Rhythmichunter
Diplomanic

Is it rational to believe in the Christian God?

Rhythmichunter

Con

Hello all,

I would like to engage in a debate as to whether or not there is any empirical, evidence-based reason to believe in the Christian God. I will be defending the position that there are none. There was a similar debate that didn't touch as deeply as I would've like due to the fact that one of the debaters dropped out. Notice that I am being specific in only wishing to address that particular deity. I was hoping it could go something like this.

Round 1: Defining the limits of the Debate and terms
Round 2: Opening Statement
Round 3: 1st Rebuttal
Round 4: 2nd Rebuttal
Round 5: Closing Statement

I thank anyone who wishes to take on this challenge.
Diplomanic

Pro

I accept this debate! This will be my first one, so I look foward to it.
Rhythmichunter

Con

To begin, thank you to my opponent for taking up this debate. I wish him the best of luck and may our discussion be an intellectually fruitful one.

I would like to deeply apologize to those in the comments section with whom I may have confused as to my actual position in this debate. To put it quite simply, I am contending that it is irrational to believe in the God of Christianity, for a variety of reasons which I shall divulge into now.

First and foremost, the greatest issue I believe any Christian must address is the issue of faith. Many Christians,regardless of their denomination, say that in order to believe in their God you must have faith. This by definition makes the God of Christianity no more reasonable than Vishnu, Apollo, Thor, Adonis, Allah, or any other deity. Faith literally is belief without evidence, thereby making a "faithful" Christian an irrational one.

However, my opponent may disagree with this. My opponent may say he has evidence of this God's existence and try any number of arguments for the existence of God, such as the famous First Cause argument, the argument from design, Thomas Aquinas's five proofs, or the Ontological Argument. These are merely the tip of the iceberg, but if my opponent wants to demonstrate that the belief is rational, he must present a non-fallacious argument that is both sound and valid for the existence of his God. In any other case, such a belief is unwarranted and, as I've said, unnecessary and not based in empiricism.

Notice that I am not making any claims of my own. The burden of proof does not lie on me to prove that the belief in the Christian God is irrational, it is merely upon my opponent to prove that it isn't. My goal will be to scrutinize each of his arguments with extreme prejudice, and show that they are fallacious. If my opponent shows me an argument that meets all of my requirements, I will immediately rest my case. My criterion is reasonable because it allows for the best information possible to be discussed about this God. It will not be emotional banter, it will not be vulgar, it will not be juvenile.

My opponent's apologetics will come from one of the following four categories:

Thomistic: Through the use of philosophical arguments, my opponent will attempt to support the existence of the Christian God.

Evidentialism: This will require my opponent to use empirical evidence, such as archaeology, biology, chemistry, and other sciences to justify belief in God.

Presuppositional: Perhaps my least favorite form of apologetics to have to debate against, my opponent in this case would assert that belief in God and the truth of the Bible are foundational assumptions.

Natural Revelationism: This will require that my opponent attempts to prove certain areas of scripture to prove the existence of the Christian God.

In each case, I will address the argument thoroughly, hopefully to the satisfaction of the audience.

To recap, in order for my opponent to support his claim that it is rational to believe in the Christian God, he must first show that faith is not unreasonable. Next, he must put up his own sound arguments, that cannot be logically refuted by myself. If he cannot do this, then I think it would be reasonable to conclude that he has failed to support his premise, thereby confirming that it is indeed an irrational belief.

Since this is one of my first debates, I do hope this will be a learning experience for myself and all parties involved. Thank you once again to my opponent for engaging me on this matter, and good luck!
Diplomanic

Pro

Diplomanic forfeited this round.
Rhythmichunter

Con

My opponent has forfeited his round. My original round 1 statements stand.

Vote con.
Diplomanic

Pro

Diplomanic forfeited this round.
Rhythmichunter

Con

Pro has not responded. My previous statements still stand, however this does not demonstrate that this question has been resolved.
Diplomanic

Pro

Diplomanic forfeited this round.
Rhythmichunter

Con

Rhythmichunter forfeited this round.
Diplomanic

Pro

Diplomanic forfeited this round.
Posted by Pitbull15 3 years ago
Pitbull15
Diplomanic, why did you just forfeit that round?
Posted by Diplomanic 3 years ago
Diplomanic
Sorry, I didn't look to check the comments before I took the debate! I deeply apologize those who were planning on taking this debate, and I promise to try my best!
Posted by Diplomanic 3 years ago
Diplomanic
Posted by Mikal 3 years ago
Mikal
what is the resolution.

I may take it, if your resolution is the title.
Posted by zmikecuber 3 years ago
zmikecuber
Well your debate topic, and what you describe in the first round are two different things... With the debate topic, all one has to do is show that belief in the Christian God is not irrational.
Posted by msheahan99 3 years ago
msheahan99
I would like to accept, what definitions do you present?
Posted by DudeStop 3 years ago
DudeStop
Go challenge Janet sanders on this subject.