Kymboslice
squonk

Is it appropriate for employers to require that their female workers wear make-up to work?

Kymboslice has forfeited round #2.
Started: 2/13/2017 Category: Fashion

Kymboslice

Con

Absolutely not.
I am a female member of waiting staff in a high-end hotel. 2 days ago my superior was used as a scapegoat and instructed by the resort's (FEMALE) general manager to inform myself and my female colleagues that we have to 1) wear our hair in a bun 2) wear make up every working day and 3) "touch up" our makeup 3 times throughout a shift. Disgusted, insulted and outraged at this new rule I am considering approaching Human Resources about the issue.
The tidy neat is fair enough, both for general tidiness and hygiene reasons. However I see no arguing in the contrary that forcing young women to "fix" their faces by wearing foundation to blur imperfections, mascara, lippy and eyebrows to look pretty, is morally wrong and horribly degrading and insulting to any lady. We have inadvertently been told that our faces in their natural form are not attractive enough to qualify as "presentable".
How would my male colleagues feel about being asked to wear makeup on a daily basis, because their faces are just as "imperfect" as ours? Many would cringe at the thought of this, but why not when it's the turn of women to wear the make-up? Here was me thinking that sexism was becoming an idea of the past, rather I have fallen victim, like so many other female workers in the industry I do not doubt, to a misogynistic and disrespectful act of disgusting dictatorship.
I hope to goodness that my general manager would never visit another hotel or restaurant and have some prejudice towards and wince at the sight of a female worker in her bare-faced natural form. To present oneself in an appropriate way in the workplace is a fair expectation of anybody however, to sexualize your employees to a certain extent should be unheard of especially in this day of age.
I cannot help the appearance of my skin. I cannot help that I may not be as attractive as one may wan me to be. Yet worse than any of this is the fact that it has been raised as an issue and I have to now, cover up my flaws and present myself as a more pretty version than I am.
Congratulations to the female general manager at the hotel who in implementing this one rule has in her own way pushed society's hard work to liberate women back about 50 years. I hope that under her inch-thick faultless face of makeup she is as "ugly" as I am and that one day somebody points it out to her too.
squonk

Pro

I am a male member of waiting staff at a Pancake House. My last job was at a hotel restaraunt.

As a server, especially in high-end restaraunts, part of your job is looking good. I shave, style my hair, brush my teeth, put on some toner. Unfortunately, for women, "looking good" takes quite a bit more work than it does for guys.

Different places have different standards when it comes to appearance. I'm probably not quite good-looking enough to work in certain restaraunts. But if they don't want to hire me, it's their prerogative. If they DO hire me, and they require me to do XYZ with my appearance, it's their prerogative. I can comply or I can choose to work somewhere else.
Posted by epicemmy9 9 months ago
epicemmy9
I think you have a right to feel that the treatment you are getting is unfair. As a female myself, your boss's rules might make me feel a little infuriated at first. But on second thought, I can see where your boss is coming from. Working at a high-end setting does require appropriate presentation. If it was Walmart, those requirements sound pretty extreme, but at your workplace, I think these expectations are suitable. If you're the first person customers see when they come in, you probably want to look presentable. The fact that she didn't target you but rather made it an announcement shows that she is not criticizing anyone is particular's looks.
Posted by ilikegiraffes 11 months ago
ilikegiraffes
I personally hate it when women are so covered in powder you cant see their faces. I mean fair enough if you want to look good, dabbing on a bit of make up but telling you the amount of times to touch up or even telling you to is a bit demeaning.
Posted by Masterful 11 months ago
Masterful
I'm sorry that you're ugly, must be hard.

It's not sexism that you have to wear make up. It's not like you work in wall mart, this is a high end restaurant. As a wealthy customer, I do not want to see your puss bloated achene while I'm eating my "200 lobster. Nor do I want to see the dandruff flaking from your lower class hair.
Posted by Dirty-Morgs 11 months ago
Dirty-Morgs
first off Rage

secondly how to spot the feminist

she does know that this is a website for debates not a rant on tumblr

"I hope that under her inch-thick faultless face of makeup she is as "ugly" as I am and that one day somebody points it out to her too."

she never called you ugly she just wanted you to seem more presentable to others and wearing makeup seems to make you more presentable and the more people who like how you look like the more people come to the hotel because sadly people judge on appearance though I doubt they would like you anyway because you seem like a rely rude person and as you should know people show there true selves on the Internet
Posted by Gregg_Hyde 11 months ago
Gregg_Hyde
100% appropriate. A business owner sacrifices consumption to invest in a new business, perhaps their first and only, for you to complain about their conduct, disrespectful. If you don't like it then you always have the option to quit and find somewhere else. Be grateful that people go out of their way to provide employment for you.
Posted by Cougarstar 11 months ago
Cougarstar
Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish blobfish blobfish blobfish Blobfish fishblob