DevilsIndica
Bagelmaster10

Is it agreeable that everyone should have the right to suicide?

DevilsIndica

DevilsIndica

Pro

I do believe everyone has the right to live as much as the right to die. We were brought to this world against our will, so this means we should have the choice to leave it.
Does anyone agree or not?
Bagelmaster10

Con

We might have been bought into this world against our will, but that doesn't mean that we now have a right to end our lives. We need to think of those around us who want to keep living and how it will affect them. Just because someone might want to commit suicide doesn't mean we can cause others to do so by traumatizing and/or ruining their lives with our selfishness.
DevilsIndica

Pro

I don't know what you mean. When I said we were brought here against our will, I did not think because of this people should go & suicide. In no position did I claim that everyone should end their lives now. The argument I was addressing is that everyone living their lives should have the right to what they want to do with it, whether they may even choose to end it or not. For whatever reason, to continue living or die is entirely up to them. I cannot & will not decide what a person must do with his/her life.
Bagelmaster10

Con

Even if you mean you should be able to do anything with your life, including end it, my argument of 'its selfish' and 'you affect others around you' still stands. You shouldn't have the right to go up to somebody and slap them in the face. You shouldn't have the right to murder. You shouldn't have the right to swear at those above you. There are certain rules in place in society that ensure the people around you don't get hurt, is what I mean. And if you have the right to commit suicide, and you do go and commit suicide, you are essentially giving somebody the biggest slap in the face they might ever have. Things like 'what did I do wrong' and 'is it my fault' would go through their minds, and it can drive them to want to suicide. And of course, if they have the right to do so, they're more likely to.
DevilsIndica

Pro

But even though, it still wouldn't make much of a difference. Most people who act on their decision to die have reasons why, whether it'd be severe depression, terminal illnesses, etc...any sort of physical, mental, social, &/or emotional pain that drives them to the point they wish to end it in death. It is indeed a big 'slap on the face' to those who feel/think they may have done something which caused this & I would feel sorry for their loss if such an incident happened, but to the suicidal's case it may seem the pain/misery was too much to bear despite having friends or family members who love & care for them. Then again, whatever reason is entirely up to the person for what is his/her decision to do with life. To simply tell someone he/she cannot do this or that is like telling that person you own him/her.
For the person to continue living his/her life is a choice. To self-destruct is another, no matter how selfish that choice is to you.
Bagelmaster10

Con

While its true that they should have the right to their own bodies in some aspects, I still don't believe suicide is one of those aspects. Nothing that harms another soul should ever be allowed in my opinion- you shouldn't be allowed to rape, murder, steal, bully, insult somebody or ANYTHING that could possibly hurt somebody, emotionally, physically or financially. When you commit suicide, you're pretty much saying to those you loved, 'you loved me, looked after me, cheered me up when I was upset, but it wasn't good enough'- or that is how it would be interpreted. In fact, according to http://www.smh.com.au... and http://en.wikipedia.org... as well as many other sites I'm sure, suicide rates go up after somebody commits suicide in a of chain reaction if you will. Sure, you might want to commit suicide- but if everybody had that right, then it would cause others, who, prior, did not wish to commit suicide to want it.
Posted by Longline 2 years ago
Longline
first of all how can one say that we were brought to this world against our will? you never had a will in the first place. You never had any consciousness of free will. you were given free will, to live. once you decide for some reason you no longer want to live, u can not just end your life, because the more considerate thing to do, is to ask the giver of life. because the life you are living is not your own, you do not know how to create life. One more thing, you said we have the Right to live? where is this right coming from? and if you have a right to take your life where is that right coming from?
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
That ir one decision that no one could be held accountable for, at least not on this side.
Posted by Mister_Man 2 years ago
Mister_Man
I don't know where I've been for the past couple decades but that's the first time I heard the argument that we're brought into this world against our will, so good job.
Vote Placed by Eli01 2 years ago
Eli01
DevilsIndicaBagelmaster10Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Engaging arguments by both sides but Pro made fine explanations on personal autonomy, and the argument that being brought into this world against our will means we should be able to leave it. Even though Con did raise issue with the impact such a choice would have on others, I think Pro is right.
Vote Placed by Jzyehoshua 2 years ago
Jzyehoshua
DevilsIndicaBagelmaster10Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Interesting arguments by both sides but I think Pro made good arguments on personal autonomy, and the argument that being brought into this world against our will means we should be able to leave it is an interesting and novel one. While Con did raise issue with the impact such a choice would have on others, I think Pro is right that this should not trump personal autonomy so long as not directly harming another.