Aziza
Sun8

Is learning with computer better than learning with books?

Aziza

Pro

In the 21st century, an era of information technology, we rely
on computers every day. We can see computers everywhere such as at
schools, offices, homes and even shopping malls. With computers, we
can search the information that we need. Without them, we may not be
able to survive. As being widely promoted in the past 10 years, learning
with computer has become a trend in our society. Many students feel that
computers are far more interesting than books, as I feel though.
I would like to share with you why learning with computer is better than
learning with books.
For the traditional way of learning, students just used to sit in the
classroom and learn with books. It is really boring as there are only
words or pictures in the books. However, learning with computer can
increase students interest in many ways. Teaching with computer,
teachers can play some audio or video clips during the lessons. This can
probably attract students to concentrate on their lessons and facilitate their learning.
Moreover, learning with computers is more interactive than the traditional way of learning with books. Students can do online quiz or search information for projects on the Internet. That means students can learn a lot of new things in a more interesting way.
In fact, there are a lot of learning websites available on the
Internet which provide students with a lot of updated information.
Moreover, students can sit comfortably in their homes and learn through
the webcams or even have discussion with classmates and teachers.
This can enhance students interest in learning.
When I was in 1st class my teacher used to teach "powerpoint". I think tshe really made the lessons easier and intresting for me. Through the computer, we can watch video clips on some of the experiments. In my opinion, learning with computer is better and more efficient
than learning with books. In line with technological
advancement in the near future, I believe that there will be more
innovative ways of improving students" learning.
Sun8

Con

First off I would like to say that you made some good points and I appreciate the interesting topic to debate.
I see how learning with computers is beneficial because of the growth of technology around us. However, as a teacher and from seeing the results of various studies, books tend to teach more than computers do. By this I mean that people tend to learn information better when they learn from books. Computers are amazing creations but the point of a computer is to get things done faster. It is a lot easier and faster to google search a question than to look it up in a book but more often when your questions are answered from physically searching through the right book, you will remember the information a lot easier.
You state that books are boring to learn from while technology allows students to be more excited about what they are learning. I understand your point but this particular statement goes a lot broader than simply a debate between books and computers. I feel this way because I think that if a lesson is boring or interesting depends on the teacher. I have had amazing teachers who never used technology during their lessons and I've had terrible teachers who would bore me to death even if they did use technology and vise versa.
Computers are valuable and people should be educated on how to use them in our society. However, if we teach students with just technology and they never open a book, they will become dependent on technology for all of the answers. I think that learning without computers presents many more benefits than learning with. Books create more of an independence, a responsibility for a person to use their brain to think about what they are searching for, how to narrow the search down, and how to find the information they need. Books are more tangible. With books you are able to touch, feel, look, read, write with a pen, etc. They are more real to us while computers are not as natural and can't give certain learners, such as Kinesthetic learners, the ability to learn to their full advantage as they deserve.
Computers are useful, but I see more benefits to learn with books.
Aziza

Pro

Aziza forfeited this round.
Sun8

Con

Sun8 forfeited this round.
Aziza

Pro

Aziza forfeited this round.
Sun8

Con

Sun8 forfeited this round.