Dubloon
RyuuKyuzo

Is procrasination possible?

RyuuKyuzo
Started: 8/21/2012 Category: Sports

Dubloon

Con

Is it possible? I will be con. First round is for acceptence. second round is for double checking.
RyuuKyuzo

Pro

I accept. I will be arguing that procrastination is possible.

Resolution

It is possible for humans to procrastinate.

Burden of Proof

I will accept the BOP as I am contending procrastination is possible.

Definitions

Procrastination: The act of replacing high-priority actions with tasks of lower priority, or doing something from which one derives enjoyment, and thus putting off important tasks to a later time.

Possible: Able to be done; within the power or capacity of someone or something.

This seems like a slam-dunk debate for me, so I'm suspicious that Con has something up his sleeve. I look forward to your response.
Dubloon

Con

This may be a "slam" or a "dunk" for you, but I still believe that I believe that procrastination is impossible. This is because of this definition:

1 Not able to occur, exist, or be done: "an impossible task";
2 "impossible to keep up". Very difficult to deal with: "an impossible situation".

As you can see, the second definition shows a different version of impossible. It is "difficult" to deal with. I did not specify which impossible I was reffereeing to, but number two is my interpretation.

Now procrastination is "difficult to deal with," don't you think?

Let it be noted that the source (dictionary.com) is not biased in the way they define words that begin with the letter "i" just because they confuse us :(. Here are some other definitions that define similar definitions for "impossible"

"Totally Unlikely" (it is unlikely you will ever have a life if you are a procrastinator)
"Impossible" is the 15th episode of the ABC television series, Desperate Housewives. The episode was the 15th episode for the show's first season. The episode was written by Marc Cherry and Tom Spezialy and was directed by Larry Shaw. It originally aired on February 20, 2005." (The show is unbearing to watch, as it is when your life is in shambles)
"Unlikely, difficult, implausible, uncomfortable, new."(Unlikely you'll ever recover, difficult to talk to other human beings, implausible that you'll get married, uncomfortable to sleep on the bench that has gum on it beside the street, new best friend that is actually a face on an egg."

Also this blogspot website I didn't read said that procrastination doesn't exist. So, yeah!
http://jonathancreaghan.blogspot.com...

And this website, which again I didn't read:
http://deliberateink.com...

It is for these reasons that I am right and you are wrong. Thank you, g'day.

.
RyuuKyuzo

Pro

I'm glad to see there's an actual argument here. For a minute there I was worried this was a fake account.

Counter Arguments

1. This Definition

Con has defined "impossible" as ""impossible to keep up". Very difficult to deal with: "an impossible situation". Con claims this definition is from Dictionary.com, however I find it highly unlikely that a dictionary would define the word "impossible" by using the word "impossible" in the definition, and upon further investigation my suspicions were confirmed. The actual definition of impossible given at dictionary.com is;

"im·pos·si·ble [im-pos-uh-buhl]

adjective
1.
not possible; unable to be, exist, happen, etc.

2.
unable to be done, performed, effected, etc.: an impossibleassignment.

3.
incapable of being true, as a rumor.

4.
not to be done, endured, etc., with any degree of reason orpropriety: an impossible situation.

5.
utterly impracticable: an impossible plan." [1]

It seems Con has been caught in a lie.

Furthermore, defining the word impossible doesn't connect procrastination to impossibility. Con contends that procrastination is difficult (and therefore impossible?), but this is clearly not the case as, "In accordance with Freud, the Pleasure principle may be responsible for procrastination; humans do not prefer negative emotions, and handing off a stressful task until a further date is enjoyable." [2]

As you can see, the only reason why people procrastinate is because procrastination is not difficult. It's very easy to do and that's why so many people do it every day.

Finally, it should be noted that I defined possible in round 1 as "Able to be done; within the power or capacity of someone or something." meaning the definition of impossible for this debate is then, "NOT able to be done; NOT within the power or capacity of someone or something." -- Con cannot re-define impossible in round 2 as it was already defined by me in round 1. If Con wanted to define 'impossible' then he needed to do so in round 1. By not doing this, he has handed over the right to define terms to me, which I have done.

2. Other Definitions

These are all irrelevant. Con hasn't even tried to make an argument out of these definitions.

Arguments

1. Examples of Procrastination

To prove procrastination is not impossible I've taken the liberty of googling for examples of people procrastinating. the first link was for ADDforums.com, a network for people suffering from attention deficit disorder. On it is a thread where members of this site have compiled a list of times they've procrastinated. This thread is about 2 pages long. [3]
Clearly procrastination is not impossible, it's not even difficult.

Con has re-defined a term he was not allowed to re-define, he lied about his source for his illegitimate re-definition and made an argument that doesn't follow from this definition for his case. Con's argument is a mess on every level, while I have provided examples of procrastination that prove it is not only possible, but the preferred method of dealing with problems in accordance with the pleasure principle.

I look forward to your response.

1. http://dictionary.reference.com...
2. http://en.wikipedia.org...
3. http://www.addforums.com...
Dubloon

Con

Although you pretty much have this debate in the bag, and I could not extend my former arguments further, I do have a trick. I feel like a jerk for using it, but people are going to vote for you anywa--

Definition of procrastination: the act of procrastinating; putting off or delaying or defering an action to a later time.

Definition of procrasination: There are no definitions for procrasination

I am sorry that I have to resort to semantics(?) and comic sans, but what'ya gonna do? amirite amirite?
Impossible to win debates are impossible to win.

RyuuKyuzo

Pro

Counter Arguments

1. Definition of Procrastination

Con contends that there is no definition of procrastination. This is simply not the case as this source proves. [1]

Furthermore, I defined "procrastination" in round one, so this matter is already settled.

Con has failed to discredit my examples and debunk my arguments. The possibility of procrastination has been established and therefore my BOP has been fulfilled.

I thank my opponent for an... interesting debate.

Conduct - Pro. Con lied about his sourcing in round 2

Spelling/Grammar - Tie, but feel free to give this to Con for being entertaining.

Arguments - Pro, because I had actual arguments

Sources - Pro. I didn't lie about my sourcing and Con admits to not reading his own sources

Vote Pro! =)

1. http://lmgtfy.com...
Posted by Sui_Generis 4 years ago
Sui_Generis
Oh how I wished that you were going to forfeit the second round, and comment in the third that you didn't get around to it in time. haha.
Posted by ax123man 4 years ago
ax123man
This was pretty funny :)
Posted by ebg 5 years ago
ebg
I'm going to vote, but I'm going to do to later...
Posted by RationalMadman 5 years ago
RationalMadman
Con was a bloody joke. Absolute shambles of a debate for con.
Posted by adontimasu 5 years ago
adontimasu
A vote for pro is a vote against trolls!
Posted by Dubloon 5 years ago
Dubloon
Because if you had fun, you won
Posted by yuiru 5 years ago
yuiru
How is con supposed to reign superior in this debate?
Vote Placed by Clash 5 years ago
Clash
DubloonRyuuKyuzoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro successfully proved that procrasination is possible by giving clear examples of people saying themselves that they have been procrastinated. Con wasn't able to refute this argument. Moreover, Con didn't have actual arguments and didn't successfully prove that procrastination is impossible. Indeed, it is almost impossible to prove something IMPOSSIBLE. Con tried to prove that procrastination is impossible by giving some definitions. However, Pro clearly refuted this very flawed argument.
Vote Placed by Jhate 5 years ago
Jhate
DubloonRyuuKyuzoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro by a land slide. Didnt understand what con meant by "Semantics"
Vote Placed by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
DubloonRyuuKyuzoTied
Reasons for voting decision: felt like con had conceded the debate the whole time he argued