Sasderer
Agonist

Is it legal to use a skateboard on the road?

Sasderer has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Sasderer

Pro

I have been skating for at least 2 years now, and I try my hardest to be careful on the road. I never wear headphones while skating, I don`t do tricks if the road is filled with transport, but a lot of people seem to be pissed off just by the fact that someone skates. Some even try to scare me by beeping as loud as they can. I never had any problems with the police about it, so I`m really concerned about the society`s opinion on skating on the road in general.
As far as I looked through the law, I haven`t seen any rules for this kind of thing, so I still think that it`s ok to skate wherever you go, as long as you don`t bump into somebody, just like cycling and motorcycling.
Try to prove me wrong.
Agonist

Con

In order to debate the legality of specific modes of personal transportation on roadways, we must first clarify a few points.

Which legal code are we referring to? As it were, where are you skating?

What are you skating on (i.e. rollerblades, longboard)?

When you refer to "the road," do you refer to all parts of the road? Or perhaps specific parts?

-An initial query from the Agonist
Posted by Jocularly_Solemn 1 year ago
Jocularly_Solemn
Skating on the street is not illegal as far as I know. It is just for safety purposes that people don't want anyone to skate on the street. But if you have your helmet and protective gear on, and don't come in the way of moving traffic (in other words, skate absolutely, one hundred percent safely) then I think it should be good. Just don't compromise with your own or other people's safety.

Also, people might be beeping, etc because they are concerned that they will accidentally hit you, as a car obviously moves faster than a skateboard.
Posted by Fernyx 1 year ago
Fernyx
As far as I know it is legal, but if you are blocking traffic I can see why the would beep at you.