KayFoo
cometshark

Is metal, in general, better than other genres

Started: 10/5/2015 Category: Music

KayFoo

Pro

First off: Hi there challenger. This is my first time here and I'll happily look forward to this. (Im internally screaming at how excited I am). Good luck

Metal is by far the best, however the most underrated genre in the history of music. A band of 5 or 6 people could come up with the most technical, melodic, heavy, brutal and unsurprisingly, inspiring and motivational songs. Bands could be produced by 1 producer and they only get 20K views or listens. Mainstream music however is normally comprised of 1 singer, 3 or 4 producers to get your average "Boom boom boom" beats and other sounds, and maybe 2 or 3 more producers to do the final mixing. Yet, they get on average, 10M hits on youtube and such. Tell me, how is this so called "popular" music so popular?
cometshark

Con

Hey there, Instigator! This is my first debate here as well, and I am looking forward to it as much as you.

I will be negating my opponents proposed topic, which asks, "Is metal, in general, better than other genres?" My opponent appears to take the stance that metal is, indeed, better than other genres. How many other genres my opponent is taking into account here - whether metal is indeed better than all other possible subcategories of music besides metal, or just music that is enjoyed by the mainstream - is unclear. I believe that, logically, there is no evidence to support my opponent's claim at first glance, since it is a purely subjective assertion: how sonically appealing music is varies from person to person. In order to gauge whether or not this resolution (that metal is better than other genres), we need to establish clear definitions. I ask my opponent to define the following terms. For one, "metal" - what constitutes this genre? Are you referring to any band that self-identifies as metal, or only to a certain variety, such as heavy metal? Please elaborate. Secondly, how are you gauging the quality of a genre, especially considering that there exists a vastly diverse spectrum of sound within each category of music? Please enlighten me as to what perspective you are using to consider the inherent quality of an entire genre.

Without these terms defined explicitly and objectively by my opponent, I am unable to continue this debate.
KayFoo

Pro

Sorry, my bad in that case:

The answer to your first question I prefer to not be too definitive. However, for the sake of this debate, I will say that the term "metal" would refer to modern metal (be it heavy metal, metal core, death metal and such. Hence, bands such as Metallica or Slayer or those of the 2000s and older would not be counted)

Yes, I have not specified the genre that Metal should be compared against. So, in this argument I would prefer to have either Pop or Rap/Hip-Hop (whichever you choose) to be compared against Metal. Subgenres of Pop or Rap are also welcomed.

As they say "The sky's the limit", so that means that you could attack me from any angle (general behaviour of fans, how the music is being conveyed, cooperation of band members or members to producers and so on). Im not setting terms which are definite as I prefer this to be a fun open-style debate where you could pick up your arguments from anywhere and not worrying about "Oh shoot, did he specifically say this? Oh no, I can't use this argument then". You know? Free up your arguments from the vices of limitation.
cometshark

Con

cometshark forfeited this round.
KayFoo

Pro

Okay, since the other party had forfeited the previous round, I shall continue mine.

"How is metal counted as music? Its just someone yelling into a mic with trashy instrumentals in the background, unlike pop where at the very least, there's a melody to it."

Is music specifically defined? What is the definition of music? Though definitions on the internet may still be vague but quoting from Google: "Vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion". Metal is the exactly as stated. As there are a myriad of metal sub-genres, sounds may vary from draggy, brutal music that makes listeners feel as if they are Gods to purely unexplainable but humorous metal due to its odd lyrical content. Whats more, metal can come from different countries. Chinese Metal can see band members incorporate traditional musical instruments that perfectly marries tradition with aggression.

Sure, metal is performed with screams, but that amplifies the emotion in the song. Talk about a time of pain and hatred you've been through. The screams and the lyrics of that certain song gives that hug of consolation, a feeling that you are being understood by someone who doesn't (or maybe does) know you.

Lyrical content very much vary from song to song but normally it would be about:
Understanding/Appreciation
Hatred
Disgust
Real life experiences
Religion
Politics
Society
War
Poetry (surprise surprise)
Loss
Current world issues
and much more....

Now compare this to the topics normally highlighted in pop/rap music
Partying
Money
Drugs
Sex
Politics
"Put yo hands up" or something like that
Hierarchy/ Power

Some contrast isn't there? You may argue that pop is all about having fun in life, enjoy everything, don't worry about a single thing and that happiness is really important in this world. HAHAHAHHA wait till you run out of those money then we'll see who's happiness you'll be plucking out as you plan a robbery on a bank. Which leads me to the next point.

Do you ever notice that people like Kanye, Justin B. and other pop/rap artists tend to get into hot water really easily with the cops? Does that happen to metal artists? "Thats cause they are not well known enough to be captured, thats not fair judgement" Regardless of fame, the police will capture anyone against the law wouldn't they? Even if metal people get caught with crime (very unlikely this will happen), do they say "Oh, you listen to metal, we'll let you off with a warning then"? 30 Seconds to Mars, a well known rock band had their roots in progressive metal before switching over to mainstream rock/pop. Have any of the band members been caught for crime?

This overall shows that metal people tend to be far more humbling to each other. Even from artist to fan, band members treat their fans like family because they know that a number of these fans have been through much (suicide attempts, family problems and such) and they try to connect to each fan, song by song, lyric by lyric. Spitting on fans, shouting profanities at them (although this is very common in metal shows but its understandable), is this what pop/rap artists do often?
cometshark

Con

cometshark forfeited this round.
KayFoo

Pro

Well, my points still stand strong even if you have forfeited two straight rounds of this debate.
cometshark

Con

cometshark forfeited this round.
KayFoo

Pro

KayFoo forfeited this round.
cometshark

Con

cometshark forfeited this round.