Diana_Abildaeva
LatentDebater

Is jealousy a part of love or not?

LatentDebater

Diana_Abildaeva

Pro

It is an eternal dispute is jealously a part of love or not. Some people think that jealousy does't treat to love and it is just the feeling of ownership. In my opinion, jealousy is an important part of love because person in love just always care about the subject he loves. I don"t think that it is bad because person who is in love want his sweetheart always be with him. And this is my first argument!
LatentDebater

Con

Jealousy and love are entirely separate emotions and if anything love is a part of jealousy as opposed the jealousy being apart of love because to be jealous require love for something but to love something requires no jealousy at all.

According to the following source:

People do not express jealousy through a single emotion or a single behavior. They instead express jealousy through diverse emotions and behaviors, which makes it difficult to form a scientific definition of jealousy. Scientists still do not have a universally agreed upon definition of jealousy but instead define jealousy in their own words, as illustrated by the following examples:

All the definitions imply a triad composed of a jealous individual, a partner, and a perception of a third party or rival. Second, all the definitions describe jealousy as a reaction to a perceived threat to the relationship between two people, or a dyad. Jealous reactions typically involve aversive emotions and/or behaviors that are assumed to be protective for their attachment relationships. These themes form the essential meaning of jealousy in most scientific studies.

Jealousy should be considered completely independent from envy and for the sake of this debate I shall highlight these also from the same source.

The common experience of jealousy for many people may involve:

• Fear of loss
  • Suspicion of or anger about a perceived betrayal
  • Low self-esteem and sadness over perceived loss
  • Uncertainty and loneliness
  • Fear of losing an important person to another
  • Distrust

The experience of envy involves:

• Feelings of inferiority
  • Longing
  • Resentment of circumstances
  • Ill will towards envied person often accompanied by guilt about these feelings
  • Motivation to improve
  • Desire to possess the attractive rival's qualities
  • Disapproval of feelings

So in conclusion I say that Love is a part of Jealousy but Jealousy is not a part of Love.

Additionally they are entirely separate emotions to begin with.

I would like my opponent to define love and expand their case.
Diana_Abildaeva

Pro

How was written in your article: "jealousy as a reaction to a perceived threat to the relationship between two people, or a dyad. Jealous reactions typically involve aversive emotions and/or behaviors that are assumed to be protective for their attachment relationships." Jealousy is an integral part of love because EVERY, I will repeat it again, EVERY person will always care about what is happening with his lover, where, when and with whom he or she is/was. It is doesn't matter that you trust this person or not, jealousy does not depend on person. "to be jealous require love for something but to love something requires no jealousy at all." - I totally disagree with you because for be jealous person must have some feelings for another person. People are not jealous everyone, they hold dear only close people.
LatentDebater

Con

People only get jealous when considering the actions of loved ones. You are correct.

This is because love is required to feel jealous but jealousy is not a part of love because the love originated without any jealousy at all and remains as such. The jealousy is a separate emotion growing as a by-product of what love is, not as a part of the love itself whatsoever.
Diana_Abildaeva

Pro

I understand your position, but "love is required to feel jealous" doesn't it mean that love without jealous isn't love at all?
Your are right that love is originate by yourself but jealousy is in this love. When you start loving someone you should be prepared that you will jealous your lover. Jealous is not a separate sense because for feeling jealous you must love someone - your friends, your family and your sweetheart.
LatentDebater

Con

Love is the water to a plant. You need is to grow one. The plant is jealousy.

The plant is not part of the water at all.

And whilst love is an essential part of a growing feeling of jealousy towards someone, jealousy is not at all a part of the love itself that is fueling it.
Diana_Abildaeva

Pro

Love is a feeling and we can't explore it on plants. Love is a feeling that no one can control. People are not plants that grow and wither, we are PEOPLE we grow up and change, it is our nature - to change and to feel. To feel and to be jealous - are the parts of our difficult nature. At first we jealous, then fall in love and we understand it too late to realize it. It is the reverse process that you jealous person and only then realize that firstly you were in love with him. I still think that jealous is very important part of love, because think and care about your lover is natural. Jealous is a result of love and nothing more.
LatentDebater

Con

I was never comparing people to plants but rather jealousy to a plant and love to the water that it needs to grow. This a was a severe misinterpretation of my analogy/metaphor.

My opponent concedes that "Jealous[sic] is a result of love and nothing more." And yet doesn't realise that this asserts that like plants are a result of water and many other things, jealousy is a result of love but love is NOT a result of jealousy.

My opponent then commits misconduct by raising new points in the last round.

The points he raised were as follows:
  1. At first we jealous[sic], then fall in love and we understand it too late to realize it.
  2. It is the reverse process that you[sic] jealous person and only then realize that firstly you were in love with him.
  3. I still think that jealous[sic] is very important part of love, because think and care about your lover is natural.[sic on grammar]
I will now rebut all 3 and then conclude.
  1. No evidence for jealousy coming first since jealousy cannot exist without love (my opponent even stated this as her last sentence).
  2. I didn't coherently understand this point and quite frankly think whatever she was trying to say was probably false or in favour of my side of the debate.
  3. Essentially she justified jealousy being a part of love by stating that one thinks and cares about their lover and that this is natural. As you can see there is no sensible way to link one to the other and thus her conclusion shouldn't have been reached via such a path

In conclusion, jealousy is not a part of love and pro has not met her burden of proof whatsoever.

Vote Placed by Deadlykris 4 years ago
Deadlykris
Diana_AbildaevaLatentDebaterTied
Reasons for voting decision: I agree with Con that jealousy stems from love, not the other way around. To think that jealousy comes before love is patently absurd. Jealousy is born of love but can only thrive in the absence of trust.
Vote Placed by OhioGary 4 years ago
OhioGary
Diana_AbildaevaLatentDebaterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Superior analogies from Con. The plant & water metaphor illiustrated the argument. Pro did have spelling & grammar errors, so S&G to Con. No sources listed, so sources is a tie. Conduct is a tie.