Lassiepie
TheOutcast

Is it better to go vegetarian(pro) or vegan(con)?

Lassiepie

Lassiepie

Pro

Hi, I'm a vegetarian and I think it is better to be vegetarian than vegan because it is not harming the chicken to lay an egg. I apologize to any vegans out there if I am offending you. I would become a vegan, but I don't really want to give up dairy. I know that cows can be hurt in the automated milking process, but I still prefer being vegetarian. I am not a vegetarian for health reasons, I simply do not like meat nor do I wish to harm an animal.
TheOutcast

Con

I am a vegetarian as well, but will becoming vegan in a few years (lives with a family of heavy meat eaters and finds it difficult to eat anything but dairy)
I believe it is better to be a vegan than a vegetarian because, not only do you feel better after becoming vegan (or so I've heard from reliable sources), but you also save many tortured animals. These animals are kept alive and practically raped for their milk and having their children stolen from them for our benefits. If you were to put yourself in the animals position, how would you honestly feel? To have this done to you? To have your baby be taken away from you and your milk be sold for money?
Lassiepie

Pro

I agree with your points, but there are more humane ways to get milk from a cow and get an egg from a chicken. There are some humane farmers that do it the right way and do not harm the cow.
TheOutcast

Con

But the majority of farms do not do it correctly. Even still, it's still not good. The fact of the matter is you're still taking something that wasn't yours, and consuming it. That's the same as taking someone's baby (or another valuable object) and consuming it. Does that seem fair to you in the least bit? I know I've used that analogy before (sort of), but it's the closest thing to what I'm trying to explain.
Lassiepie

Pro

That is also a good point, however, if you buy from farmers that sell humanely collected dairy, that is still somewhat supporting humane treatment for animals without becoming vegan. It gives the big factories less money.
TheOutcast

Con

Even so, you're completely missing my point. We're consuming stolen items (even if it's taken humanely, it's still being stolen). That's like someone taking your phone and keeping it (the humane way) and you just let it happen. "Oh, that's okay. I really loved that phone and it was a generation five iPhone with all my contacts and personal stuff on it, but I can't get it back so what's the point?"
I'd like to thank you for the debate, I had fun. :)
Posted by Lassiepie 3 years ago
Lassiepie
To nikidavis: it is both I suppose. To tebellomoleko: I did not become a vegetarian purely for animal right reasons, but thank you for your insightful comment.
Posted by TebelloMoleko 3 years ago
TebelloMoleko
People are entitled to their own opinions some people are vegetarians because they want to take a stand against animal cruelty, however.. how is this helping?? Animals are still being treated horribly and depriving yourself of meat won't help them... take some real action and create petitions or protests against animal cruelty to bring light to the matter and then maybe something can be done... it really is no use not eating meat... help those animals properly!!!!
Posted by nikidavis 3 years ago
nikidavis
Is this debate gonna be about health or about ethics, or both?
Vote Placed by queenofmayhem 3 years ago
queenofmayhem
LassiepieTheOutcastTied
Reasons for voting decision: Argument goes to Pro simply because Con was making a bunch of questionable claims with nothing to back them up, while Pro was mostly defending.