dmussi12
Ahavat

Is rap/hip-hop music "bad"?

Started: 1/9/2014 Category: Music

dmussi12

Con

This debate will be on whether or not rap/hip-hop music is "bad."

Here, 'bad' will be defined as "not good in any manner or degree." Therefore the Pro can prove that rap requires no talent, is harmful to youth/society, is unprofitable, etc. I will attempt to refute all arguments, but if I fail to refute one, I will lose the debate.

Pro may begin the debate upon acceptance.
Ahavat

Pro

I negate the resolution that rap and hip hop music are bad.

Like other types of music and arts, rap and hip hop are forms of personal expression through music. Since personal expression varies from person to person, since no two people are alike, stating that rap and hip hop are "bad" is making a generalization that all rappers and hip hop artists compose the same material. They don't. Music varies just as personal expression varies. Therefore, some rap songs and hip hop songs can contain content that might be considered "bad" in the eyes of my opponent, but he/she cannot reasonably state that ALL hip hop and rap songs are like this. An example might be the song "Thrift Shop" by Macklemore. Though the song may contain cusswords, it promote and puts a positive view on thrift shopping.

My opponent stated that rap and hip hop require no talent, but I state otherwise. A key component of any song, rap/hip hop or otherwise, are the lyrics, which are essentially poetry. Therefore, a talent in writing and poetry is essential.
dmussi12

Con

I believe you misunderstood. The Con (my) position was against the claim that hip-hop music is bad. I apologize if I caused confusion.
Ahavat

Pro

Oh, my bad. You're fine.

I affirm the resolution that rap and hip hop music is bad, with "bad" being defined as having a negative influence, and it's lack of musical components.

My first contention is that rap and hip hop are harmful due to the negative influence that they can have on listeners, especially the youth audience. many rap and hip hop songs speak highly of socially unacceptable topics such as casual sex and hooking up, drug and alcohol use and abuse, and the use of racial slurs. For example, Ice-T's song "Straight Up Nigga" has lyrics which include "I'm a nigga in America, and that much I flaunt." The use of this racial slur by a popular rap artist promotes the use of racial slurs by sending out a message that offensive language is perfectly acceptable in society.

"Teenagers who listen to hardcore rap may be more likely to use drugs, commit crimes and join street gangs than teens who listen to softer music" (Psychology Today) elaborates on this concept that rap and hip hop are damaging to the youth of today. In Montreal, Quebec, 350 teens who listened to French rap (French is the primary spoken language in Quebec) were found to have higher chances of joining a gang, using drugs, and committing crimes than their peers who listened to softer music. This is not surprising, because drugs, alcohol, and gangs are certainly not discouraged in rap; in fact, they are displayed as socially acceptable.

If someone was to write a poem and read it out loud, what would that be called? Obviously we would call it "reciting a poem," or something of the like, but it would certainly not be deemed "making music." All lyrics have a poetic element to them, which really make them poems. When the poems are sang, with "singing" being defined as "make musical sounds with the voice, esp. words with a set tune." (Google Dictionary). We call the result a song. Rap is defined by Merriam-Webster as "a rhythmic chanting often in unison of usually rhymed couplets to a musical accompaniment." Chanting is not singing because chanting is defined by Merriam-Webster as "to make melodic sounds with the voice." Therefore, chanting is no different from reciting a poem, as which stated earlier, is just a rhythmic form of speech, not music.
dmussi12

Con

dmussi12 forfeited this round.
Ahavat

Pro

Ahavat forfeited this round.
dmussi12

Con

I am refraining from carrying on this debate because the CON entered because of a misunderstanding. I won't make him take up an argument he did not originally support.
Ahavat

Pro

Ahavat forfeited this round.
dmussi12

Con

dmussi12 forfeited this round.
Ahavat

Pro

Ahavat forfeited this round.
Posted by shawnperrywilliams 3 years ago
shawnperrywilliams
Here is an interesting article on a similar topic: http://thecontroversialist.net...
Posted by JJaka99 3 years ago
JJaka99
I agree with Ahavat. Firstly Hip Hop is crap!!! Secondly most Rap you don't even understand what the heck they are saying.
Posted by Ahavat 3 years ago
Ahavat
I forgot to put my sources in my argument. Here they are!

Rap's Embrace of "Nigger" fires Bitter Debate:
http://www.nytimes.com...

Hip-Hop's Bad Rap | Psychology Today
http://www.psychologytoday.com...

Merriam-Webster's Definition of "Chant"
http://www.merriam-webster.com...

Merriam-Webster's Definition of "Rap"
http://www.merriam-webster.com...

I just Googled "Define singing" and it had the definition with no link.