thigner
alric8

Is it right Korean government raise normal tobacco price 80%

alric8

thigner

Con

This year, Korean government implemented tobacco price 2500won to 4500won(it's approximately 2.3dollars to 4.2dollars) . The reason the president used is that the most plausible way to decrease rate of citizens smoking further to enhance citizen health. But I think it's rude and oppressive decision to raise life goods as much as almost twice. First time to debate and not have some eloquence and fluency. Any English correction is welcomed. Allowance for both to have freedom to argue & insist but hope to not use some bad sarcasm. Glad to have debate with you :)
alric8

Pro

A1: Smoking is a real problem - it causes illnesses and is very, very, very, very, very (If I could be bothered I would use the whole character limit) annoying. People have the right to wreck their own lives, but not others. It is the best way to gradually discourage and therefore increase law enforcement on smoking.

A2: It will be good for the economy, as there is no worst case scenario. It helps free up slots on boats in a growing economy.
thigner

Con

Pro said smoking's problem. I agree with that. But, my major point here I want to argue is how one country regulate one item of personal preference(whether it's good for health or not) at one day. Think about it, If one country decide to escalate all car products price 80% higher to decrease environment pollution and stuck car in road problem just a day.
and Yes, the price goes up, tax income for government grows up, but it's not a clearly reasonable to increase a product price that much I think. It could be gradual price ascent with small percentage for a month and the price goes twice up at the year later. Please keep reminding that my point of this debate is "increase a product price 80% at a day". Still Glad you became my first debate opponent tho.
alric8

Pro

R1: It is very, very reasonable. if it makes people quit smoking, (that it will) it has made the Korean population happier. All smokers at least say they want to give up, so they are being done a massive (I emphasise that) favour.

R2: Trapping smokers like your second suggestion is very unreasonable. It keeps public health the same...

English corrections:

smoking is a problem: imabench is not called imbench. (remember to put 'a' before all non-possessive, singular nouns). Making 'smoking' compound with 'is' is completely correct, but with a few exceptions (what's, that's) that is usually only used in speech.

an item, a country: I recommend you avoid using one for anything except for the number itself. Use a, or an if the following word starts with a consonant.

Grows up is generally a term used only to say the growing up of an animal. Rises, or just grows, is a better idea.

though: spelling is difficult in English. There is a very low chance the word will be spelt in the same way as it is pronounced.
thigner

Con

thigner forfeited this round.
alric8

Pro

As I have proven, it is right to help the people of Korea by raising tobacco pricing as a win-win situation. Quit smoking is a very common new years resolution [1] and helping people to do that is very ethical.
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 2 years ago
Midnight1131
thigneralric8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture, conduct to Pro.
Vote Placed by tejretics 2 years ago
tejretics
thigneralric8Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to Pro because of Con's forfeiture of one round, which is rarely acceptable conduct in any debate setting.