Aguilajoyce
Crimsonsky410

Is it possible to truly know a person?

Aguilajoyce

Pro

In the wake of the chaos caused by attacks on the public, the question that always arises in the aftermath is, how could we not have foreseen the capability/tendencies of these individuals? Many times the attackers live/work closely with others, who are deeply troubled by the revelations. There are those who believe that truly knowing a person is impossible because of social pressure, i.e., our need to be accepted by our peers. This social pressure forces us to masque, or display only those characteristics that are attractive/valued by our peers and the masking prevents us from ever revealing who we are to others, and others from revealing who they are to us. I don't subscribe to this opinion because I believe that the very same compulsion that makes us comply with societal norms drives us to reveal our true selves to those around us. I believe that unless we are validated, we never feel that we truly exist, and this need for validation is what causes us to, first masque (as a lure) and later, reveal more and more of ourselves as we gain confidence in our relationships. I have many peers who disagree with me, so I'm interested to know how this topic will fare in an debate.

My definition of 'knowing" is functional I., knowing enough to possess some foresight into the person's behavior, or contrarily, to recognize when something is awry.

Thanks for your participation!!!
Crimsonsky410

Con

no, it is not, unless we can read each others minds. can you do that? without this ability, we cannot learn a person, as it is impossible to express your feelings in words. lets see what you have to say.
Aguilajoyce

Pro

So you propose that telepathy as the only way we can know other people (even with my functional definition of knowing) and claim that we cannot express emotions through words!!!

Please my defense below

As the human being is an animal, it is subject to patterns of thought and behaviors characteristic of the species. Our centuries of observation on the human physique, mind, and behavior has resulted in some pretty conclusive evidence about who we are and what motivates us. For example, why do police begin questioning family, friends, coworkers when investigating a person? Because they have observed that the human is a social creature and that we form tight bonds with other humans in order to feel a sense of belonging. When we know the primary motivation of a person, his actions will reveal a pattern, and conversely, we can observe a person's actions to discern their motivations. Despite what we might want to believe, people are not that different in terms of our motivations. I believe that psychological profiles, educational technologies, and worst of all the media, all hinge on our being able to anticipate how people will react to certain stimuli.

In response to our inability to convey emotions with words, I can only counter by asking, what is your favorite novel, or what is your favorite song, or your favorite line of dialog from a movie? What about poems or speeches? What is the NICEST thing that anyone has ever said to you? Now ask yourself why you chose your specific answers. Most likely because they evoke a certain emotion. This might be why genres are categorized by the feelings they aim to evoke: horror/scary, suspense/thriller, romance/love, etc, I hope you get my point.

Let me know what you think!!!
Crimsonsky410

Con

Crimsonsky410 forfeited this round.
Aguilajoyce

Pro

No response :-(
Crimsonsky410

Con

Crimsonsky410 forfeited this round.
Aguilajoyce

Pro

See round 2...
Crimsonsky410

Con

Crimsonsky410 forfeited this round.