charlottemoore6
Zafirah_Z

Is reading fiction good for you?

charlottemoore6

Pro

"Fiction reveals truth that reality obscures."-Ralph Waldo Emerson People everywhere think that fiction is a waste of time. They think that it"s a waste of time because they think that people should just be thinking and reading about serious things. They don"t realize that fiction books can inspire people, and make them better people. Fiction is not a waste of time because people can learn from it; people can expand their imagination and also become better people. (Debate.com) People think that reading is a waste of time because we need to focus on the real issues and we need to focus on fixing the problems in the real world instead of reading about fiction. People wouldn"t be inspired to fix the problems in the real world if they didn"t have fiction books to influence them in the first place, because those imaginary worlds can make us be brave, and encourage to fight for what"s right.
The way people can learn from fiction books is that you can change your point of view on the world. You can also change your relationships with people and make your relationships better, and you can be influenced to be better. You can learn from the characters that are brave, and smart. People can make the characters your role models. You can learn from fiction and the morals of the stories can also inspire us to help eachother.
"Imagination and fiction make up more than three quarters of our real life."- Simone Weil Fiction books are really good for people because they can expand their imagination. Some people forget to use their imagination and grow up too fast. Your view on the world can change the way that other people see you. Reading Fiction can teach you more about life that non-fiction pieces could ever teach you. Fiction pieces can influence you to encourage you to follow your dreams. Sometimes people think that they can"t accomplish something and give up on their dreams.
You can become a better person by reading fiction. You can read and learn about what happens if you are nice to people and treat others how you want to be treated. You can be a better person by escaping your problems, and reading about other lands. You can also become a better person by learning from the moral of the stories.
People don"t understand that how much you can learn from reading fiction. It helps you improve in many ways. You can become a better person, learn from it, and even help you expand your imagination. Fiction makes the world a better place. It can inspire people to be better, and to try new things.
Zafirah_Z

Con

Though I somewhat agree on your opinion but I also would like to oppose the motion . As you said that fiction can increase the imagination of an individual, wouldn't that just cause more of a conflict ? As you can see , fiction books these days involve more in romance genre and more individuals are going delusional over it. Most individuals are going obsessed with the fictions written and expect that reality would be the same thing. Fictional books have already corrupted the mines of nearly a quarter of the humans population. So basically , fictional books have ruined individuals psychologically. Some people would lose track of what's reality and what's fiction. As Evidence , A 13-year old teenager was found dead in her room. it was identified that she had caused suicide . The police understand that she was heart-broken that her boyfriend didn't do something she expected he would do.Her friends revealed that she got the idea from reading fictional books too much. Although that it may sound that imagination is good but too much would be a disaster .

If that point is not great enough ,i would like to make a new point and that is parents would spend a large amount of money to fulfil the wanting of their sons and daughters. teenagers easily get addicted and influenced and when they do, they would do anything for it. Addiction of reading may sound like a good thing but not fictional-ones as they cost a lot and take just a short amount of time to finish. the contents doesn't seem to fit with the price . As known that non-fictional books cost a lot but at least it has a range of education and facts. knowledge stays forever while stories are just for entertainment .it would only be a total waste of money . and with that, I rest my case
charlottemoore6

Pro

Im sorry... That girl obviously had more going on, and her friends suspected that she committed suicide because of fiction books? I am saying fiction books can help us get through tough times give us hope for a better future.
Zafirah_Z

Con

Zafirah_Z forfeited this round.
charlottemoore6

Pro

charlottemoore6 forfeited this round.
Zafirah_Z

Con

Zafirah_Z forfeited this round.
Posted by charlottemoore6 3 years ago
charlottemoore6
PeriodicPatriot who hates winning? but thats NOT why I started this debate in class we did a paper on it I'm in 8th grade and I just wanted to see other peoples opinions on Reading Fiction. Why is that so bad?
Posted by InVinoVeritas 3 years ago
InVinoVeritas
(...To be fair, I still can't spell my name, even after reading it.)
Posted by InVinoVeritas 3 years ago
InVinoVeritas
Before reading the Captain Underpants series, I couldn't spell my name.
Posted by PeriodicPatriot 3 years ago
PeriodicPatriot
Just saying, but why would you start a debate and pick a side if you know you're gonna win anyway. You are a waste of time sir, or ma'am. You just want to win.
Posted by charlottemoore6 3 years ago
charlottemoore6
agreed! :)
Posted by Romanii 3 years ago
Romanii
IKR, I hate those cranky old adults who think fiction is "dumb".