tala00131
Victor_syko

Is it appropriate for students and teachers to be friends?

tala00131

Pro

I will give my opponent a head start, good luck. But first, I just want to specify what I mean by friends. By friends, I mean just talking about things that do not have anything to do with school. I do not by any means mean having a student on Facebook, or hanging out with a student. I do not think it is inappropriate for students and teachers to be friends in the sense that I have described.
Victor_syko

Con

Based on your definition of "friends" if a student needs help with the teacher what are they supposed to do, sign language? Of course, you need to talk and maybe not just about school. Say if a student's parents were divorced and while speaking ends up in a nervous breakdown? There's multiple things a teacher could do: They could comfort the student and talk about how they could fix things. They could even talk about the student's life and still relate to schooling. Your definition is very broad and makes my job much easier. Now on to my arguments.

!. Students have a negative effect just as well.

According to http://www.middleweb.com... Larry Ferlazo, a teacher said:

I was a community organizer for 19 years prior to becoming a teacher 10 years ago. One of the many organizing lessons I learned during that time and that I"ve tried to apply to teaching is the difference between public and private relationships. Here"s an example of how this approach has informed my work in the classroom. One year, I had a student with an enormous number of challenges. I put a great deal of time and energy into supporting him, including purchasing books of his own choosing for him to read, working with him to develop alternative assignments that would be more fun and accessible, and providing occasional snacks between classes. He made great progress during the first six weeks of the school year, and was a delight to have in class. However, things began to go downhill dramatically at that point. One day he said "You don"t care about me and you just want to kick me out of class!"

This just proves the inability of a student to understand what a relationship between a teacher and the student can do to help. In addition, the student apparently does not know how to appreciate showing that a relationship would not help in their academic OR personal life.
tala00131

Pro

tala00131 forfeited this round.
Victor_syko

Con

Victor_syko forfeited this round.
tala00131

Pro

tala00131 forfeited this round.
Victor_syko

Con

Victor_syko forfeited this round.
tala00131

Pro

tala00131 forfeited this round.
Victor_syko

Con

Victor_syko forfeited this round.
tala00131

Pro

tala00131 forfeited this round.
Victor_syko

Con

Victor_syko forfeited this round.
Posted by InVinoVeritas 3 years ago
InVinoVeritas
"By friends, I mean just talking about things that do not have anything to do with school."

If you had worked at high-need school, you'd know that a student's personal life and "school" are inseparable.