NoobyGurl
DebaterDracon

Is racism still a big issue?

NoobyGurl

Pro

Racism is still a very serious problem that many people have to deal with. Many races have to deal with it including blacks, Asians, Mexicans, and sometimes whites.
DebaterDracon

Con

I wouldn't say that racism is the real issue. I'd say it is more racial profiling. There is a difference.

Definitions:
Racism 1- a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.
Racism 2- racial prejudice or discrimination.[1]

Racial profiling - the discriminatory practice by law enforcement officials of targeting individuals for suspicion of crime based on the individuals' race, ethnicity, religion or national origin. [2]

As you can see, both topics are similar, but still different. Now then, on to my main point.

Racism still exists, there is no doubt about that, and it probably never will fully vanish, but I believe that it is more profiling than it is racism. We hear about it all the time in the news. A black person was shot by a cop only for them to come to the conclusion that the man didn't even carry a weapon. And it doesn't even have to involve the law. People all the time avoid one another based on what they've heard. You see an African American walking down the street, hands in his pockets, hood up, one could assume that they're a hoodlum when in reality they're just cold and are trying to hurry home to their family. It's a very common misconception that profiling is the same as racism when it truly isn't.

I'd say that profiling - especially racial profiling - is the bigger issue here. Not to say racism is a minor problem, but that it just isn't as major any more. As a society, I believe that most of mankind has come a long way and that we should put any and all that behind us. I mean, we are all human. Why should your skin tone or where you come from dictate how people should treat you?

Resources:
[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[2] https://www.aclu.org...
NoobyGurl

Pro

NoobyGurl forfeited this round.
DebaterDracon

Con

My opponent has forfeited, therefore I do believe I am the victor.
NoobyGurl

Pro

NoobyGurl forfeited this round.
DebaterDracon

Con

DebaterDracon forfeited this round.
NoobyGurl

Pro

NoobyGurl forfeited this round.
DebaterDracon

Con

Finishing the debate.