Is police brutality a problem in the US?

Started: 12/7/2014 Category: News

Police brutality is a big issue in the United States, as I will show you if you accept this debate my freind.

I'll take it. It's fun to debate the side you disagree with sometimes.

First, I will demonstrate a few instances of horrible police brutality.
Here is the sad story of Michael Brown.
Here's what CNN has learned:

Brown was spending the summer in the neighborhood with his grandmother Desuirea Harris, she told CNN affiliate KMOV. She described him as "a good kid."

Family members say he was a recent graduate of nearby Normandy High School and was going to begin classes at Vatterott College on Monday.

Brown and a friend were walking to Harris' house, his mother and grandmother said, when a Ferguson police officer confronted them.

This is where the stories part ways.

Dorian Johnson, 22, told CNN that he and Brown were walking in the middle of the street when a white male officer pulled up and told them, "Get the f*** on the sidewalk." The young men replied that they were "not but a minute away from our destination, and we would shortly be out of the street," Johnson said.

The officer drove forward but stopped and backed up, almost hitting the pair, Johnson said.

"We were so close, almost inches away, that when he tried to open his door aggressively, the door ricocheted both off me and Big Mike's body and closed back on the officer," Johnson said.

Still in his car, the officer then grabbed Brown by his neck, Johnson said. Brown tried to pull away, but the officer kept pulling Brown toward him, he said.

The officer drew his weapon, and "he said, 'I'll shoot you' or 'I'm going to shoot' " and almost instantaneously fired his weapon, hitting Brown, Johnson said.

Johnson and a bloodied Brown took off running, and Johnson hid behind the first car he saw, he said. The officer got out of his car.

"I saw the officer proceeding after my friend Big Mike with his gun drawn, and he fired a second shot and that struck my friend Big Mike," Johnson told CNN's Wolf Blitzer. "And at that time, he turned around with his hands up, beginning to tell the officer that he was unarmed and to tell him to stop shooting. But at that time, the officer firing several more shots into my friend, and he hit the ground and died."
"We wasn't committing any crime, bringing no harm to nobody, but my friend was murdered in cold blood," he told KMOV.

Michael Brown was murdered in cold blood by officer Darren Wilson.
However, some may say that Darren Wilsons story is the accurate one, after all-the jury sided with him.
First of all there is evidence against that (
And second, a police officer has no right to shoot an unarmed man, especially when he (the policeman) has a chemical that could stop the threat (pepper spray like.) This was a brutal assault and there is no excuse for it.

Then, after this came Mr. Eric Garner. These were his last words. "I cant Breath..."
Police came and choked him to death. That's brutality. His crime? Selling smokes, not even worth a few months in jail. They could have used a tazer on him, but no. They had to be brutal. You can see the full extent of the brutality in this video.

Milton was a homeless, mentally ill African-American man, who was born on April 25, 1963, in Saginaw, Michigan. He was a community worker, and he was always there speaking out for those whom he considered the weak, for those who did not have the strength to speak for themselves.
He had a mental disability that became apparent as a young adult, from when he was probably 24 or 25. But in spite of this, he lived his life independently and with freedom.
He managed his own affairs, and that I supported and understood.
As long as he was on his medication and all, he did fine. It was when he wasn't on his medication that he was impatient. He'd sometimes become intolerant. But when he was on his medication, he maintained.
He always would say everybody has equal rights. That was one of his songs that he sang all the time. So he exposed violations and campaigned for redress for people that he thought were victims.
Milton took action to ensure and promote equal rights, and that was part of his training that he got from working with Rosa Parks. He was always addressing institutional racism. I admired him for that.

Being an avid reader and a researcher, he was knowledgeable about oppression, particularly violence towards poor people, people of color , the homeless, and those who struggled with mental illness.

For him to be shot at 46 times and hit 14 times by all white policemen, it really raised questions in my mind. How they circled him and assassinated him. One policeman, after he was on the ground, turned him over, handcuffed him, and put his foot on his back.
his blood running down the street like water. And he wasn't a threat, I mean, he had a little pen knife. He had no idea that those policemen would do that to him.

To have eight people stand in front of one human being and shoot at him 46 times and hit him 14 times " it's been devastating to our family. It was devastating to the community, to everybody. And justice still has not been served.

When you have the U.S. government go in and look at Milton's case for four or five months and then come out and say, "Well, it wasn't intentional." To shoot at somebody 46 times and it wasn't intentional? It has given me a commitment for the little time that I have left to work with parents whose kids have been similarly killed.

What needs to change is how police deal with situations like the one that ended in my son's death. The elected leaders and community leaders must address conditions that allow police to use excessive and deadly force with impunity.

Also-"Darrin Manning's unprovoked "stop and frisk" encounter with the Philadelphia police left him hospitalized with a ruptured testicle. Neykeyia Parker was violently dragged out of her car and aggressively arrested in front of her young child for "trespassing" at her own apartment complex in Houston. A Georgia toddler was burned when police threw a flash grenade into his playpen during a raid, and the manager of a Chicago tanning salon was confronted by a raiding police officer bellowing that he would kill her and her family, captured on the salon"s surveillance. An elderly man in Ohio was left in need of facial reconstructive surgery after police entered his home without a warrant to sort out a dispute about a trailer. These stories are a small selection of recent police brutality reports, as police misconduct has become a fixture of the news cycle."---TheAmericanConservative

Is this a problem? Yes.
It is a cancer in the body of our Police forces.

NOTE: Not all police men are "bad cops". Actually, the majority of them do try to protect the citizens of this country. And I respect that. However there are a few bad cops, and those people need to be addressed and put off the force.

ThadeusSmith forfeited this round.

Since my opponent forfeit I will give a brief argument.

This comment thread at the online police forum PoliceLink has more examples of t-shirts the law enforcement commenters found amusing. Among the comments:

-- "In God we trust, all others get searched,"

-- "A picture of an electric chair with the caption: JUSTICE: Regular or Crispy"

-- "B.D.R.T Baby Daddy Removal Team on the back and the initials on front with handcuffs. You should see peoples faces when I wear it....HAHAHAHA"

-- "Human trash collector. ( above a pair of handcuffs )"

-- "Take No Guff, Cut No Slack, Hook'em, Book'em and Don't Look Back!"

-- "'Boys on the Hood' Pic had two gangbangers jacked up on the hood of a patrol car with two officers."

-- "SWAT T-shirt: 'Happiness is getting the green light!'"

-- "I have one that sates "SWAT SNIPER" on the front and on back it has a picure of a "terrorist" with a shell ripping through his skull and the "pink mist" spraying from the back of his head. Below the picture it reads, "Guerillas in the mist".

-- "Save the police time, beat yourself up"

-- "An ounce of prevention is fine and dandy........ But we prefer 168 grains of cure."

-- "Be good or you might get a visit from the bullet fairy."

-- "Sniper - When you only have 1 shot at an opportunity......We'll make it count"

-- "Law Enforcement......Helping perps slip down stairs since 1766"

-- "Math for Cops.........2 to the chest + 1 to the head = problem solved"

-- "I had a couple of 'em a loooong time ago....1 showed a cop leaning on his rather long nightstick, saying "Police Brutality....the fun part of policework."......obviously not very PC....another was a picture of a LEO with smoke coming from the muzzle of his pistol, with a badguy falling backwards (lookin' like swiss cheese) with the caption.....The best action is OVERREACTION....also not very PC...."

-- "Cops make good roommates...they're used to taking out the trash."

-- "There was also one I saw where there was a big burly looking Sarge behind his desk and the cation read 'It doesn't say kindness and sympathy on the badge.'"

-- "happiness is a confirmed kill"

-- "Park Ranger T-shirt: One of funniest I ever saw: Picture of Smokey the Bear with Riot Gear and he's just poked a protester in the chest with a riot baton. The Caption Reads: "Smokey Don't Play That". Funny!"

-- "My Daddy can Taser your Daddy"

-- "School Patrol - You fail em, we jail em"

-- "Got one that says, "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you."
---Huffington post

These are slogans on policemens shirts that they walk around with!
From this you can obviously see their attitude towards the public.
"It's worth noting that policing is a high-stress job, and one that often puts officers in contact with some pretty awful things, and in some dangerous situations. Like other high-stress professions, and professions that encounter difficult subject matter -- defense attorneys, medical examiners, emergency room doctors and nurses -- cops often develop a morbid sense of humor. It's a coping mechanism. But it's one thing to crack jokes inside the department, or at the bar after work. It's quite another to openly advertise and promote a culture of abuse. As with most police abuse issues, the real failure here is on the part of the elected officials. They're the ones who can't resist the urge to incessantly declare "war" on things, who are responsible for setting the policies that have given rise to this culture, and who have done little to nothing to rein it in. --Huffington post.
Also, we have recently witnessed the horrible shootings of Michael Brown and Eric garner.

Theres a pattern.
The Police (though not all of them) are starting to make police brutality a huge problem in the USA.

Granted, there are plenty of nice police officers,
But this is still a problem.

Back to you.

Also-Read this article

ThadeusSmith forfeited this round.
Posted by nuidog 1 year ago
Well for one thing you failed to mention that Michael Brown stole cigars from a gas station right before he was shot. It was not like he was just walking down the road and the cop decided to stop him for no reason. Also police brutality is a problem in any major police force, however, if people just comply with the police and do as they are told they will most likely not end up in the ground.
Posted by ThadeusSmith 1 year ago
Jesus. That second one...
Posted by cheyennebodie 1 year ago
It is only a big issue because the media makes it that way.The larger picture is all the violence between individuals the police have to deal with. Especially in the liberal utopia's of gun free zones.Where the folks have been disarmed where they cannot help. Police are not first responders, the victim is. The police have to come and mop up the mess that criminals leave behind.Just because a black thug was killed justifiably and al Sharpton pimped it out does not mean we have to condemn the police.

The next time one of you protesters are in trouble, call al Sharpton or jesse Jackson.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by FaustianJustice 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Swept. Pity, looked like something worth discussing.