Rjupudi18
RebholzJack

Is purgatory Biblical?

RebholzJack has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Rjupudi18

Con

I will argue that the idea of purgatory proposed mainly by the Roman Catholic Church is not Biblical and therefore a false belief. Pro can go ahead and post their initial arguments in round 1. There is no particular format except arguments and counter-arguments from both sides.

Definition of Purgatory:
Purgatory - (in the belief of Roman Catholics and others) a condition or place in which the souls of those dying penitent are purified from venial sins, or undergo the temporal punishment that, after the guilt of mortal sin has been remitted, still remains to be endured by the sinner.

http://www.dictionary.com...
RebholzJack

Pro

As a young child I was raised Catholic, specifically Roman Catholic. Although, I don't consider myself a Christian as of now I most definitely believe the Bible supports Purgatory, as there are many biblical quotes supporting purgatory even in Bible's that aren't affiliated with Catholic doctrine.

My first argument is that the Bible clearly states in multiple scriptures that you do not go straight to Heaven or Hell when you die, but instead purgatory. One being Corinthians 3:13 - 15, "Each man's work will indeed manifest; for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed through fire, and the fire will test the work of what each man has done. If the work which any man has built through Jesus survives, he will be rewarded. However, if a man's work burns he will suffer the loss, he himself will be saved, but only through fire."

This passage is clearly talking about people who will be going to heaven, as it says "He himself will be saved", but in order to be saved they must go through fire, which in connotation is Purgatory. In fact, it says you must got through purgatory in this verse too, "The fire will test the work each man has done. If the work which any man has built through Jesus survives, he will be rewarded." Meaning that if one walks through purgatory whatever works done with the mindfulness of Jesus at heart will be saved, and the work done in sin will be purged, "If a mans's work burns he will suffer the loss, he himself will be saved" meaning that all men have sinned and the fires of purgatory will burn away the sin and save what has been done through the work of Jesus. One isn't able go straight to heaven as nobody can live without sin. That's what purgatory is, as system in which purges sin and progresses morality. Weeds out those who are evil, and rewards those who are faithful, through guiding them to heaven.
Rjupudi18

Con

Sorry, I ran out of time to post this round. I'll post next round or we can restart a new debate with the same matter.
Posted by RebholzJack 1 year ago
RebholzJack
Okay, that's fine. Whenever you can get around to it just message me or post a comment on here.
Posted by Rjupudi18 1 year ago
Rjupudi18
It's fine. I'm doing two other debates right now. We'll see to set up a new debate later.
Posted by RebholzJack 1 year ago
RebholzJack
@Rjupudi18 Sorry man, haven't been able to get online for a while now. You can either post a round, we could start a new debate on the same topic, or call it a draw. Any of those are okay with me.
Posted by FollowerofChrist1955 1 year ago
FollowerofChrist1955
You should attend this debate:
Atheism- A lost reality! A hopeless, helpless cause!
Posted by Rjupudi18 1 year ago
Rjupudi18
@Geogeer You can go ahead and post your initial arguments supporting purgatory in round 1.
Posted by Rjupudi18 1 year ago
Rjupudi18
@dsjpk5 I would like for us to use the most common and widely used Bible translations out there.
Recommended: NIV, KJV, NLT, NKJV and ESV.
We will be only using the 66 books of the Bible that are accepted as Scripture by all Christians. No Catholic/Orthodox books of the Bible.
Posted by Rjupudi18 1 year ago
Rjupudi18
@sboss18 "Biblical" meaning the idea is supported by the Bible and therefore has validity in the Christian faith.
Posted by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
Since there are so many different versions of the Bible, I would want us to agree to use the same one before I would accept this debate. Is that ok?
Posted by Geogeer 1 year ago
Geogeer
If no one else accepts, let me know. I will debate this with you. Would you want me to start in the first round?
Posted by sboss18 1 year ago
sboss18
Please define "Biblical".