gbrownpianodude1
Hannible

Is marching band a sport or not?

Started: 12/8/2014 Category: Music

gbrownpianodude1

Pro

I believe that it is a sport because, it involves physical and mental activities. Also you can compete in competitions.
Hannible

Con

I don't believe that marching band is a sport because it is more about musical talent than a competition to see who can march better. Also, you can compete in just about anything.
gbrownpianodude1

Pro

gbrownpianodude1 forfeited this round.
Hannible

Con

I am curious as to why my opponent has forfeited such an easily won argument...
gbrownpianodude1

Pro

gbrownpianodude1 forfeited this round.
Hannible

Con

I was really looking forward to being convinced that marching band was an actual sport... shame this person keeps forfeiting.
gbrownpianodude1

Pro

gbrownpianodude1 forfeited this round.
Hannible

Con

:( this kinda sucks.
gbrownpianodude1

Pro

gbrownpianodude1 forfeited this round.
Hannible

Con

Hannible forfeited this round.
Posted by Hannible 2 years ago
Hannible
I never said that wasn't hard or extremely physical, I just think that it isn't a sport as much as it is a fine art, because you can make anything a sport. once again though, I appreciate your input, and I respect your opinions.
Posted by voiceofthestudents 2 years ago
voiceofthestudents
As well as marching band, I do musicals. So I know that singing and moving and dancing is hard, but marching band is harder. Much, much harder.
Posted by Hannible 2 years ago
Hannible
and I actually do gain muscle from choir, just saying.
Posted by Hannible 2 years ago
Hannible
I do not just sit, stand, and sing. I work my but off every day to make the time and effort I put into this music actually worth it. I appreciate your input about the argument, however, I do not need people to criticize what I do to make myself and those around me happy.
voiceofthestudents
I have been marching for a third of my life. Every year at band camp I loose ten or more pounds. My legs are entirely muscle. There are kids in my classes who are soccer players, swimmers, and runners who have less leg muscle than me. Kids in marching band march for hours a day. On top of that is memorizing music, getting perfect dynamics, and figuring out how to do that while marching.
While marching, you cannot move except for the commands given. That means no scratching, no fidgeting, no moving of the eyes. That's right, you have to look straight ahead the entire time.
You try doing that while blowing air into an instrument and trying to make it sound pretty.
Posted by maq789 2 years ago
maq789
If you still refuse to believe what I have just said, perhaps you'll listen to professionals who study sports. https://www.youtube.com...
Posted by maq789 2 years ago
maq789
What you fail to realize and understand is that choir does nothing. They sit and stand and sing. You move and dance on occasion. Yet you do not do "massive amounts of physical activity" just by dancing on stage. Massive amounts of physical activity on stage would be someone who is in dance. You don't do that. If you say that choir dance moves on stage is "massive amounts of physical activity" then you are not even physically capable of doing anything near what the marching band does. The definition of a sport is thus: "An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively". Does the marching band involve physical exertion? Yes. We are marching for hours on end non<x>stop almost every day of the week. I don't see you doing that in your choir class. I've known kids that have lost up to ten pounds just because of marching alone. Do you gain muscle in your calves, thighs, stomach, shoulders, and arms when you participate in choir? No. You don't. Do we use skill? If you say that marching in perfect formation with a hundred plus kids with everyone placing your left foot on the ground at the exact same time at 165 beats per minute without running into anyone without looking, all the while you play a very complicated piece of music that was specifically written for you by a music writer isn't skill, then you have some high expectations and an unreal sense of what skill actually is. You do none of that in choir. Can you even sing at a tempo of 165 beats per minute? Marching band is also very much governed by a set of rules. While the rules are not 100% universal, we are still following rules when we - yes - go to competitions, because, guess what! We're competitive! If we don't follow the rules have that been set before us, we have points taken from our score in penalty. The same way a football player does something wrong on the field and gets flagged and penalized for it. Marching band is a sport.
Posted by Hannible 2 years ago
Hannible
I get that it takes great effort to do what they do, however, I am in my high school concert and chamber choir. Both take massive amounts of physical activity, like dancing and other movements, as well as memorization of 6 to 10 different songs per concert. So I do almost exactly what the marching band does, yet I don't call choir a sport, nor do I call marching band a sport. they are fine arts, and though people like to think they are more, and perhaps they might be, they are primarily for people's enjoyment, whereas sports are primarily for competition of ability.
Posted by maq789 2 years ago
maq789
I believe that marching band is a sport. Also, maybe not relevant in the facts, but mostly for credibility, my sister was in marching band for her whole high school career. seeing how hard they work for what they do, I can understand that people, being inexperienced in the sport, do not think that it requires much physical work. In actuality marching band requires a lot more physical work and exercise than it is given credit for. It may not look like it, but they are actually getting a very good workout. They need all of their muscles in shape in order to hold themselves in their positions. They also do more actual workouts that aren't just "marching". These include things like running laps and doing crunches. Marching band is a sport.
Posted by fridalizbeth 2 years ago
fridalizbeth
I believe that marching band isn't a sport. Sport is an exercise that involves purposeful physical activity with intention of inquiring fitness, working out and health benefits. Marching band is more like a physical activity that is more done throughout the day like housework, doing homework, or climbing stairs.