Complicated-Character
Bocaj1000

Is it time to arrest Obama?

Complicated-Character

Complicated-Character

Pro

Thank you for your attention, ladies and gentlemen. Now, recently Obama failed to notify and check with congress on his decision to make the prisoner exchange with the Taliban, for Sgt. Bergdahl. This doesn't elevate the illegality of his actions, but I feel it's relevant to tell you that we traded five top generals of the Taliban for one deserter. That's all for now folks!
Bocaj1000

Con

Obama is the president. Anything the president does must be voted for by Congress. Everything Obama has done has been passed through Congress, thus making it legal.
Complicated-Character

Pro

In response to your post, I shall reinforce my stance the old fashioned way. From the LA Times website, (link in description) "The White House struggled Wednesday to quell a political storm in Congress over the trade of five Taliban leaders for Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl and to repair relations with Democratic and Republican lawmakers outraged over the lack of consultation." If you go to other news outlets, you'll probably be able to find a more in depth review of the situation. I would talk about a different occasion, but I have yet to be prompted to do so.
Bocaj1000

Con

Bocaj1000 forfeited this round.
Complicated-Character

Pro

I see no response, therefore I must assume that the day is mine. Now to somehow get this before a larger audience. Good luck in your endeavors, and good game.
Bocaj1000

Con

No one can arrest the President, unless he does something really bad. The event you listed is not that bad, and it IS up to his decision, whether people like it or not.
Posted by Complicated-Character 2 years ago
Complicated-Character
Fair enough. Although when speaking about Bush I meant only to say that after getting the big fish, we should move on to the small.
Posted by gogolmeister 2 years ago
gogolmeister
Complicated-Character: You are right that bringing up past issues is not relevant. However, I think the entire question of whether Obama should be impeached for this trifling offense, is an idea that is only floated by his political enemies, not those who are truly concerned with our liberty, and concerned about any current tyrannies in the White House. Once again, perspective is required. Also, the message it would send, if Obama were successfully impeached, would be that all future presidents might be even more afraid to exercise executive power when needed, empowering the bipartisan Congress even more, leading to more and more gridlock. I believe we should save our outrage until a president actually does something that has much more serious implications, such as if Obama unilaterally negotiated with terrorists and signed some agreement with them never to put US troops in country X, for example. That is not even close to a simple prisoner-swap deal, which was already well-known, and a simple Google search will reveal its early foundations.
Complicated-Character
gogolmeister, I think you have a point, but the thing about bush is, while he was also scum, he isn't as big of an influence now as obama is. Therefore, we must deal with each issue in order of threat to liberty. I think that honestly, the problem isn't just who is currently in office, but what the system has become as a whole. I just think that impeachment might be a good place to start. You obviously know what you're talking about, even if we disagree a little.
Complicated-Character
Posted by gogolmeister 2 years ago
gogolmeister
We must acknowledge that, although laws exist, some are more important than others, and the violation of some are infractions and require no more than a fine or criticism, and others are great crimes. It amazes me that people are talking about arresting or impeaching Obama for not consulting with Congress about the details of the swap, because (a) since 2011, many Republicans and Dems and the Military knew about the 5-for-1 Gitmo swap, and many Repubs were on board with it (including McCain); (b) there were obvious concerns about "leaking" the exact details of the swap to all of Congress, because the Taliban were vacillating on the deal, and there were signs that Bergdahl was not in good health; (c) violating some minor statute to free a POW should be received with praise, not censure. If Bush had freed a POW, and that POW was not viewed as a deserter, do you think the GOP would want him arrested? No, in fact Bush would be praised for "taking care of US soldiers". Only because Bergdahl is viewed in the press as a deserter, and only because the press has made it seem as if Obama alone came up with the decision to "negotiate with the Taliban" (instead of everyone knowing about this for years), has this become an issue with some people, calling for arrest or impeachment.

We need perspective. For example, Bush violated much more serious laws against average citizens by the NSA warrantless wiretapping, and he also committed troops BEFORE getting approval from Congress, yet he was not impeached, and his supporters claim he did nothing wrong.
Complicated-Character
Geez, Joefel, you sound exactly like what real nutters fear. You are a problem, my friend. I disagree strongly with you, but to even think of sending you to a re-education camp... ugh. Sickening.
Posted by revic 2 years ago
revic
As a European, his policy towards us isn't very great either.

He's the one provoking Ukrainians to kill one another, so he should be the one to calm down the pro-Russians and stop the Kiev nazi government as well.
Posted by joefel19 2 years ago
joefel19
Obama is the greatest president since FDR. All you right wing trolls should be sent to re-education camps.
Posted by Cold-Mind 2 years ago
Cold-Mind
Arresting Obama is a great idea.
Vote Placed by Themba 2 years ago
Themba
Complicated-CharacterBocaj1000Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture- Conduct Pro. Arguments were to general to award a heavy 3 point to either side.