Unity
kingsjester

Is it like idol worship to learn about evolution

kingsjester

Unity

Con

I am against learning evolution and being tested on it in school. I do not think it correct to write the world came about from a bang and humans came from a blob of molecules. I believe there is a One Above, why should I have to pretend to deny that?
kingsjester

Pro

Though I also believe in "One Above", I believe it is necessary to learn about evolution in school.
I look forward to this debate.
Unity

Con

I do not mind learning the basics but why is it important to go into detail? I know it is not accurate because religion makes more sense and has more proof! I do not want to even appear to another soul as though I deny Him or His ways and laws. Why should we learn it?
kingsjester

Pro

originally I took this debate because you implied that you were against evolution being taught in school at all and then you switched to being only taught the basics and not the details. My question is, are you switching your argument now because that makes it difficult for me to know what to argue against, but I digress.

I will present my case/rebuttal in this round

1. It is important to keep the kids educated.
If you were to outlaw teaching evolution in school, it would basically be stifling the education of the students. By teaching them evolution, you are allowing them to learn about another theory of how the world came into being. It also teaches them why evolutionists believe what they believe. If you were to remove evolution teaching from schools, kids would think that all evolutionists were were a bunch of idiots who believed we evolved from monkeys. They wouldn't know why the evolutionist believed what they believed and it would leave them very uninformed.
Now, whether evolution is true or not is yet unproved, and even though I believe in creationism, I have yet to see anyone prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that creationism is what really happened. Therefore, the only truly safe and intelligent way to go about this is teaching both the idea of creationism and evolution in school and allowing the kids to decide for themselves.

This leads to my next point which is
2. Even though evolution shouldn't be taught in school as a fact, it should be taught as a possible true theory along with the rest of the theories/religions.
Granted, evolution is taught as fact in science classes, there are classes that teach it as a theory along side Christianity, Buddhism, and Hinduism etc.. There are classes such as Ancient World History that teach these not as a fact, but as a theory in order to educate the kids on what and why people believe what they do.

This leads me to my third and final point
3. You cannot determine what the "Basics" of evolution are.
There is no way to set a specific guideline on what the basics of evolution are so you either have to teach evolution in school or not at all (and as I have stated before banning the teaching of evolution as a theory would stifle the flow of knowledge in school).
I urge my opponent to establish what we are officially debating here. Are we debating whether evolution should taught in school at all or that it should be taught in a more vague fashion?
Unity

Con

With all due respect and most sincere apologies, my opponent,
My opinions have not changed. I am sorry to have confused you. When I began this debate I had practically no experience here. I can no longer continue this debate. You agree with me on point two, though I think I also omitted my thoughts on that point. I have already answered point one and do not feel like clarifying, as I do not feel like rebutting point 3, though I disagree.
My opinion on the debate was that in religious schools it should be an option for those who do not want to learn about evolution to do another program that consists of the main concepts of evolution and what your religion says on this theory.
I apologize heartily for the trouble and waste of time I have caused you.
If people would like to finish the debate please paste your arguments under comments and I will copy them under your name into the debate.
Again sincere apologies and best wishes,
Unity
kingsjester

Pro

I will not tell you to vote for me just because my opponent conceded please vote on who made a better case in the rounds already used and ignore any of the rounds remaining. Thanks
Unity

Con

I thank my contender for his ways of justice acts. I apologize to all for the lack of essence in this debate.
I can only ask for forgiveness and a continuation of the right to prevail.
kingsjester

Pro

Read rounds 1 -3 thanks
Unity

Con

Surprise! In this debate the instigator and contender agree... :P
kingsjester

Pro

Nothing to write here.
Posted by Unity 3 years ago
Unity
I am terribly sorry to anyone who was interested in this debate. Though I want you to vote fairly, I want to say that personally I would have voted for kingsjester. His debate was presented so much better than mine. Congratulations! :)
Posted by Unity 3 years ago
Unity
I do agree with you in points and I am not going to enter arguments. We both have our opinions and I respect you as a separate person.
I am going to say that I am actually a Jew and I feel your perception of me is incorrect. What you said of the bible- is that the old or new testament?
I do believe education is important but I do not believe in over- indulging where it is not necessary.
I see what you are saying about your chosen parable although I still feel my points stand.
That is all okay- you are not wrong; these are just opinions here. So I will leave it at peace (although all arguments I have are never meant to be below peace anyway).
Let me end by saying something I have strong belief in, derived from understanding and experience: we are both right, as there is always more than 1 way to interpret things.
Posted by jackintosh 3 years ago
jackintosh
I am so extremely sorry to hear that. I beg of you to reconsider. Education about anything is valuable.reading northern ideas and taking in other thoughts are crucial to a strong independent mind. To make a life decision, without knowing more than one books methods is not way to embrace the future.

As far as Peter pan, it was first a book by the way. And I used it spexifially as the idea of a fairy tale to convey a moral is widely used in the bible. Many of the tales told in the bible were even borrowed and rewritten for the bible itself.

As far as learning, you make a good point. But u believe that in a match between the two of us I would know quite a bit more about the bible, religion, philosophy etc... I have learned more about religion than most who believe in it. As a life time seeker of knowledge and wisdom i feel you have a lot to learn.

Please I emplore you to broaden your mind.
Posted by Unity 3 years ago
Unity
I am learning evolution in school- I have a friend who complains to me every day about it. That is why I started this debate really- to see what arguments would come up.
Your analogy was also incorrect as Peter Pan is a made up movie, where as religion and G-d is a common belief for all ages, a religion.
I also noticed you said you read religious books- reading is not the same as learning. And thank you for the offer but I politely decline as I attend a religious school and do not ever intend to delve into other religions' philosophy.
Posted by jackintosh 3 years ago
jackintosh
How do you know "religion makes more sense and has more proof' if you do not learn about evolution? that's like saying I believe fairy dust makes you fly because Peter Pan makes more sense than Gravitational theory. Just like literature is taught in English classes, Science should be taught in science classes and religion taught in Sunday school. I suggest learning about religions, and even reading the bible! I have ready it 4 times, (if you include the Jefferson bible) and i am an atheist. i have also read, the Koran and the Apocrypha, the book of the dead (most of it anyways), Bhagavad Gita and a handful of other religious texts... learning as much as you can while you can is extremely important for a healthy mind.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 3 years ago
RoyLatham
UnitykingsjesterTied
Reasons for voting decision: In a debate it's important to think carefully about the wording of the resolution. Then give the *reasons* why you believe what you believe. Many sincere Christians believe in evolution, for example the Catholic Church, so you need convincing arguments as to why you think they are wrong. Con conceded without really making a case.
Vote Placed by justin.graves 3 years ago
justin.graves
UnitykingsjesterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Total Con failure. It was worse than all six Twilight movies. Or were there seven? Was it five? Never mind, I really don't care.
Vote Placed by Anon_Y_Mous 3 years ago
Anon_Y_Mous
UnitykingsjesterTied
Reasons for voting decision: It seems that the Pro/Con has been mixed up. I hope so, at least. Unity seemed to have more grammatical errors in their writing. Arguments go to kingsjester because Unity's only argument was 'There is proof', which was stated with no sources.