YannaW.PHS
Damian4447

Is it wrong for Disney to create a plus-size princess?

YannaW.PHS

Pro

Move over Cinderella. Disney under pressure to create a plus-size princess. Should they? We're going to debate that." It has been in recent news that Disney is undergoing an issue to whether or not to create a plus-size princess. Someone stated that such a Disney princess would "glorify obesity." In fact Media Matters went after Fox News for daring to host a two-sided debate about whether Disney should introduce a plus-size princess to its character line up. Also Meme Roth a founder from the National Action against Obesity said that "Let"s talk through the storyline. If you"re going to do a storyline with obesity, then you need to do Princess Diabetes, Princess Cancer, and Princess Fertility Problems." So should they include a plus-sized princess in the Disney princess line-up?

I believe that yes they should include a plus-size Disney princess. The Disney line-up has basically every nationality in it. So why not, add a plus-size princess to the variety of princesses that they already have. Many would believe that they should not, because if they do what will it proves. So if they do add one so what. Disney inspires many young girls and for them to add a plus-size princess maybe the young girls who are a little over weight would feel a little or maybe even a lot better about themselves. I believe that Disney adding a plus-size princess can better a lot of young women and maybe even men. So yes Disney should add a plus-size princess.

One opinion from this website that caught my eye was that he stated "Because in ancient times, being fat was good thing. It meant you were wealthy and powerful. (no one was obese back in those days, because it's actually pretty hard to be obese)". I find that statement to be a actual fact. So does this mean that it is ok to add a plus-size princess? Even though ancient times that meant good , doesn't mean perhaps the movie will be set in a time where being a plus-sized woman meant you where wealthy or royalty. I believe that if Disney where to choose to go through with making a plus-size princess, then yes they would use a time where that is relevant.

Another opinion I believe was a good one was from another user on the site that stated "I don't think Disney should be held responsible to create a princess for every single minority "group" in existence, they are a corporation after all and not a public service. But I DO think that there is an opportunity for them to make money here, while incidentally also promoting acceptance." I also agree with this because after all if Disney does create a princess who is plus-sized they will promote acceptance in young children. Also Disney shouldn't be held responsible because then they have to go through every minority to please many people. Disney is not the only corporation that is able to make a princess. Many such as Pixar , and Dream Works for example can create a Princess who is plus-sized. Although I believe Disney should create a plus-sized princess, it doesn't have to necessarily be Disney.

So should they include a plus-sized princess in the Disney princess line up? Yes, because it can show young children acceptance of others. As well as taking a bigger step in the Disney princess collection. So yes, I do believe they should add a plus-sized princess to the line up.
Damian4447

Con

Alright then I accept this challenge of yours, first off let me tell you im not going to type NEARLY as much as you might, or make graphs, ok I think they should make a plus size princess because obesity is a problem and a little teenage girl with an obesity problem is probably being bullied at school while we speak and she needs someone to look up to, like an obese princess, the only way I would accept this princess is if she turns skinny toward the end of the movie or whatever because if Disney just has an obese princess that just keeps getting more obese than that's just plain stupid.

Oh woops SOZ, I thought I was going or it and not against it, I thought you were going against it that is until I finished reading it.
YannaW.PHS

Pro

YannaW.PHS forfeited this round.
Damian4447

Con

Damian4447 forfeited this round.
YannaW.PHS

Pro

YannaW.PHS forfeited this round.
Damian4447

Con

Damian4447 forfeited this round.
Posted by LaughingRiddle 3 years ago
LaughingRiddle
Obesity is considered an epidemic.

It is the highest cause of preventable death along side cancer. And even if it doesn't kill you outright it helps development of other health problems.

Scientist corrlate obesity to lower IQ.

Needless to say obese people are usually very atheltically challenged aswell.

Promoting obesity in anyay is tantamount to promoting a disease.

People should be encouraged to reach a slimemr form where their health and happiness is most likely to be improved. Nor will an obese princess make people who are being made fun of less.

You do no little girls any favors by showing them such a movie and then senidng them to school to be confronted with real life where being obese is not desirable for any reason.