elliotz11
hannah-smith98

Is radical feminism still needed in Western society?

elliotz11

Con

It's 2015. In most, if not all Western nations, the women's rights movement of the past century was largely a success. Yet still, here in the United States I see many women claiming that they are EXTREMELY oppressed by our society. Even today. I find this notion ridiculous. Of course, there are some problems that Western women still face. Of course, women deserve to be paid every cent as much as men for the same work. Of course, rape and sexual abuse still plague far too many innocent women. But to many modern feminists, these issues are the least of their concern. Not all feminists, but some, are beginning to think that they deserve MORE rights than men. But doesn't this go against their basic principles of equality? A feminist once told me that her definition feminism was equal rights for all genders. If this is the case, why not call it "gender equality?" Why force the issue on the struggles of a single gender? I'm beginning to notice that in this day and age, for every problem women in this country face, there is a different double standard against men. A few examples: if a man offers to split the bill with his date after dinner, he is considered cheap and there's no second date. But if a woman wants to split the bill, people will praise her for her independence. A man will be criticized should he not hold a door for a woman behind him, but in the opposite scenario, nobody would think a thing. Now, imagine a man filing a sexual harassment suit against a woman. It's very uncommon, but a woman would be unlikely to ever be charged. Another example: take domestic abuse. When the video of Ray Rice beating his girlfriend surfaced, he was swiftly removed from the Ravens and suspended from the NFL, as he should be. But on the other side, many of us heard about a female national soccer player ( I'm sorry I can't remember the name) was arrested for brutally beating her boyfriend, but released with no charge, and she is yet again playing soccer. In addition, on this website, a friend showed me a feminist's post about how "a man must dedicate his life to serve women." And she received praise for saying that. What if a man were to say the opposite. He would be called no more than a sexist pig. Neither of these things should be said. No one gender's life should be dedicated to serving the other. So where am I going with this? Many feminists are focusing their energy on the wrong issues. Instead of demanding to be more than equal in their own country, they could be working to protect the rights of women in less developed nations, such as the Middle East, where women really are oppressed. Gender equality will only come after we stop turning every issue into a gender war, and actually treat each sex EQUALLY.
hannah-smith98

Pro

To begin with, you've defined feminism as "activism for females to have more rights than men", however, this is not what feminism is. Feminism is activism for EQUAL rights. It is fighting for women's rights to increase so that females are seen as equal as men. For example, men are able to be shirtless without derogatory comments but if women are shirtless, they're labelled as sluts, "asking for rape", "they want men to stare" etc. The female body is so sexualised.

However, even if this debate is about arguing for females to have more rights than men, this is still the correct case temporarily. There is no denying that women have a history of being less superior than men. When someone is behind in a race, or disadvantaged, it is fair they get a "head start". Physically disabled people, for example, have specific car parks allocated for them right beside the shopping centre's entrance. This is not giving them "more rights", but simply giving them the boost they need so that they are treated equally.

As for your example of men paying for meals, this is an act of chivalry that men do if they want to come across as a gentlemen. It is not a requirement, however some males take pride in their kindness and actions and genuinely want to pay. It's a choice, not an expectation.

You also made reference to the case where the male who beat his wife was punished, however the female soccer player who abused her partner was able to continue to play soccer today. Yes, I agree that this is unfair however these cases are isolated and not always the case. I can't comment on the soccer incident as you can't remember the name (I understand, it happens) but the verdict comes down to the finer details. By this I mean information on their background etc. Because we are unable to confirm the facts because the case has not been named, we can't do that.

ALSO, in addition, I would like to acknowledge your point regarding how men are also unequal. You may refer to how men are expected to be tough and if they're too skinny they're "weak", if they cry then they are whimps and not your "typical tough guy". However, as the true definition of feminism stands, feminists advocate for everyone to be treated equally.
elliotz11

Con

elliotz11 forfeited this round.
hannah-smith98

Pro

My opponent forfeited...
elliotz11

Con

elliotz11 forfeited this round.
hannah-smith98

Pro

hannah-smith98 forfeited this round.
Posted by hannah-smith98 1 year ago
hannah-smith98
They didn't define radical feminism. I could have been referring to protests, laws allowing topless women etc. Women do need great support in this day and age still because of how sexualised the body is. There's no denying that.
Posted by Espera 1 year ago
Espera
The question is if we need radical feminism - and the answer to that is NO. Moreover what is not needed is Tumblr feminism which isn't about equality or giving women their fair share. It's about beating up on a group that can't help their "sin" of being male. You can not help being born female or male, you can not help your sexuality, you can not help your skin color, and you cannot help biological defects/mutations/congenital effects. But Tumblr SJWing doesn't recognize that - if you are a straight white male apparently that means something is wrong with you and it's okay to treat you like dirt. And that kind of stupidity will only lead to backlash and a setting back of all that has been worked for. Also it's disgusting.
Posted by dsowders 1 year ago
dsowders
The majority of the pro argument is stating that women have a lot of hostile stereotypes on their heads, but this is confusing. How do they propose we fix these stereotypes, should we take away freedom of speech? Don't forget that men have stereotypes too....
Posted by jconca 1 year ago
jconca
I agree with some of your points. However, the assumption that feminists want more rights than men is not true. The reason feminism is in existence is because women have traditionally been seen as subordinate to men. Even now, as you mentioned, there are issues with pay and sexual assault on women, meaning that feminism's job isn't done. Women are still treated as inferior to men, in society and in the workplace. These issues you mentioned at the beginning must be addressed by legal action. These are institutionalized issues, much different than social double standards.

The double standards that you mentioned are definitely palpable in society. However, there are many double standards against women as well. For example, if a man sleeps with a lot of women, he is glorified, "the man" and left without ridicule. whereas, if a woman sleeps with a lot of men she is labeled a slut or a whore. An assertive woman, a boss maybe, is often labeled as bossy, bitchy or pmsing, whereas a man is strong and powerful. I know there are stereotypes that plague society, but the overreaching issues of equal pay and the fact that 1 in 3 females will be raped in college, is far more pressing.

I agree that there are inequalities for both men and women. Feminism is aimed at creating equality. Feminism is synonymous with gender equality, but I can understand that the name is misleading.
Posted by Burncastle 1 year ago
Burncastle
Well, one could argue that we need radical feminism as a form of entertainment.