JamesP2017
princearchitect

Is it unreasonable for society to still beleive in god?

JamesP2017 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

JamesP2017

Pro

I do not beileive its reasonable for our society to beleive in god. First, today multiple religions have known creation dates and/or stories. The muslem religion was based off a dream a man had in 7th century A.D.. Another good example is christian religions. They know that it was created around the first century. With this information being common knowledge it is amazing that people could still follow an idea that has been proven to be made up. Second, there is many inconsistancies with religions. Piggy-backing my last point, how could a christian bible tell of stories thousands of years before the religions creation. Many of the stories take place with the egyption pharoahs. This means many biblical stories are from 30 bc too 3000bc or older. How could things be documented from that time period if the religion didn't occur untill 1 or more millenia later. Lastly, religion is just an unprovable concept, unlike science which is composed of proof or supported theories. Beleifs about the creation of the universe are just that, beleifs. This is opposed to science using facts, data, and observations too support and expain the big bang theory. Religion goes agaisnt many scientific ideas, because religion occured before advanced sciences. If christianity was formed today. No one would put in the bible that everything formed in 7 days. They would write down about the big bang and the billions of years it took for earth to form. To me religions are like santa claus, thought to be real by ignorant people, but actually quite easy to identiffy as just not real.
princearchitect

Con

I would like to thank my opponent JamesP2017 for this debate, I had to slightly alter my position because my opponent has failed to establish any rules on how this debate should be structured, therefore, going forward I would simply respond to my opponents Round one logic that he do not believe it's reasonable for our society to believe in God. Since I' am a Christian, I will base my arguments from the Christian perspective. My intentions are to tear down my opponent's arguments and give multiple reasons why it's reasonable for society to believe in God. Before I get into my arguments, voters should recognize the glaring grammar and spelling errors by my opponent in round one, for example not only did he misspelled the word believe twice in his first sentence, he spelled it two different ways in the first sentence. And he also misspelled the word beliefs twice. He also misspelled the word inconsistencies, with that being said, "allow me to address some of the arguments my opponent has made and shed some light on why I disagree with him.

My opponent asked the question, how could a Christian Bible tell of stories thousands of years before the religion's creation?

The books of the Bible were originally written in Hebrew, Aramaic, or Greek. Most of the Jewish Bible, or Christian Old Testament, was written in Hebrew. The New Testament was originally written in Greek. The earliest known copies of parts of the Bible are in the form of individual text written on scrolls made of leather. The scrolls were wound on wooden spools. Other copies were written on papyrus, a form of paper made from reeds.

According to Biblical Historians such as Robert Alter, Ph.D., Professor of Hebrew and comparative literature, University of California at Berkeley, and Thomas Dozeman, Ph.D., Professor of Old Testament, United Theological Seminary, Dayton, Ohio. Moses is responsible for writing the first five books of the Bible most notably, the Book of Genesis, now people have asked the question, "how can Moses write about the beginning when he himself was not in the beginning?" Understand, even through Moses wrote about the beginning inside the book of Genesis, the actual creation, in the beginning, had already taken place. Exodus 24:15-18 sheds some light on how Moses wrote the Genesis.
Exodus 24:15-18King James Version (KJV)

15 And Moses went up into the mount, and a cloud covered the mount.

16 And the glory of the Lord abode upon mount Sinai, and the cloud covered it six days: and the seventh day he called unto Moses out of the midst of the cloud.

17 And the sight of the glory of the Lord was like devouring fire on the top of the mount in the eyes of the children of Israel.

18 And Moses went into the midst of the cloud, and gat him up into the mount: and Moses was in the mount forty days and forty nights.
When Moses when on top of mount Sinai, the glory of the Lord abode upon mount Sinai and the cloud covered it six days: That is Moses being in the Spirit of God and the Lord showed Moses the creations of the Heavens and Earth the six days the cloud covered the mount: and on the seventh day he called to Moses out of the midst of the cloud and that is how Moses got the inspiration to write the book of Genesis in the beginning creation narrative. So my opponent's contention that the Christian Bible told stories thousands of years before the religion's creation is false because the heavens and the earth were already created before the books were written.

Now, allow me to change courses and present some compelling evidence as to why it is reasonable for society to still believe in God is Christian's International Humanitarian Efforts fighting poverty, slavery, and world hunger. Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ said,
Matthew 25:35-40King James Version (KJV)

35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
Jesus said, "inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

1. Compassion International-Compassion International is a Christian child sponsorship organization, dedicated to releasing children from economical, physical and spiritual poverty. Headquartered in Colorado Springs, it is active in 26 poverty-stricken countries around the world. It was founded by the Rev. Everett Swanson in 1952 to provide Korean War orphans with food, shelter, education and healthcare as well as Christian teaching. Today they are still active in the fight to save children from poverty, helping more than 1,200,000 children through child sponsorship programs, education, health provision and vocational training. Through their engagement they aim to unravel the lies of poverty, allowing children to grow up having dreams and to succeed in life according to Christian values.

2. Food For The Hungry-Food for the Hungry (FI) is a Christian humanitarian organization helping the poor. With Sponsorship programs and operations in 26 countries, FI was founded by Dr. Larry Ward in 1971 and is headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona. Its stated mission is:

"to walk with leaders, churches, and families in overcoming all forms of human poverty by living in healthy relationship with God and His creation" (Book of Psalms 146:7)

Larry Ward founded FH due to his "hurting heart" for the suffering of the 12,000 children dying of hunger at that time in Haiti and Bangladesh. Since then, FH has been actively providing aid to the world"s most vulnerable people without consideration of race, gender or religion when it comes to helping the poor. Biblical values are upheld as FH operates from the understanding that poverty is the result of broken relationships:

3.World Vision-World Vision Is an Evangelical Christian humanitarian organization active in 97 countries, dedicated to helping the poor, working with children, families, and communities to beat poverty and injustice. Deeply inspired by Christian values, they are dedicated to working with the world"s most vulnerable people. Founded by Bob Pierce in 1950, World Vision has grown into one of the largest Christian and humanitarian organizations. Working according to evangelical convictions and within a theological framework, World Vision seeks to incorporate Christian belief into its missions of helping the poor, provide emergency relief, economic development, promote justice and spread awareness of countries in need. "In Christ, we have a role model who healed the sick, fed the hungry, clothed the naked, and comforted the outcast, and whose message was about restoring relationships and reconciliation."

These are only a few Christian humanitarian organizations that are helping them that are in dire need of these services providing food, shelter, education to poverty struck children and adults all over the world as the evidence above states.

Now, I'm going to briefly touch on science from the medical perspective and provide evidence why the Christian religion is not against science, as a matter of fact, the Christian religion embraces science. In Chicago, A Study says, "Most U.S. Doctors Believe in God, A survey examining religion in medicine found that most U.S. doctors believe in God and an afterlife " a surprising degree of spirituality in a science-based field, researchers say.

In the survey of 1,044 doctors nationwide, 76 percent said they believe in God, 59 percent said they believe in some sort of afterlife, and 55 percent said their religious beliefs influence how they practice medicine.

"We were surprised to find that physicians were as religious as they apparently are," said Dr. Farr Curlin, a researcher at the University of Chicago's MacLean Center for Clinical Medical Ethics. 55 percent said their religious beliefs influence how U.S.Doctors practice medicine and this is significant because no matter what your religious preference maybe this survey represents over half, surprising 55 percent of U.S. Doctors said their religious beliefs influence how they practice medicine and I'm almost certain that religious critics like my opponent will not ask one of them doctors whose religious beliefs influence how they practice medicine about their religion if that Doctor prescribe a medicine could save his or her life.

in closing the first round, this is evidence that religion is not like Santa Claus as provided above real people used empathy, love for humanity, humble Christian values in international humanitarian efforts to change the lives of poverty-stricken communities worldwide, now tell them millions upon millions of people that have a bright and better future because of these humanitarian efforts that it's not real.

http://www.foxnews.com...
http://www.sharefaith.com...
https://www.biblegateway.com...
Biblical reviewers, consultants:
1. Robert Alter, Ph.D., Professor of Hebrew and comparative literature, University of California @ Berkeley
2. John Collins, Ph.D., Holmes Professor of Old Testament Criticism and Interpretation, Yale Divinity School
3. Thomas Dozeman, Ph.D., Professor of Old Testament, United Theological Seminary, Dayton, Ohio
4. Ellen Frankel, Ph.D., chief executive officer and editor-in-chief, The Jewish Publication Society
I look forward to my opponent's 2nd round insights.