osi101
lsavoie

Is it possible to romantically love more than one person

osi101

Con

1. Romantic love is a strong emotional bond between two people where both parties share the same love and compassion for one another.
2. The romantic bond between two people has to be known to everyone around them.
3. A relationship between a man and a woman can only work when both sides agree to fully committed to one another for the rest of their lives.
4. In order to prove one"s commitment, commitment between two people must go as far a marriage.
5. People have to first date in order to find the right person to love.
6. Just because a man and a woman date that does not mean that they are committed to each other.
7. People sometimes have to keep searching for the right person to love therefore dating does not show true love.
8. If a person decides to break the bond between his or her partner then he or she was never in love with their partner in the first place.
9. The romantic bond can be broken if a person decides to break up, have a divorce, or to cheat with another partner.
10. Cheating on your partner proves that a person was never in love and that the relationship was based on sex.
11. A break up or divorce shows that a person gave up on the relationship due to reasons of stress.
12. People cannot date another person when they are still thinking about the last relationship that did not work out.
13. Therefore people must think about and commit to the person they truly romantically love.

Noncontroversial premises: 1 and 2
Premise one explains the romantic bond between two people and premise two explains that the romantic bond is public.
Controversial premises 3-13
True love can never last unless people are willing to commit to each other and they must prove their commitment with marriage. Dating a person only shows that you like the person or that you find your date attractive. Dating multiple people does not show love because of the lack of commitment. Breaking up or cheating on your partner proves that a person has the inability to love one person only. A person must get over their ex in order to date a new person. Also, people are afraid to commit to a new person when the last relationship did not work out.
lsavoie

Pro

1. I agree with your definition of romantic love.
2. I do not agree that the romantic bond between two people must be known to everyone around those two people.
3. I do not agree that two people have to commit to each other for the rest of their lives to have a romantic bond.
4. I do not agree that in order to prove you are committed you have to get married.
5. I do not agree that people have to date in order to fall in love.
6. I do agree that just because two people date does not mean that they are committed to one another.
7. I agree that it usually takes dating a few people before you find the person you want to marry. I do not agree although that dating does not constitute being in true love.
8. I do not agree that if a person "breaks" a romantic bond between their partner that they were never in love with them.
9. I agree that a romantic bond can be broken if two people break up, divorce, or cheat, but I do not agree that this is always the case.
10. I do not agree that if a person cheats on their partner that they were never in love with them or that the relationship was based on sex.
11. I do not believe that a break up or divorce shows that a person gave up on the relationship due to stress.
12. I do not agree that people cannot date someone if they are still thinking about their last relationship.
13. I do agree that people must think about and fully commit to the person they are romantically in love with.

Non-Controversial Premises:

Premises 1,6,7,9,13 are not controversial. Premise 1 is not controversial because I agree with your definition of romantic love. Premise 6 is also not controversial because I agree that not everyone who is in a relationship is fully committed to their partner. There are many different reasons why people choose to date. I agree with the beginning of premise 7 that you usually have to date a few people before you find the person you want to marry, although; that is not always the case. I also agree with premise 13, that romantic bonds can broken if two people break up, divorce, or cheat, but again, this is not always the case. Premise 13 is also not controversial because I agree that a person must think about and fully commit to the person they are romantically in love with.

Controversial Premises:

2. I do not believe that for two people to be romantically in love that everyone has to know about it. Being romantically in love with someone includes the two people who are romantically in love. What other people think or know about it is irrelevant.
3. I do not agree that two people have to commit to each other for the rest of their lives in order to be romantically in love. There are many different reasons two people don"t stay together, but that does not mean that they were never romantically in love.
4. I also don"t believe that you have to get married to prove that you are committed to the person you are romantically in love with. Being married, essentially, is the signing of a piece of paper in order to make it legal and recognized. Just because two people do not have this piece of paper does not mean that they are not committed to one another or romantically in love.
5. I don"t believe that two people have to date to be romantically in love. Although this is conventional, it is not always the case.
7. Although I agree with the first part of premise 7, I do not agree with the second half that says dating does not show true love. Two people can be romantically in love without being married. There are many people who can attest to this from personal experience, myself included.
8. I do not agree that if a person breaks a bond with their partner that they were never in love with them. This may be the case in certain circumstances, but not in all. There are many people who remain romantically in love with another but cannot be together for religious regions, personal reasons, etc.
10. Although I do not agree with cheating, just because a person engages in it does not mean that they were never or are not romantically in love with their partner. I would also like to know what your definition of cheating entails.
11. I do not agree that divorces or break ups happen because of stress. There are numerous factors that go into these things. Although stress could be one of the reasons, it is not the sole one.
12. I also do not agree that a person cannot date another person if they are still thinking about their last partner. This happens rather often, and dating someone is ultimately a title that is not always relevant to how a person truly feels. Therefore, you can date another person even if you are still in love with someone else.R03;
osi101

Con

1. I disagree that a person can love more than one person romantically because love is something that a person can share with only one person.
2. Dating is the first step to showing a person likes another person.
3. Throughout time, dating can establish a romantic bond when two people enjoy each other company both emotionally and sexually.
4.When people date more than one person they are choosing who to be with.
5. Most people don"t like knowing that their partner is dating someone else while in the relationship because those people feel unloved.
6. A person who dates another person while in a relationship is considered a cheater in society.
7. Cheating on your partner proves that a person does not love their partner because their partner did something wrong in the relationship. For example, a person can cheat on their partner because of the lack of sexual activity in the relationship.
8. Even after a break up, a person can have feeling for an ex. However, those people can"t date a new person because they are still in love with their ex.
9. Therefore, those people are forced to choose between an ex and another person they have feelings for.
lsavoie

Pro

1.I disagree that love is something that can only be shared with one other person. Every person is different from the next. When you fall romantically in love, it is never the same for different people. You can"t compare the love you have for two different people because the reasons you are in love with them are for different reasons.
2.I agree that dating is usually the first step to showing you like someone.
3.I agree with this premise, but I don"t understand what it has to do with being romantically in love with two people at the same time.
4.I"m not sure what you mean by this premise. If someone is dating two people, then really they are not choosing who to be with because if they were they wouldn"t be dating two people.
5.I agree with this premise, but again I do not understand how this supports your argument that you cannot romantically love two people at the same time.
6.I also agree with this premise but I don"t think it supports your argument.
7.I do not agree that a man cheating on his girlfriend means he was never in love with her.
8.I do not agree that you cannot date someone else if you are still romantically in love with your ex. You can fall romantically in love with your new partner and still be romantically in love with your ex because you are in love with these two people for different reasons. While you cannot compare the two loves, it does not mean that they don"t have the same intensity.
9.A person is not forced to choose between an ex and a new partner if they do not want to. Even if they decided to choose, they can still be romantically in love with two people at the same time.
osi101

Con

1. When you fall romantically in love with a person it is a bond that two people create and it"s a bond that a person would have with nobody else. A person who loves everyone is a very friendly person. A romantic bond is created two people enjoy each other"s company and like each other intimately. A person having a romantic bond with one person makes love something special compared to a person loving multiple people or everybody makes love sound like a friendship. A polygamous relationship sounds more like friends with benefits.
2. After dating one person, a person can decide if they want to love their date or find a new date. People dating multiple people shows no love and that they are using people for their sexual intentions.
3. Two people have to love each other emotionally and sexually to create a romantic bond. Trying to the same with another person makes love sound cheap. It"s like making people sound like objects. You can love as many objects as you want but you can"t do the same to people since people have feelings you should consider.
4. When people decide to date two people, that person can leave one relationship as soon as it goes bad. Love cannot be divided for multiple people. A person can only give one partner everything they have. In any type of relationship, people have needs that have to be satisfied. In order for other people to get the same amount of love they would have to get it from someone else and not from their current partner.
5. People who create polygamous relationships are the type of people who base their monogamous relationships on sex. There have always been issues that a partner is being unfaithful in a relationship. American society frowns upon polygamous relationships because people want an excuse to have sex with more than one person and they mistake polygamous relationship as a loving relationship. Would you feel unloved if your partner decided to love another person and used you for sex?
6. People do not appreciate their partners loving another person. Those people are not receiving the love that they deserve from their partners. In addition, polygamy forces a person to care for two people. If they neglect one of their partners then that partner will feel unloved. The polygamous relationship will not last unlike a monogamous relationship.
7. Polygamous relationships may be possible in another society but in American society people are only allowed to be with one person. A person does not want to know that their partner loves another person because it creates tension when a person in a relationship feels neglected. Ultimately, in any type of relationship you are favoring one person over another because of your feelings are stronger for one person than any other person in the world.
8. Sometimes relationships do not work at all for some people because they don"t know how to love another person. If you don"t know how to love one person then how can you love another person? A person might not be able to love one person properly but they shouldn"t make the mistake of hurting another person because of their inability to love. It only makes sense that a person should love one person one at a time because they can at least learn how to love.
9. A person can go into a new relationship and try to love after heartbreak from an ex. However, that person who is rushing into a new relationship is most likely to make the same mistakes from the last relationship and create a cycle of lost love. A person from the new relationship does not want to hear or to talk about your ex because that person may feel that they are being compared to the ex or that you simply cannot get over your ex. A person can be in a relationship with heartbreak but it is a smart idea to recover from heartbreak first.
lsavoie

Pro

1.To be romantically in love is a type of love that is very strong; I agree with this. I do not agree though that you cannot be romantically in love with two people at the same time. As I stated before, no love can be compared to another love because each person is different and your reasons for falling in love with different people are never the same. Because of this, you can romantically love two people at the same time because each person is different.
2.You cannot say that if a person dates two different people at the same time that they are using them to fulfill sexual desires. A person could be in love with both of those people for different reasons and cannot choose between the two because the feelings they have for them, although they are for different reasons, they are still equally as strong and prominent for both partners.
3.You can create an emotional and sexual bond with more than one person at the same time. This does not make people sound like objects or like you are not considering their feelings. As I have stated many times already, you fall in love with people for different reasons. So even though you are not in love with two different people for the same reasons, it does not mean that you are not romantically in love with both at the same time.
4.You can give two people everything you have at the same time. When you are with one person you can give them all of you and be their supporter. You can do the same with another person when you are with them. Although this may not seem normal or conventional, it can and has been done. You cannot tell someone that they are not romantically in love with more than one person at the same time. They are the only person who could declare this because they know their true feelings inside.
5.You are trying to speak on another person"s behalf in this premise. Men who engage in polygamy do it because of their religious views. You are saying that the only reason people participate in polygamy is because of their sexual desires and that they are using their multiple wives solely for sex. If you were to ask a man who is a polygamist, he would fiercely refuse this argument because all of his wives mean something to him. Polygamy has nothing to do with sexual desires. It is a religion that certain people choose to follow.
6.There are many polygamist relationships that last longer than monogamous ones. Although I agree that when you have multiple wives you are not able to give ALL of your time to each of them, you set aside special times for each of them. People who choose to be in polygamist relationships understand that their partner is not only seeing them, so obviously they know and are okay with the fact that their partner is also romantically in love with other people at the same time as them.
7.Refer to the previous premise. People who participate in polygamy understand that their partner is also going to have other partners besides them and they are okay with this. It is a religion they all follow and this is what they deem to be normal. There are also certain parts of America that do allow polygamy. There is actually a reality TV show, Sister Wives, that takes place in Utah that documents a polygamist family.
8.I agree with this premise. I don"t think this a strong premise for your argument although because you are stating that this person does not know how to love anyone. You cannot argue that they cannot be romantically in love with two people at the same time because they are not even capable of loving one person at a time.
9.I agree with parts of this premise. I do not agree that they cannot fall into romantic love with their new partner. They can still have that romantic love with their ex while developing a new romantic love with their new partner. They can do this simply because these two people are not the same; therefore, it is impossible to compare the two loves.
osi101

Con

People have to understand that love is something that needs to be cherished only between two people. Dating multiple people is something that many people do in modern society but there is no love involved. Love is not something people can just divide for others to share. People have to give everything to one person in order to create a romantic bond. People do make mistakes which cause break ups and divorces but it just means that they are still looking for the one person they love or that they did not give one hundred percent of their love to their partner. Therefore, I believe that romance can only be between two people that truly love each other.
lsavoie

Pro

1.I agree that romantic love is a strong emotional bond between two people where both parties share the same love and compassion for one another.
2.Romantic love does not have to be known or seen by everyone around a person in order for it to exist.
3.Two people do not have to commit themselves to each other for the rest of their lives in order to be in romantic love.
4.You do not have to get married to your partner in order to show you are committed to them. There are many people that stay in relationships and have families with each other and never get married. This does not mean that they are not committed to each other or that they"re not in romantic love.
5.I do not agree that people have to date in order to fall in love. Many times people start out as friends and then realize that there are stronger feelings there than that of just a platonic love.
6.I agree that just because two people date does mean that they are committed to each other.
7.I do not agree that dating does not constitute being in love. There are many people who are dating that are romantically in love with their partner. Just because two people get married does mean that they are more romantically in love with one another than another couple that is not married.
8.Many people in relationships cheat for different reasons. There are also reasons that romantic bonds are broken. However, this does not mean that these two people were never romantically in love with one another just because things did not work out.
9.Romantic bonds are not always broken because a person has cheated, broken up, or divorced. While this is sometimes the case, it isn"t the case all of the time.
10.Just because a person cheats on his or her partner does not mean that they were never romantically in love with them. There are certain circumstances where people cheat and it is purely based on sex. While I do not condone cheating, just because a person performs the act of cheating does not mean that they do not or never did romantically their partner.
11.A breakup or divorce does not show that a person gave up on the relationship due to stress.
12.Someone can date a new person even if they are still not over their ex. This happens a lot. Just because they are still in love with their ex does not mean that they cannot date someone else.
13.People don"t have to commit to just one person. Polygamist relationships prove this. They also prove that a person is capable of romantically loving more than one person at the same time.
Posted by TBR 1 year ago
TBR
OK. This makes more than 40 of these debates.

Is the a class assignment? Are you part of a group? Trolls? Bots? Just what is this.