Areschild
lyndseygirl

Is marching band a sport

Started: 12/2/2015 Category: Music

Areschild

Pro

Should marching band be considered a sport? I say yes from experience. We devote our blood, sweat, and tears to memorize music and our dot sheets. We also do more physical exertion more than the football team. At my school we go through a 4 day camp then after that we have practice Mondays and Thursdays for 2 hours. The marchers at my school also have a varsity letter on our jackets. We practice during classes before our season is over. We also have competitions that we go to. Also we have to have skill to memorize all the music and dot sheets we must learn. And we also have to have a good horn angle or hold whatever instrument we play. So in conclusion I say that we the marching band should be considered a sport.
lyndseygirl

Con

no, it is not a sport. a sport is something that you compete with another team to win/accomplish something.
"sport-
noun
an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment."

there is no competing, there is walking around in circles though, and that obviously is physically exerting. (sarcasm)
Areschild

Pro

I completely disagree. We do have competition and we do much more than than march in circles. I find that comment offensive. We create shapes of all sorts. This year my school created a wave, then eyes.
lyndseygirl

Con

lyndseygirl forfeited this round.
Areschild

Pro

Areschild forfeited this round.
lyndseygirl

Con

lyndseygirl forfeited this round.
Posted by chrisallen578 1 year ago
chrisallen578
According to Dictionary.com, the definition of a sport is:

an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature.

Anyone who as been through band camp will agree with this definition. Marching band IS a sport.