crippledatheist
The_Master_Riddler

Is religion a force for good?

crippledatheist

Con

Is religion a force for good? My stand is a resounding no. Religion is in my opinion, the most influential force in the practice of evil, immorality, and inhumane practices known to man. Some of the examples of this would be the molestation of children by the Catholic church, the genital mutilation of many of the worlds religions, and the contraception lie that is spread by many religious missionaries in Africa. Does this sound like a force for good? I think not.
The_Master_Riddler

Pro

Religion is in my opinion, the most influential force in the practice of evil, immorality, and inhumane practices known to man.

This is my opponent's logic.
Religion practices immoral beliefs.
Religions believe that killing people is wrong.
Therefore, we should kill people because that is moral because religion doesn't practice it,

This is false.
Many religions (if not all) believe that killing someone is wrong. That is moral.
Many religions say you should help the poor. That is moral.
Many religions believe that it is wrong to steal. That is moral.

That statement has been refuted.

Some of the examples of this would be the molestation of children by the Catholic church, the genital mutilation of many of the worlds religions, and the contraception lie that is spread by many religious missionaries in Africa.

These are not practices of the Catholic religion. Now, there might be a Catholic that does that, but that doesn't mean that is what he does due to his religion.
A dog can meow all day, but that doesn't make it a cat. It is still a dog.
President Obama said "You can put lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig." This means that you can do things that might change the appearance of something, but it is still the same. In this context, you can do bad things while representing a religion, but the standards of that religion still stay the same. The Catholic that did that probably knew what he did was wrong.

That statement was refuted.

crippledatheist

Con

Let me make one thing clear, my stand is not that whether a religion does something or not is a determining factor for the morallity of the act.

I could not sit here and say that religion has not done good, that would be completely false, religion has done good for alot of people, but these good acts are far less as impressive as the acts that are done in the name of religion. Here re some examples:

The crusades: an act of restoring access to the holy land and spreading christianity across Europe and Asis in the name of God, killing 200,000 people.

The Salem Witch Trials: Over 200 hundred people were killed by men of god for being witches and being in league with satan.

The Holocoust: Over 200 million jews were killed my Hitler because he claims he was sent by God to do so.( contrary to belief Hitler was not an Atheist, he was a roman-catholic, just look at soldier uniforms and notice the religious references and quotes.

You can also just flip through the bible to Deuteronomy or Leviticus and check out the Genocide that happens as a result of religion, and this is because they all though they had devine permission and power on their side.
The_Master_Riddler

Pro

I could not sit here and say that religion has not done good, that would be completely false, religion has done good for alot of people.

Then I am confused. Religion didn't tell people to do the evil things they did. My opponent can't prove that God, Allah, Budha, Yahweh, or any other god told them specifically to do the things they did. People that do evil things because of misconceptions. That doesn't mean that religion is the bad force, but it is the followers of that religion that is the bad force. My opponent concedes to this. My opponent needs to define force for me.
crippledatheist

Con

crippledatheist forfeited this round.
The_Master_Riddler

Pro

Extend all arguments.
crippledatheist

Con

When I say that religion was the driving force, I am saying that the people are taking what they understand from their teachings and their holy books and using that as the motivation for the acts that they have committed. You can look at the crusades, opening the way for people to travel to Jerusalem while at the same time raping, pillaging, and killing along the way, and they do this because in the bible, more specifically Deuteronomy and Leviticus, you can find the instructions on how and why to rape, pillage and murder in the name of god. When a Christian is told the bible is the spoken word of god, so this is where people will feel they are being told by god to do something. When you are under the delusion that your being told by your creator to do something, that becomes your driving FORCE.
The_Master_Riddler

Pro

People do that based upon their misconception of the Bible, not because God told them to do it. For example, the Bible says "Thou shall not commit adultery". If anybody raped someone, it wasn't because God told them to. It was because they thought God told them to, but in reality, God wouldn't tell anyone to hurt someone and it be upon unjust reasons.

I could not sit here and say that religion has not done good, that would be completely false, religion has done good for alot of people,

My opponent concedes that religion is a good thing because religion compells people to do good things.

When I say that religion was the driving force, I am saying that the people are taking what they understand from their teachings and their holy books and using that as the motivation for the acts that they have committed.

The Bible teaches not to kill anyone, so therefore, it couldn't be based on what the Bible teaches when in reference to the Crussades.

raping, pillaging, and killing along the way, and they do this because in the bible, more specifically Deuteronomy and Leviticus, you can find the instructions on how and why to rape, pillage and murder in the name of god.

This is not warranted, therefore shouldn't be taken into consideration. My opponent has not and I believe can not find a single scripture in the Bible where people raped others for God and God was pleased.

My opponent has to prove that in each and every situation, religion has been a bad force for people.
crippledatheist

Con

My opponent has not and I believe can not find a single scripture in the Bible where people raped others for God and God was pleased.

Here are perfect examples of both:

More Murder Rape and Pillage (Deuteronomy 20:10-14)

As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you.

Laws of Rape (Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)

If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

My opponent concedes that religion is a good thing because religion compels people to do good things.

I did say that religion can be good but it is an overall thing for people. One the perfect examples of this is not only the above quotes from the bible but you could also look at September 11, 2001. When people on a religious suicide mission killed thousands of people in the name of Allah.

The_Master_Riddler

Pro

The_Master_Riddler forfeited this round.