ThomasWesterby
Beluga

Is it acceptable for Christians to smoke Cannabis?

ThomasWesterby

Con

Despite the bible not specifically mentioning anything against cannabis, some verses and other pieces of information hint towards its stance to it. As an example verse 1:29 in Genesis it is written. And God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food.
While marijuana is a seed bearing plant we cannot specify it as food, since we do not ingest it orally. Traditionally cannabis is consumed through smoking, however it is also possible to combine the substance into butter and through that, other foods. Does this mean that the bible agrees with marijuana consumption?
Well, to be completely sure we need to define the term Christian. According to Jesus his followers must ""deny himself and take up his cross to follow me"" meaning that a casual confession of faith isn"t quite enough. Rather, one who truly believes in Jesus will follow him as their ultimate purpose in life.
Now we can go back to the question at hand. As has already been mentioned, the bible does not have a take specifically on cannabis, despite this it does mention its stance toward other mind altering drugs. In the book of Galatians it is written.
Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
""Sorcery"" in this verse is translated from the Greek word pharmakeia which we derive to the English word pharmacy. Pharmacy is defined as the use or administering of drugs. Since this is a verse listing actions that, if practiced, would impede one from being able to enter heaven, it should be a reasonable suggestion that believing Christians should not indulge in drug use.
Beluga

Pro

Well, If Hillary does it, anyone can. Go Hillary!
ThomasWesterby

Con

ThomasWesterby forfeited this round.
Beluga

Pro

Are you giving up?
ThomasWesterby

Con

ThomasWesterby forfeited this round.
Beluga

Pro

Beluga forfeited this round.
Posted by FollowerofChrist1955 1 year ago
FollowerofChrist1955
Here's anther point ... even if it IS legal, do you honestly believe God WANTS you to satisfy the flesh? Do you really think a Christian who is HIGH on substance, presents the glory of God, and His Son, to any other believer much less a NON believer? Will you not just annihilate your witness?
FollowerofChrist1955
The problem never lies within the scriptures as they are always truth. The problem lies in the question as presented by human reasoning. The question of USING the Holy scriptures to infer acceptability of cannabis usage is inherently flawed by human reasoning itself. Allow me to illustrate God created poison Ivy, Poison sumac, Poison oak , and yet I don't see you attempting to EAT IT? or to Smoke IT? The Answer of Course is a resounding NO! But not because of what you might think?

1 Corinthians 8:9 Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak. 10 For if someone with a weak conscience sees you, with all your knowledge, eating in an idol"s temple, won"t that person be emboldened to eat what is sacrificed to idols? 11 So this weak brother or sister, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge. 12 When you sin against them in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. 13 Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother or sister to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause them to fall.

essentially what you DO may cause a weaker brother or sister to fall. Assuming you live in a state where it is legal of course,........ on the other hand ..... IF your using it and it's AGAINST the law? Well ... clearly the more prudent question is ARE YOU actually a Christian .... isn't it?