit of handiwork, or at least look at it's beautiful engine. All this car's got are "shiny bolts" and "cylinders".

2- There's too many!

I'm not even going to show the author's words. It is self explanatory. Bugatti mass produces them like Ford's early stages did! It's like if your a model car enthusiast. Do you pick the new shiny Bugatti model everyone is pushing over each other
to get, or one of the 10 McLarens on the bottom shelf no one is even looking at! You want a rare one!

3- It's a horrible value!

His Words: Let's put some numbers behind the rhetoric: A Bugatti Veyron 16.4, with all dealer fees included, will cost $2 million from your local mom-and-pop Bugatti dealer. A 6-year old Bugatti Veyron, with 2 miles on the odometer can be had for 1.39 million. That's only a $600,000 hit in depreciation for a car that hasn't been driven. In the used market, the numbers are even worse - $1.1 million for a car that's done 11k miles in 8 years.

4- The competition outdrives it any day

Ok, it's obvious isn't it. Would you rather drive the Bugatti
Or these beautiful rides:
McLaren P1
Koeniggsegg One
Koeniggsegg Agera R
Ferrari California T
Ferrari LeFerrari
Pagani Huarya
or the cheapest : Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Convertible

Uh oh, I'm trembling!!

1. I agree to an extent - me personally, I would love to own a Veyron. However, I would have no idea how to service it myself just like I would have no idea how to service a Toyota myself. I love cars but I don't have the initiative to take one apart or at least attempt to service it by myself, so the fact that it's extremely hard to service your Bugatti without taking it to the "quarantine zone" (ha) doesn't really affect me. I would also love to just show off the amazing hardware when I pop the hood up. It's really all up to personal opinion, and I'm sure if you spent upwards of $2million, you would know you wouldn't be able to work on your own car, and you'd probably be okay with it when you're spending that kind of money. I kind of doubt (I could be wrong) that if you were able to work on or even look at the engine, that people would now be flocking to spend millions of dollars on a car.

My opinion is that the "shiny bolts and cylinders" are nice to look at.

2. I'd like to just flat out call BS on your claim, but I'm not that mean ;) As it's both not backed up with any sources, and what I've seen is that there are only about 400 Veyrons in circulation, and only about another 50 more will be produced before the owners stop production [1]. If someone is wealthy enough to afford a Bugatti, and they like a Bugatti more, I don't think a car that's "less popular" would cause them to buy that over one that they want for many other reasons. I wouldn't buy a brand of clothing that is less popular simply because it's less popular.

And now that I actually looked over your source, it does say 400. 400 cars is not a lot. Of course it's more than the 100 McLarens, but when you compare it to, say, Honda Accords, which are sold by the tens of thousands each month [2], it's not very many. That's like saying we have a lot of fingers (including our thumb) because other animals only have four, but it would be nothing in comparison to an animal that has a dozen (if we ever find one.)

3. A Veyron drops 30% in 6 years, (say it hasn't been driven other than off the lot.) Let's do some math. This [3] is the cheapest brand new 2010 Mazda 3. It's going for about $18,700. This [4] is the cheapest used Mazda 3, going for $9,500. That's almost a 51% depreciation. I know the used one has a few thousand more KM than the used Bugatti you're referring to, but it's hard to find a used car with less than 5km on it. Also, if you look around on Autotrader, you can find 2006 used Mazda 3's for as low as $3,500, and new ones for as much as $22,000. So depreciation is a percentage, of course $600,000 sounds like a lot for being used, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not as much as other cars will drop for the same amount of time.

4. This is all up to opinion. I would prefer to drive a Bugatti. Saying "these look nicer to me, so why would you drive a Bugatti instead of these" is not a very strong argument, it's just your opinion. I could also make the same argument for any of the cars you mentioned, and say "would you rather drive the boring old Koeniggsegg One, or this beautiful Bugatti Veyron?"

I do agree that the price is a lot, but hey - you're rich. It doesn't matter when you're rich. Nothing does. Get a Pagani Huarya as well as a Bugatti if you can't make up your mind!

Thanks for this debate, you made me wish I could afford more than just one Bugatti ;)

Posted by CheetoGo 2 years ago
Someone vote please!
Posted by CheetoGo 2 years ago
Like I said, Your rich, you have 2 million...
Vote Placed by republicofdhar 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: This debate looked like a cushy pillow fight between the two debaters. I'm confused, shouldn't Pro be recommending against getting a Bugatti and Con doing the opposite? Pro did a better job anyway.