himynameis
zamann234

Is old-school feminism still relevant?

himynameis

Con

I don"t believe it has occurred to a lot of feminists that sometimes people do things for each other out of respect. A boy may give a girl five extra minutes in the bathroom because he understands that she needs those extra minutes to get ready. He may have done so because he respects and understands a girl"s needs, as opposed to having done so out of some sort of sexist reason. Why is it okay for a tall person to get something for a shorter person from a tall shelf but not for a boy to do something for a girl? In fact, in my opinion, such would be even more sexist because one would be blatantly discriminating base on gender. Yet that person somehow gets an okay pass on this.
I am not proposing for an elimination of feminism in the United States. But I am calling out old-school feminism and rendering it useless.
I"m not sure what will come out of this debate, just curious to see if anyone feels differently.
zamann234

Pro

To begin this argument we first need to define feminism.
Feminism is the advocacy of women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men.
It is that simple. Women need to be free from the bars that society places on them. The concept of old-fashion feminism is simply taking a more avid and active approach to feminism as opposed to just sitting by and teaching children everyone is equal/kumbaya and leaving women's equality at that.
To illustrate the necessity of one valid approach to battling misogyny being avidly pushing women equality, I will demonstrate that women are disadvantaged to men in society and sexism still exists.

1. Given equal opportunity women perform as good if not better than men.

A study done by Claudia Goldin, Lawrence F. Katz, and Ilyana Kuziemko in 2006 demonstrated that female high school students now outperform male students in most subjects and in particular on verbal test scores. The ratio of male to female college graduates has not only decreased, but reversed itself, and the majority of college graduates are now female. For an easy interpretation of this data I point your attention to Figure 1 in the cited paper.
Hopefully we can all agree that women are equal to men and deserve equal rights. If not we will have a much different argument.

2. Despite these facts, men dominate over women in the real world.

According to labor market statistics collected in Europe women's grossly hourly earnings are 16% than that of men in 2011. Furthermore here in the US despite women comprising ~50 % of the population they are grossly misrepresented in Congress. Now given the fact that women score just as well if not better on math and verbal test scores it seems a bit odd that they are making significantly less and comprise of only 20 of the 535 members of congress.

3. Necessity of "old-fashioned" feminism

My opponent will likely attempt to smear and hyperbolize the actuality of old fashion feminism. So I will now address old fashioned feminism. Given the most extreme true example of "old fashion" feminism we look to where it was most certainly relevant and most certainly needed: during the women's suffrage movement. Black and white pictures of women marching with posters aching and fighting for the right to vote. This is surely Plato's Form of "old fashioned" feminism.

A 20-year-old woman was gang-raped by 13 men on the orders of a village court as punishment for having a relationship with a man from a different community.
That was less than a few weeks ago. I am sitting here comfortably writing on a computer and in Eastern India a woman was raped by men because she had a a relationship with someone from a different community.
Old fashioned feminism was around to help women vote and these kinds of things are happening in the world.
And you're asking is it even relevant?

http://www2.econ.iastate.edu...
http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu...
http://www.cawp.rutgers.edu...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
himynameis

Con

himynameis forfeited this round.
zamann234

Pro

Seeing as my opponent has forfeited this round and I have yet to see any coherent arguments I will pass upon this round and just leave you all with the reminder that more work for women needs to be done. If you still do not believe that drastic and as many approaches as possible need to be taken I gently point you to look at the infanticide of baby girls in China and India. And yes, unfortunately this practice is still going on today.
himynameis

Con

himynameis forfeited this round.
zamann234

Pro

zamann234 forfeited this round.
himynameis

Con

himynameis forfeited this round.
zamann234

Pro

zamann234 forfeited this round.
himynameis

Con

himynameis forfeited this round.
zamann234

Pro

zamann234 forfeited this round.