riless98
hidude398

Is it ever allowed/okay for the government to restrict our freedom of speech?

riless98

Pro

In some cases,it is allowed for them to restrict our freedom of speech.
There are a few ways that the government can still get you in trouble when you take advantage of this right, although it may not seem agreeable to some people.
The Fist Amendment states: " Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances [1]".
This being said, you can speak freely and nobody can get you in trouble because it is your own opinion and nobody can arrest you for simply disagreeing with you. On the other hand, you do need to be careful with how you use this advantage. Nobody can restrict your rights just because they don't like what you say. However, if you take advantage of the right and cause a serious disruption, yes, the government could possibly intervene and restrict your right to freely speak.

[1] http://www.mindspring.com...;
hidude398

Con

No, it is not okay to allow the government to restrict freedoms of speech. Every time in history tyranny began with the repression of dissent. Then, the disarming of the people followed, because they could not voice their opinion. After disarming, martial law was put into effect and tyranny was allowed to rule. Every time someone waves their freedom of speech, their voice, their opinion, their story goes unheard. If you are willing to support such tyranny I will go as far to state that the Nazi takeover began with the repression of basic rights. The constitution was written by wiser men than I, and therefore I believe it is necessary to follow it as strictly as possible while still allowing some amendments to be made, as our founding fathers would most certainly agree. If you are willing to repress basic rights, you must be willing to accept the consequences of your actions. Governments of the people can become governments of the people's "great leader." Don't let that come to our country. Don't let it happen anywhere else. I was in Hong Kong this Christmas and had to censor my speech to quite the extent. I know what it is like to have freedom repressed. It isn't human.
riless98

Pro

riless98 forfeited this round.
hidude398

Con

hidude398 forfeited this round.
riless98

Pro

riless98 forfeited this round.
hidude398

Con

hidude398 forfeited this round.
Posted by hidude398 3 years ago
hidude398
Thank you Donald, for the afore mentioned thought. I just believe that the first ammendment is just supposed to be followed, and that the government shouldn't try to change it.
Posted by Haydon 3 years ago
Haydon
I'd argue that the government should never be allowed to restrict free speech because people should be free.
End of story, that should be it.
The government should be formed via the people and their opinions, the government should not suppress the people.
Anarchist 4 lyf
Posted by donald.keller 3 years ago
donald.keller
While I agree with Pro, I don't see how bringing up the 1st Amendment helped...