Is it possible to romantically love more than one person at once?
Debate Rounds (4)
(2.) Both sides have also agreed to the definition of romantic love. Romantic love is when you feel an emotional high and passion when you and your lover are together.
(3.) Romantic relationships involve intimacy between people, whether it is between two people or more. A person may be involved in a romantic relationship with as many people as they want. Referring back to the definition of romantic love, it does not specify a number of lovers so this can be interpreted as being able to have this type of relationship with multiple people.
(4.) Love is not to be confused with lust. Lust is a very strong sexual desire. Lust and love can be easily confused because of the fact that romantic relationships tend to involve sex. These two things can be taken as the same feeling.
(5.) There are no limits as to how many people one person can romantically love at once. If they are having certain feelings of being in love with one person then it is definitely possible for the to gain these feelings again but for other people. Sometimes feelings are uncontrollable. One may try to deny that they have these feelings for someone else but it does not change the fact that they feel this way.
(6.) Someone can feel the same emotions they feel for one person for another. These feelings do not have rules that come with them saying that they are only felt between two people. People can choose to only be involved with one person but that does not mean they do not, will not, or cannot develop romantic feelings for one other person or even two.
(7.) Therefore, it is possible to romantically love more than one person at once
Premises 1,2, and 4 are non controversial because they are simply definitions.
Premises 3,5, and 6 are controversial. Another may feel these are not true for them and may have different views. Premise 3 may be looked at different by another person. They may have an argument that explains reasons against it. Premises 5 and 6 are based on the way I feel. It is not expected for my opponent to feel the same way. Others may have different opinions.
2. Also agreed to the definition of romantic love being a feeling of emotional high and passion when your with your significant other.
3. People can be intimate with more than one person and still not be in love with any of them.
4. I agree with the definition of lust being a strong sexual desire.
5. A person can have love for more than one person but not be in love with them.
6. Being in love with someone, a person feels they cant be without them, so it may seem they"re in love with more than one person but really they"ll always put one before the rest.
7. Love is a voluntarily accepted illusion.
8. People change and you may be in love with the idea of what a person could be but not whom they truly are.
9. Loving someone means giving them all of your time and attention
10. Thus, a person can not be in love with more than one person at the same time.
Premises 1,2, and 4 are definitions so they are non-controversial.
Premises 3,5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 may be disagreed with by others so they are controversial.R03;
5. If someone feels they are in love with one person then it is definitely possible for them to get those same feelings for another person.
6. Being in love does not necessarily mean one person cannot live without the other.
7. Love cannot always be voluntary. There are feelings that come with love that one cannot help but feel.
8. A person may change in the relationship but that does not mean they are not in love with them. If they feel that one partner is not who they thought they were they will
9. Time and attention do not play into how someone determines whether they are in love with someone or not. One person may feel their lover is not paying attention to them enough but that will not make them suddenly fall out of love with them.
(5.) Feeling your in love and knowing your in love are two different things. You can have love for someone and not be in love with them and you can in fact have love for multiple people.
(6.) A person whom is truly in love can"t picture their self with anyone else. Unless they fall out of love with that person they do not want to be without them.
(7.) A person really only has one true love. It"s not that falling in love is voluntary it"s the fact that its an accepted illusion, nobody truly knows what love is.
(8.) A person can be in love with someone who they think is kind and laid back but in a few months find that the person is really rude and controlling and fall out of love with the person.
(9.) Not receiving attention and time from a person your in love with can cause you to fall out of love with them. Also you may receive the attention from someone else and begin to lose feelings for your significant other and start to fall in love with this new person.
5. Feeling that your are in love would mean that you believe you are developing those feelings for someone. If it is possible to love more than one person then it is possible to be in love with more than one person because those feelings are very similar.
6. Not being able to see yourself with someone else does not mean that you cannot fall in love with someone else. One can realize they are in love with more than one person but only want to be with another more.
8. Someone can discover that the person they were in love with isn't who they are and yes they can possibly fall out of love but that can happen with more than one partner.
9. Not receiving enough attention and time does not necessarily make you fall out of love with someone. Being in love is a strong feeling and that cannot just simply go away but it is possible to have more of those feelings for another. This would mean you are still in love with person A but more in love with person B or C, etc.
5. You can believe your falling for someone but not actually fall in love with them, developing feelings can go away faster than feelings that are actually there. Being in love with someone and having love for someone is very different you wouldn"t see yourself being with someone you have love for for the rest of your life but you would with someone you are in love with.
6. If a person only wants to be with one person, then it is clear that that person is who they truly are in love with. Being in love with someone and realizing you have feelings for someone else may cause you to push one away, causing you to lose feelings for the other as time goes on.
8. If a person finds the person they were in love with isn"t who they thought they were then they"ll move on no matter how many times, losing feelings for each person as they move on.
9. Not getting time and attention from someone you love can make you realize your holding on to something that is not what you want and can quickly fall out of love with that person. Falling out of love with someone can happen in a day or in a few years there is no set time it takes for a person to fall out of love, but it does happen. Having feelings for another is possible but you cant truly be in love with someone and still be in love with someone else cause you"ll always put one before the other.
2. Romantic love is when you feel an emotional high and passion when you and your lover are together.
3. Intimacy plays a role in romantic relationships and it is more than just sex.
4. Love and lust are two different things. Lust is simply a sexual desire.
5. There are no limits to how many people one person can romantically love at once. They can feel more or less of the feeling of being in love for different people.
6. Being in love is not limited to just being between two people.
7. Therefore, it is possible to romantically love more than one person at once.
I have restated my premises and edited where necessary. My argument still stands: It is possible to romantically love more than one person at once.
(2.) I also agree on love being a strong sexual desire.
(3.) Intimacy doesn"t have to involve being in love at all.
(4.) A person can only have one true love.
(5.) Being in love and having love for someone are two different things.
(6.) People fall out of love when starting to fall in love with someone else.
(7.) Thus, a person can"t be in love with more than one person at the same time.
I have restated my premises and made any necessary changes and I still agree on the definitions that have been stated but my argument still remains that you can only be in love with one person at a time.
No votes have been placed for this debate.
You are not eligible to vote on this debate
This debate has been configured to only allow voters who meet the requirements set by the debaters. This debate either has an Elo score requirement or is to be voted on by a select panel of judges.