BAudett
ReginaP

Is it possible to romantically love more than one person at a time

BAudett

Pro

1. Love can be defined as an intense feeling of protection and a strong intimate connection with someone. This definition of love has been agreed upon by both sides of the debate.
2. Romantic love is along the same lines but can include a sexual aspect as well.
3. Love is different than lust but people can love more than one person at a time just like they can lust after more than one person at a time.
4. The term polygamy refers to the relationships someone has with multiple people. All the people involved are aware and consenting of the main person"s relationships with the other people.
5. Loving someone is different than being in love and it is easier to love more than one person at a time than to be in love with more than person. It is more likely to see someone in love with one person and then romantically love a couple other people at the same time.
6. Although cheating is wrong it can be considered one person romantically loving more than one person at a time. Having an affair is a better example because it is two relationships at once but one is a secret.
7. Therefore, it is possible to romantically love more than one person at once.
Non-Controversial Premises
Premises 1, 2, and 4 are non-controversial. Premises 1 and 2 are non-controversial because they are definitions of love and romantic love that were understood by both parties. Premise 4 is also non-controversial because that is the definition of polygamy.
Controversial Premises
3. This premise is controversial because my opponent may think otherwise that love is similar to lust because of the possibility of having more than one object of affection.
5. Premise 5 is considered controversial because although I feel as though there is a difference between love and being in love my opponent may disagree.
6. This premise is controversial because cheating is always a touchy subject and is very situational.
ReginaP

Con

1. I agree with this definition of love.
2. Romantic love usually involves sexual relations but I suppose there are certain situations where a sexual aspect is lacking.
3. Although it is true that one can lust over multiple people at once, I disagree that love is the same way. Loving someone is more than just a physical attraction, as lust is, and involves various feelings and emotions that are not so easily put out on display.
4. I agree with the definition of polygamy but I think that polygamy does not apply in this case. Polygamy can lead to the person developing stronger feelings for someone over another which can cause jealousy. Jealous people would do just about anything to regain the affection of their loved one and feelings become less genuine.
5. Love is different than being in love because you love family and friends but are not actually in love with them. Platonic love is definitely for more than one person but being in love is restricted to one person at a time. There is too much at risk to throw such strong feelings around like that.
6. When people have affairs it is usually because they have lost feelings for their significant other and are searching for that in someone else while still being their partner. That is not romantically loving more than one person at a time because you are betraying that person"s trust and going behind their back which is anything but love.
7. Therefore, it is not possible to romantically love more than one person at a time.
Non-Controversial Premises:
Premise 1 is non-controversial because I agreed to the definition of love.
Premise 2 is non-controversial as well.
Controversial Premises:
Premises 4, 5, 6 are controversial. Premise 4 is controversial because I am disagreeing with the previous statement regarding polygamy and giving reasons as to why I disagree. Premise 5 is also controversial because it states that being in love is restricted to one person at a time which is what my partner is trying to prove, that it can be for more than one person at a time. And premise 6 is controversial because cheating is always a hard topic with many different sides and angles to it.
BAudett

Pro

2. It is very common in today's society for people to romantically love each other and not engage in sexual acts. This is called being asexual and being asexual is a good gateway to loving more than one person at once because there is no risk of contracting STI"s or the disappointment of an underwhelming sexual partner.
3. I agree that loving someone is more than just a physical attraction, as lust is. But if you are not planning on settling down with one particular person you can open yourself up to anyone who is willing to take you as you are. This is both in a sexual way and an emotional way, if you put your heart out on the line chances are someone will take the bait or more than one person will for that matter.
4. Although that may be the case regarding some polygamist relationships, the majority or polygamist families are completely comfortable with the multiple partner aspect of their life. Jealousy is a natural emotion which people experience on a daily basis, unless you are crazy a little jealousy should not ruin a relationship of any sort, polygamist or otherwise.
5. Why restrict romantic love to only one person at a time when platonic love can be for several people all at once? Love is love, you shouldn"t restrict something so powerful.
6. I disagree. Of course there are instances when people cheat because they no longer love their partner but there are also instances where people want to have their cake and eat it too. This means that they love their partner but want something new or something different with someone else. And that something new or something different can turn into a love affair.
ReginaP

Con

2. Just because you"re asexual doesn"t mean you want to romantically love more than one person at a time. Being asexual is simply a preference to not engage in sexual acts with their partner, not be with anyone they want because they aren"t interested in sex. Love is more than that.
3. I agree with this statement up until you say that more than one person will take the bait. Why would you want more than person to take the bait, the bait meaning your heart, that would just lead to so many conflicts between you and whoever else is involved.
4. Jealousy is a major part of why people break up or fall out of love with someone. And if you are in a relationship with someone who has multiple partners jealousy is going to run wild, it"s only natural. This natural reaction makes it virtually impossible for someone to romantically love more than one person at a time without one of them getting upset or insecure.
5. Platonic love is not as strong as romantic love and does not entail the same things which are what makes romantic love so exclusive. You wouldn"t tell your cousin your deepest desires or secrets just because you have familial love for them. Romantic love drives you to be completely open with one person because you know for a fact that they would not judge you or look at you any differently.
6. Cheating is cheating, it is not love. It may be love for the person and their secret lover but it is not love going behind someone"s back like that, regardless of the situation.
BAudett

Pro

2. I agree but I"m sure there are asexual people out there that are romantically involved with more than person and their lack of sexual desires makes that easier to accomplish.
4. Jealousy is an issue in any relationship. For someone romantically involved with more than one person at once, what happens with one partner should not interfere with the other relationship. And if it does then they would need some sort of outlet to relieve that jealousy, not ruin the entire operation.
5. More often than not, people have more than one romantic partner in their lifetime. And throughout their lifetime they tell their deepest desires and secrets to these people and sometimes the relationships work out and sometimes they don"t. But why is it okay for that to be the case but not okay to have some of those romantic relationships at once? It is the same principle but instead of it being spread apart by years it is simultaneous.
6. Cheating is wrong if done for the wrong reasons. Going outside of your relationship in seek of something new, not necessarily better, is okay as long as your partner is accepting of it. And if in turn that something new turns into love then so be it.
ReginaP

Con

4. How can what someone does in one relationship not effect what happens in the other? These people will constantly be vying for that one person"s attention which would put a strain on all the relationships involved. It seems like a lot of work for no reason.
5. Loving someone and providing for them and caring for them requires a lot of time and effort. Sometimes people are unable to maintain one relationship because they are so busy with their own lives. If you have your own separate life and then two or three romantic relationships on top of that, you are spreading yourself really thin. Spreading yourself thin among all the aspects of your life would cause turmoil in the relationships because you would not be able treat them the way they deserve to be treated. That is through no fault of your own, you just have too much on your plate to give your undivided attention to more than one person romantically.
6. I have not come across someone that would be accepting of their partner seeking a new person to be romantically involved with. It does not seem plausible that that person would be so okay with their partner blatantly cheating on them.
BAudett

Pro

1. Romantic love is along the same lines but can include a sexual aspect as well.
2. Love is different than lust but people can love more than one person at a time just like they can lust after more than one person at a time.
3. The term polygamy refers to the relationships someone has with multiple people. All the people involved are aware and consenting of the main person"s relationships with the other people.
4. Loving someone is different than being in love and it is easier to love more than one person at a time than to be in love with more than person. It is more likely to see someone in love with one person and then romantically love a couple other people at the same time.
5. Although cheating is wrong it can be considered one person romantically loving more than one person at a time. Having an affair is a better example because it is two relationships at once but one is a secret.
6. Therefore, it is possible to romantically love more than one person at once.
My argument is still valid because my opponent gave a lot of hypothetical analogies and not a lot of reasoning that would disprove my argument that it is possible to romantically love more than one person at once.
ReginaP

Con

1. Romantic love usually involves sexual relations but I suppose there are certain situations where a sexual aspect is lacking.
2. Although it is true that one can lust over multiple people at once, I disagree that love is the same way. Loving someone is more than just a physical attraction, as lust is, and involves various feelings and emotions that are not so easily put out on display.
3. I agree with the definition of polygamy but I think that polygamy does not apply in this case. Polygamy can lead to the person developing stronger feelings for someone over another which can cause jealousy. Jealous people would do just about anything to regain the affection of their loved one and feelings become less genuine.
4. Love is different than being in love because you love family and friends but are not actually in love with them. Platonic love is definitely for more than one person but being in love is restricted to one person at a time. There is too much at risk to throw such strong feelings around like that.
5. When people have affairs it is usually because they have lost feelings for their significant other and are searching for that in someone else while still being their partner. That is not romantically loving more than one person at a time because you are betraying that person"s trust and going behind their back which is anything but love.
6. Therefore, it is not possible to romantically love more than one person at a time.
My argument still stands because although my partner gaves reasons as to they thought it was plausible; it seems too far-fetched to be reality. People can barely keep one relationship alive let alone multiple ones simultaneously. My partner helped my cause when he said that Jealousy is an issue in all relationships, because it is. People naturally get jealous and having more than one romantic partner is going to cause a lot of fights and envy.