Ladonienreich
Capitalistslave

Is it ever acceptable for a man to hit a woman, even in self defense?

Ladonienreich has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Ladonienreich

Pro

There are some who say men should never, ever, hit a woman, no matter what situation, even if the man is trying to defend himself from a female aggressor. And that is very biased. Women can be stronger than men sometimes. In any given situation, men won't always be the stronger one. What if there is a female wrestler, and a lazy couch potato who never goes to the gym? Does this also include boys and girls? So if there is a female pedophile, the boy can't defend himself? Just because he is a male does not make him stronger. What if there is a man who is in an abusive relationship, but he lets himself be abused because he believes that he has no choice. If he reported the fact that he was being abused, people would only blame him, say he isn't a real man, and laugh at his suffering. What if a woman is attacking a man who has muscular dystrophy? What if a woman attacks someone in a wheelchair? Shouldn't a person in a wheelchair be able to defend his or herself, no matter what gender? What if a man's ex girlfriend attacks him in revenge? Or perhaps the ex would attempt to attack the man's current girlfriend. Shouldn't he be able to protect the one he loves? What if a women is armed with a weapon, maybe a knife or club? What if a woman is attempting to murder a man? Doesn't he have the right to try to defend himself in order to not die?
Capitalistslave

Con

I assume I can just begin my argument from the get-go since my opponent basically did.

I first must ask: why is hitting necessary? It would be much more preferable to pin somenoe down and prevent them from being able to hit you. Hitting them accomplishes nothing unless you hit them hard enough to make them unconscious, which most people don't even know how to do that I presume.

So, I don't believe it is acceptable for anyone to hit anyone, regardless of gender, even in self-defense. Hitting generally accomplishes nothing but make your agressor angrier, and they will likely retaliate back with greater force. Pinning them down or otherwise incapacitating the opponent is a much more logical and practical means of getting someone to stop hitting you and to over-power them.

Finally, even if they are causing pain to you, does that actually justify causing pain to them? Is causing pain on another person ever morally or logically justified? I'd like to quote Mahatma Gandhi: "An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." Hitting them, as I said, accomplices nothing unless you can hit them in such a way that makes them unconcious, and most people don't know how to do that, so hitting them just causes unnecessary pain on the attacker who will then use that as an excuse to attack you further.

[1]https://www.brainyquote.com...;
Posted by dr.jimmythefish 1 year ago
dr.jimmythefish
Assault is illegal, in any case where people are hitting each other (save sporting events) it is unlawful
Posted by Brutus.Miller 1 year ago
Brutus.Miller
Okay, but what about in instances where the aggressor is not doing something illegal? Every single one of your arguments relies on the female doing something unlawful, in which case involving the authorities is the best option...