its.chandler
Samcoder1

Is it normal for a white girl to date a black guy

its.chandler

Pro

I think that it is normal for a white girl to date/like/marry a black man. I don't see a problem with it.
Samcoder1

Con

Although on the rise, only 1 in 25 white people are in relationships with those of different races. Therefore it is not normal. If you are asking whether it is ethically permitted, I don't see a reason why not. So it is not normal, but that doesn't mean it should be discouraged or encouraged either way. Date whoever you want. If you want to date a black man, then that's fine, and likewise if that isn't your cup of tea then that's fine as well. Why even ask this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk...
its.chandler

Pro

Your taking the question to literal. Not natural as the way you put it, but natural as in weird. And I understand that there is no reason why or why not a white girl and a black guy can't be in a relationship . Sure the black and white debate is over, but people still judge the idea of the 2 races being a couple. I think that it is fine, but people disagree. When I told my brother that I would be fine with dating a black guy, he didn't like the idea; other people don't like the idea either. Its like an Asian dating an american, I don't think that it is weird, but some people think that an Asian should be with an Asian and an american with and american. Try not to take the question to literal. Think of it like this; would you ever date a black person? would you think it would be weird for you too?
Samcoder1

Con

I would date anyone of any race if I felt particularly close with them through closely related humour etc. I personally don't find black women attractive, but I do find oriental women attractive, so ultimately it comes down to personal taste. Some people may not be able to empathise with you if you went out with a black guy, as they may not find black men attractive. It is the same with people being uncomfortable with Gay couples. So I think people may be afraid of this lack of empathy and get nasty, but that is their problem. They are welcome to their opinions and their judgements, but to let it influence your own life would be to lose all independence which I would perfer not to have.

I'd say it is not normal for people to date people of different races partly perhaps because generally people are attracted to others with similar genes, and if someone doesn't look like you, it is likely that they share fewer genes with you than someone who does look like you. Richard Dawkins' 'The Selfish Gene' expands on this nicely with there being a higher survival chance for individual genes if mating occurs between organisms with similar genetic codes.

However this doesn't explain why you ought to date someone of the same race, it simply explains why on average people may choose to date people with the same race.

Ultimately, it is somewhat going against the grain, but people will always judge and have opinions, it's human nature, so just ignore it and do what you want to do.
its.chandler

Pro

I wouldn't date an Asian. Sure some are attractive, but most of the time I don't find them attractive. I think that there are a lot of white guys who wouldn't date a black girl. Maybe people are just self conscious and think that people will judge them if they date a black person. And I didn't know that people are generally attracted to people with similar genes. How is this?
Samcoder1

Con

It's possible that they are worried about judgement, but in this day and age racism is considered one of the ultimate sins, so any judgement would really be promptly destroyed by the general public. As for being attracted to those with similar genes, Dawkins describes genes as selfish in that they exist to propagate themselves and that is it. Therefore genes are constantly looking for ways to propagate themselves, and that would include providing an inbuilt desire to mate with those with similar genetic codes. This would explain why on the whole, humans don't tend to be sexually attracted to other animals. It is just a hypothesis though, I personlly don't have any proof for it although it may be out there. Dating a black girl would be absolutely fine, but I don't think I would love her because of initial physical attraction. But who knows.
Posted by its.chandler 9 months ago
its.chandler
Thank you!
Posted by EvanescentEfflorescence 9 months ago
EvanescentEfflorescence
Mm, I appear to be wrong. I take back what I said...
Posted by its.chandler 9 months ago
its.chandler
Other people think that it is wrong. my brother doesn't like the idea. He's not racist or anything he just doesn't think that it is normal. And I'm not, I'm dating a white guy; I just think that people have a problem with it, or they call it weird. My brother said that he would never date a black girl, and his friends claim that they won't either. They think it is weird or not natural, I wanted too see what other people thought of it.
EvanescentEfflorescence
Looks like you're attempting to justify your decision to date a black guy. If you really thought that there was nothing wrong, then you wouldn't be on here trying to defend it.