TBSmothers
getREKT420

Is it better to an optimist or a pessimist

TBSmothers

Pro

I don't have a preference in which side I want to debate on, so I will let getREKT420 choose and we can go from there I guess. Goodluck
getREKT420

Con

Why, thank you for the choice of the argument side TBSmothers. As for the debate, I shall debate for the side of being a optimist is better. First off, there are a number of reasons why optimism is regarded much more positively than pessimism due to the emotionally satisfying feeling that optimists achieve when going about their day. Being an optimist myself, I personally believe that optimism leads to a much happier life in contrast to a pessimist's life. The philosophy of optimists goes along the lines of thinking about the positive events in their life that have already happened and will happen in the future. These positive feelings define our character by how we see ourselves and how others see us as well. If others perceive our view of life as encouraging to others around them, some of the bystanders would be much thankful that they crossed paths with an optimist rather than a pessimist. I now await for TBSmothers' response for his testimony on the subject.
TBSmothers

Pro

Con's major argument in round one was that "optimism leads to a much happier life", and this is something that I can agree with. Though there is much more to life than being happy, in fact being happy is just icing on the cake, and although icing is nice it will never be the flour needed to make the cake. Optimist often times sugar-coat life, which prevents them from making the more reasonable choices that a pessimist would make. For example optimist will always see their cups as being half full(and will be completely content with this), but pessimist will see their cup being half empty and will do the smart thing which is getting a refill. In other words pessimist are much more rational when making life choices, while optimist, with their super positive, will never do what is necessary since they don't think anything is wrong to begin with. The con also stated that " bystanders would be much thankful that they crossed paths with an optimist". This is only true because people don't like hearing the truth that pessimist often times offer. So in conclusion pessimist may not be as happy as optimist, but they live much better lives due to their rational view of things. I await your response getREKT420.

Really, half alive?
getREKT420

Con

Pro brought up some valid points in their last argument, such as pessimists making more "rational choices", with "rational choices" being defined as more reasonable than those of an optimist. However, when it comes down to it, isn't being a pessimist a choice in itself? Some might argue that people are in general clinically depressed or diagnosed with a certain disorder or something to that effect, but many of these people tend to look on the bright side of things and be thankful for what they have instead of what their missing. Just take Franklin D. Roosevelt for example, one of our many great presidents of the United States, he was diagnosed with infantile paralysis, or better known as Polio. In spite of his many challenges that he had to overcome because of this unfortunate happening, FDR still managed to look on the better side of things according to this quote from http://www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu..., "Due to his bright personality, FDR insisted that he be surrounded by 'good cheer' throughout his rehab process'. So, even in the grimmest circumstances, people can still make the "rational choice" of being positive about their lives by being optimistic instead of being the constant downer that pessimists are known for. I shall now stand by for the Pro's response to my claims.
TBSmothers

Pro

The con stated that "people can still make the 'rational choice' of being positive about their lives by being optimistic" in the previous round. My question is, are you really making the "rational choice" by being an optimist? Since the con brought up FDR last round lets talk about people diagnosed with fatal illnesses. In my opinion if you are diagnosed with a fatal illness you should accept that you most likely won't be around long. People who do this(who may be called pessimistic) will begin to spend much more time with their family, and do the things that they have always dreamed of. This is much better than unrealistically believing that you will get better, which will cause you to not use your limited time left wisely. So I guess the question I want the voters to think about is, is it better to sacrifice long term goals for your short term happiness? I would choose the former, but that is up for you to decide. With this I conclude my arguments and wish the con the best of luck.

getREKT420

Con

In the Pro's last round, he claimed that, in theory, when facing the truth of knowing one probably won't live through a disease of some sort, they should just give up and accept it, while also living out their dreams to the best of their ability. With this statement, many could argue that living out one's dreams is the ideal objective of an optimist: To enjoy life to its fullest while becoming happy in the process. That being said, I won't ramble on in this round since the Pro did not use his 1st round to debate his side, so I will now conclude my final words and leave this up to the voters. Thank you TBSmothers for the debate and the voters for voicing their opinions.