jajkalope105
yomama12

Is it reasonable to believe that aliens do not exist

yomama12
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

jajkalope105

Con

aliens cannot exist, i have not seen good hard proof of an alien before. in addition, wouldn't they evolve just as fast as us and we would have gotten radio signals from them?
yomama12

Pro

If you have payed any attention to Cryptozoology: the study of creatures that no one knows if they are real or not (http://en.wikipedia.org...), then you can see that there is some proof that aliens do exist. Although it is not fact, aliens, or anything other that's falls into the Cryptozoology section, are a reasonable judgement: they cant be proven true, but are supported with cold hard facts. I will explain more next round.
jajkalope105

Con

a couple decades ago, an argument was introduced in a notable physics journal of some kind, but I cannot recall the name of this argument, or the journal. I believe it might have been associated with Cambridge, but can't remember.

The argument is a logical theory as to why the likelihood of ET life is very close to zero.

I am wondering if anyone can help me remember the author/title/journal of this argument. This is as much a summary of the argument as I recall -- and I am seeking more details provided in the original article:

The idea is that if *intelligent* life were possible elsewhere in the galaxy, then we'd have been aware of it a long time ago. That intelligent life would really only have to succeed on one other occasion to propagate throughout the galaxy by this present point in time. That the speed with which our own human life sprung up was so quick, that if it were easily developed elsewhere in the universe, it would have had many opportunities in the distant past to do so, of which at least one other species would have succeeded by now if it were possible. That it has not, or that we are not aware of any, suggests that either it has never happened, or has happened in a way in which we will never be aware. And that therefore our understanding of ET life is not likely to ever change.

Read more: http://www.physicsforums.com...
yomama12

Pro

If you think about all the planets that are in the "Goldilocks zone" ( the zone around a star that makes it possible to hold liquid water, there are probably millions of them) around some of the stars in some galaxies, there is a possibility that there are other intelligent life forms somewhere in the cosmos. Who's to say they're dumber than us: have you eard of all the UFO sightings around the world? This man in this website, claims there are over 80 different species of aliens he has seen. He gives a interesting statement about it.http://www.ibtimes.com.... With all of these sightings, and of the possibility of so many plants lying in the Goldilocks zone, there's really no telling how many are out there, or if they even exist. Like I said before, they are a reasonable judgement. Besides, if they did exist, why would they want ti make themselves known to other life forms that they believe are "less intelligent" If were an alien, and people were looking for me, i wouldn't pull an ET and walk in the open stating "Phone Home!". I await my opponents response and rebuttals.
jajkalope105

Con

jajkalope105 forfeited this round.
yomama12

Pro

my opponent has forfeited this debate. It is an auto win for me.
jajkalope105

Con

jajkalope105 forfeited this round.
yomama12

Pro

extend all arguments.
jajkalope105

Con

jajkalope105 forfeited this round.
yomama12

Pro

vote Pro.
Posted by Brendan_Liam 3 years ago
Brendan_Liam
on the bright side, he probably doesn't know his argument is a better one against any existence of gods.... as we know theoretically that habitable planets can exist, but in all the years hubble's been scoping, he hasn't seen any gods nor the suitcase of the christian one always on the run.
Posted by ArcTImes 3 years ago
ArcTImes
lol what is happening.
Posted by ArcTImes 3 years ago
ArcTImes
You should be Pro because you agree with the resolution. You agree that it is reasonable to believe that aliens do no exist.

I would recommend to changing the resolution to a positive sentence so you can be Con.
"It is reasonable to believe that aliens exist".
Vote Placed by Zarroette 3 years ago
Zarroette
jajkalope105yomama12
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: Con took the wrong side with this debate, and then continued with a plethora of unsupported assumptions. Con never managed to provide anything that fulfilled his/her BoP. Pro's Goldilocks Zone argument provided enough doubt for me to vote for him.