Jillex
Seattle

Is it right for my parents to tell me what to buy and not to buy

Jillex

Con

Is it right for my parents to tell me what to buy and what to not buy, using my own money, for example if I want to buy a new phone, they keep saying my old laggy one is enough as long as you can call and text with it, but it keeps lagging, and also I would like to have a Playstation 4 because my friends have it, and I want to play with them, because in Finland, winter lasts pretty long and its cold and dark so you dont really want to hang out outside, so playing videogames with friends is a good time killing option but my parents dont like when I play vieogames.
Seattle

Pro

I think it is okay for your parents to tell you what you can and can't buy. When you think about it, phones were made so people can communicate for one another, and for safety. Your parents are right. As long as you can communicate with others, you should be fine. But think about this: there are people who don't have phones, they have wristbands that only call their caretakers. No games, nothing fancy, just the ability to talk to their parents or guardians.

As for the PlayStation 4, you don't need one just because your friends have one. If your friends jumped off piers would you do the same? There are better ways to spend your time than mindlessly playing games. You can spend more time with friends in real life, read a book (in my opinion, this is a billion times better than any old screen), or you can get a job or start a small business in your neighborhood (walk dogs, rake yards, shovel driveways, I think you get the idea). I understand where you're coming from with it being cold and dark outside (it gets cold and dark quickly here, too), but there's more to life than a play station 4.

And as long as you're living with under you parents' house (unless you pay the bills) they have the right to tell you how you can do things under their roof. They're you parents, and this gives them immediate and final say in what is acceptable or not.
Jillex

Con

Jillex forfeited this round.
Seattle

Pro

Seattle forfeited this round.
Jillex

Con

Jillex forfeited this round.
Seattle

Pro

Seattle forfeited this round.
Jillex

Con

Jillex forfeited this round.
Seattle

Pro

Seattle forfeited this round.
Jillex

Con

Jillex forfeited this round.
Seattle

Pro

Seattle forfeited this round.
Posted by Jonbonbon 1 year ago
Jonbonbon
If you're under 16 I'd say it's not wrong. I'm glad my parents taught me not to waste my money by restricting what is buy. I have zero regrets about not buying a specific shirt or dress back then. And I don't regret that one time I didn't go out with all my friends. What I learned is more important than the material possessions I didn't necessarily acquire.