Lukas_Markham
MeinFrankenmind

Is it more reasonable to worship one god or many(i.e Greek mythology)?

Lukas_Markham

Pro

I don't want a full on argument on this i just want to know whether or not it would make more sense to worship more than just one god.
MeinFrankenmind

Con

Hey.

My answer will be from a little bit of a philosophical viewpoint; one that is very tilted and one which contains many biases, but, I believe it is a reasonable one so I will use it to respond to your question.

I think it'd be most reasonable to combine the two ideas into one. Gods are beings which are to be worshipped and respected, which in turn means all that a god represents is to be worshipped and respected(this idea will become clearer when I get into Greek mythology). But worship is a practice that should be reserved solely for gods, the beings themselves who are responsible for creating and ordering such things as water, love, and the universe (because if you're going to worship anything, let it at least be a god). So we are left with only respect, and possibly admiration and awe, for those things now.

In Greek mythology there are the great Olympians. There is Aphrodite, who is the goddess of love and grace. Appollo is the god of music, poetry and prophecy. Of course there is Zeus, the god of order and fate. Also, among others, there is Athena, the goddess of wise counsel. I think it would be reasonable to live your life with respect for such things.

Let's now look at Christianity, a religion who's practicers worship only one god. In Christianity, that god is God and right away we can take something from this, to respect that which is because it is. In other words, have an innate respect for all things which make up the universe because if not for their existence there would be no universe to live in. Looking at the Ten Commandments we see that it is structured mainly to direct behavior toward being virtuous by respecting other people; thou shall not kill, steal, adulterize, etc. and many of the teachings of Christ are similar in their nature. I think it is reasonable to have respect for other people.

To have an innate respect for all things, and to hold some things in special regard such as love, music, the earth, order and other people is a reasonable way to live in my opinion.
Lukas_Markham

Pro

I agree completely with the idea of combining them.
But still I don't understand that at the beginning of recorded history most cultures worshiped many gods instead of just one, like why can't somebody do that now. I feel it would make more sense, for example; for a woman who is having trouble getting pregnant to worship and pray to one god who specializes in just fertility rather than praying to a God who has dealings with everything.
I think like the one God would be over burden with many and widely varying prayers and in a sense, "not answer them" But the one God idea brings the fact that you don't necessarily have to please him/her and just abide by the set rules he/she gives out, whereas with the multiple gods idea if you piss of the god of good fortune then prepare yourself for some random hardships until you please him.

(I'd like to add that i'm learning as i go along)
MeinFrankenmind

Con

Well, the Christians delegated that their god be omnipotent, so he is capable of handling it all himself. Which can be a pretty self-empowering notion if seen the right way.

I think it probably has something to do with what a culture considers to be the most powerful thing(s). A lot of early civilations worshipped things having to do with nature and represented their dieties with images of animals such as snakes, tigers, and elephants. In those times it was very hard for a human being to defend him or herself against such mighty beasts. Some cultures had weather gods, sun and moon gods, etc. One thing that can be said of all these things is that they had great influence over the behavior of human beings. This influence diminished with the development of technology and more humanoid representations, like the gods of ancient Greece, emerged.

In Christianity, one man is seen as more powerful than all because of what he did for other people; he healed them. No matter what nature dished out, this man could heal you. He's also fabled as having the ability to walk on water and to turn water into wine; clearly the forces of nature had no hold on this man. Even death could not hold him for longer than three days.

If that is the case then I imagine it is happening today in places all over the world.
Lukas_Markham

Pro

{I'd like to say i'm very happy that i have a reasonable person to debate with and not some 8 year old}

Thanks for this great debate but sadly I can't seem to think of a response to that last one. But this was also just something to further understand why people have stopped believing in multiple gods altogether and, since i had a contender to shed some more information on this topic i couldn't be happier.

I would ask that you would still respect my decision in worshiping the nine divines.[yes they're fictitious but i like the way they worship them]

Again I couldn't be happier that you chose to contend with me.
MeinFrankenmind

Con

You're very welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed talking with me as much as I did with you, I'd be happy to talk or debate with you any time. Hell yeah dude, you can worship the nine divines all you want. They're awesome.
Posted by Lukas_Markham 3 years ago
Lukas_Markham
I believe it's better to worship multiple gods.
Posted by Lukas_Markham 3 years ago
Lukas_Markham
Yeah
Posted by Owlz 3 years ago
Owlz
So ... is Pro for multiple gods being more logical or is it for one god being more logical?