NightmareKitty
ONYXxCHAOS

Is math more important than literacy?

NightmareKitty

Con

Is math more important than literacy? Could we survive in today's economy not knowing how to spell nor read? Should we abandon algebra and other forms of math after elementary school? I say yes
ONYXxCHAOS

Pro

If we do abandon it kids in high school might not know how to add up money at a store to see if they have enough money
NightmareKitty

Con

In order to add up money, its simple addition. And there are kids in 4th grade learning factoring while I, in 10th grade, have been stuck learning it for two years. We can abandon algebra after elementary school and if someone wants to to into a field with algebra they can sign up for it in college
ONYXxCHAOS

Pro

ONYXxCHAOS forfeited this round.
NightmareKitty

Con

NightmareKitty forfeited this round.
ONYXxCHAOS

Pro

ONYXxCHAOS forfeited this round.
NightmareKitty

Con

NightmareKitty forfeited this round.
ONYXxCHAOS

Pro

ONYXxCHAOS forfeited this round.
NightmareKitty

Con

NightmareKitty forfeited this round.
ONYXxCHAOS

Pro

ONYXxCHAOS forfeited this round.
Posted by ONYXxCHAOS 1 year ago
ONYXxCHAOS
I am sorry for not posting the rest of my debates I finished my school term and forgot about it
Posted by drag0vien 2 years ago
drag0vien
The importance of math vs. literacy in today's economy is 1:1. If you remove one, the economy breaks. Abandoning it after elementary school is ridiculous. Abandoning English after elementary school seems infinitely more reasonable.
Posted by annoyingfacts 2 years ago
annoyingfacts
@Zimasilk where did those tools come form? Oh yeah, people who understood the consept of math. I would much rather live on a society that is constantly improving math skills and stop literacy at a low level enough to know how to read and write than only knowing simple addition but perfect grammar.
Posted by Mnotter 2 years ago
Mnotter
Do you no notice our society is becoming more and more focused ob math and science? Do you have any idea of much math is used just so you can visually see this very website in a 2D canvas with millions of pixels? (Less if you're on a mobile phone)
Posted by Zimasilk 2 years ago
Zimasilk
All things considered, they are equal. However, in a practical sense I give you this...

I can go through a day, maybe a week without having to do a math calculation. I rarely go an hour without having to read or write something. I lean towards literacy, especially since I have dozens of tools to help me with math if I need it.
Posted by John_Philip_5 2 years ago
John_Philip_5
In fact, both of them are important to our economy
Posted by V5RED 2 years ago
V5RED
Yes, let's stop exposing children to math before it actually starts to get interesting. Let's not even try to develop more engineers, doctors, pharmacists, software developers, etc.

Yes, someone working at McDonald's probably does not use math beyond what I learned by 3rd grade, but people who move on to careers that advance our society, child-level math will not suffice.

This idea is stupid and in this area, con is displaying lack of wisdom by supporting it if con is honestly supporting this idea.
Posted by debate-master1 2 years ago
debate-master1
How can we survive in our day's economy without math. We need to count money and do all those stuff.