Marco.Bradshaw
Trevor0514

Is new media technology (let's say smart phone and related artifacts) subliminally creating a new fo

Trevor0514

Marco.Bradshaw

Con

With children being introduced to tablets and smart phones from such young ages... because they 'educate' them; are parents letting their kids become addicted and less curious about the world?

Growing up savvy is different than growing up "attached".

What do you think?
Trevor0514

Pro

Hi Marco, I look forward to a good debate. Fyi this is my first debate on here!

First I would like to ask for a clarification of what this "new media technology" is?

Lets get started shall we? I was born in 1993 on the cusp of the technology age that was sweeping our generation. Growing up I didn't have a lot technology in my house. It would be early two thousands that we actually got a computer. As a kid I was always playing outside or playing with toys in my room. My brother"s story, born in 2000, is very different. By this time we had a Nintendo 64 and a computer in the house. While growing up I started to play a lot of video games and computer games and the same can be said for my brother. The difference between me and him, is that I once knew a life without all of this technology that plays such a significant role in his life.

Now if we are talking about the programs like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. then I will tell you right now that these should have never been created. If that is the case, congrats, you have just won in your first round.

However if we are talking about technology in general, you won't get off that easy. The reason I told that story is so that you can see the difference between him and I. Us kids born in those precursors years to the technology wave understand how to balance our everyday technology driven lives. But the problem isn't that we have to much exposure to technology, but rather "how" we are exposed to it. Technology as a whole, is a driving force behind our economy as well as our workforce. It has helped with the advancements of numerous industries as well as provided us with hours and hours of zombie killing in the Call of Duty series. Now let me state that I do think that technology can be overwhelming to some. What I mean by that, is the person that you know that can never put their phone down, or is always checking his Facebook on his laptop. But I think that these people do not understand how to fully use technology to its full potential.

A lot of good things do come from technology; and more specifically from the people who are connected to them. We are starting to see the rise of tablets in our school systems. In most schools that I have worked in, instead of taking students to the computer lab, a cart of iPads are wheeled right into the class so that students can work right from their desks'. This gives students a chance to work at their own pace and if they don't understand something they can just go back or look up other resources, right in front of them, to find out more information. We are also starting to see the implementing of Smartboard technology in the classrooms. Think back to those dirty chalk boards your teacher used to use. Now just imagine that your teacher was able to show the class movies, picture, slideshows, etc. on that chalk board, now you see the significance. If we start at a young age, showing kids how to use technology at its fullest, we can better the future and we can expand their minds to the possibilities that life has to offer.

I will admit that some people are addicted to technology, but this is no more the car's fault when a person gets in an accident, as it is the technologies for getting abused. It comes down to the way it is presented to that person. If it is presented in the way of opportunities and growth, only then are we able to see a society less addicted to Farmville and more addicted to politics, world news, design, etc. We have to embrace that the age of computers and the growth of technology is upon us. To deny this, is to be ignorant to change.
Marco.Bradshaw

Con

Marco.Bradshaw forfeited this round.
Trevor0514

Pro

Well I guess I will forfeit my round...lame
Marco.Bradshaw

Con

Marco.Bradshaw forfeited this round.
Trevor0514

Pro

So much potential in this debate, what a shame...
Posted by Howdidyoucomeupwiththat 3 years ago
Howdidyoucomeupwiththat
I would like to accept this debate, if you make it more clear what I would debating, and for what side. If you could make those things clear I would love to accept this topic as I have knowledge and experience on this topic. Not only would I like to spread that, but know which side I would be on :P.
Posted by jennabarzak 3 years ago
jennabarzak
Con, please finish the rest of your title so that someone can accept this debate. Based on your opening arugment, I think I get the jist of what you're talking about, but it isn't clear.
Posted by Yraelz 3 years ago
Yraelz
Rewording your resolution as an argument will make things much more clear. For example:

"Giving young children personal media devices is beneficial."

Then you take the "Con" position because you are against the resolution.
Posted by Jay-D 3 years ago
Jay-D
How is anyone supposed to accept your challenge when the title is incomplete, not to mention unclear?
Posted by OtakuJordan 3 years ago
OtakuJordan
The hell is a fo?
Posted by themohawkninja 3 years ago
themohawkninja
What's the rest of the title?
Vote Placed by InVinoVeritas 3 years ago
InVinoVeritas
Marco.BradshawTrevor0514Tied
Reasons for voting decision: FF...