BradleyEB
Ngipe33

Is religion bad for the mind?

BradleyEB

Con

I personally think that yes, religion can be good for some but can devastate a mind who has not come to decide what they think is right for them. The question I am asking is, can religion be a negative aspect towards thinking and morality, and why.
I think that when religion is forced onto a young mind (extremely vulnerable) it can have devastating effects in the person's mind and overall character later in life.

But I have already told you what I think, so please give me your thought on this. I'm sorry that my grammar isn't the best (I'm not the best at spelling). But please give me your thoughts about this to help me on future debates, because this is my first one :D
Thank you! Happy debating, BradleyEB
Ngipe33

Pro

I think that religion is not harmful to the mind. I think that religion is a school of thinking- different religions have different values, and instruct you how to behave based on those values. A religion is just a perspective on how to live your life in the best way possible. We all want to live life to the fullest and make the right choices, and the more perspectives we have, the more equipped we are to make those choices. Religions provide you with different "methods" on how to live your life. I think that perspectives are always helpful, no matter what that perspective says.
BradleyEB

Con

Very good argument, I can see that religion can provide you with insturctions on how to live your'e life. But I think that it can be repetitive to the mind as a child, it is a parent's job to raise their child and not a priest's. It is also the child's job to decide on what he/she thinks is right, and it is certainly not a parent's job to tell their child that if they don't accept a certain religion then they suffer eternal torture and humiliation. I can see that Christian parents in particular see that telling a child about hell is just a warning, but in all honesty... would an all knowing all powerful, loving god who knows each of our fates, make decisions for us to lead to a hell he created us not to go to? Its almost like a puppet master knowing he is leading you towards eternal torture, why would he make us do bad if wanted us not to? I can see all this as a sale's pitch to get more people aquainted with their faith, but I could also see this as a plan to spread good across the world. But my question for this round is, is religion a jail for the mind... was it originally created to keep the future generations in line, was it created to keep a cult's hateful ideas silent. Is religion keeping us from wondering, from making breakthroughs to advance our species or has it kept us on the right track? I hope to have a great response like last round, keep giving me your thoughts! Happy debating, BradleyEB
Ngipe33

Pro

Ngipe33 forfeited this round.
BradleyEB

Con

BradleyEB forfeited this round.
Ngipe33

Pro

Ngipe33 forfeited this round.
Posted by Esiar 2 years ago
Esiar
I can be both bad and good. It depends on the religion.
Posted by That1User 2 years ago
That1User
He should.
Posted by gingerbread-man 2 years ago
gingerbread-man
Shouldn't you be Pro?