Is religion good for humanity/society?

Is religion good for society?
or humanity as a whole?,
I challenge someone who says "yes"

I accept your challenge.
Be warned, I do not argue for other religions. I'm a Christian and I would love to debate with you why Christianity is good for society.

DISCLAIMER: I'm going to focus on Christianity not because I like the other religion's but because you know that one the best.
To start off I feel that religion is not particularly good for society because of 5 reasons,
Faith healing and Infant death, Equality, holes in the commandments and causes society to go backwards in some cases.

Goddam faith healing, this is by far the stupidest thing any christian can do as it causes unneeded death and is pretty much manslaughter, not to begin with the fact that kids who are victims of this can die easily and have no say in it. Here is an example:
This kind of mindset has to be stopped because it is only going to continue and kill more innocent children, it is unneeded in today's society and is only going to send us backwards, and the only thing that caused it was the fanaticism of religion. this kind of stupidity is just downright a poison in society because it boasts the faith that the years of medical research is nothing compared to well... nothing except a proclaimed all knowing being.

There is also another problem related to the young children being trapped in the belief of Christianity,
it is that infants who die young are considered a free pass to heaven and that they are lucky, the problems of this are clear and some have taken this belief and just downright killed their own kids.... E.g:
This is just downright baaaaaad, because something that is supposed to be a force of "good" (if it ever was good) is now just "1st degree nuder"

I'll talk about my other points later, back to you Pro

The basis of the Christian religion is faith. Faith in Jesus Christ's resurrection. Now, there is a difference between biblical faith and blind faith. Biblical faith is faith based on evidence, but I won't go into that since that is not the topic of our debate.

The bible never teaches anyone to have blind faith.
1 Thessalonians 5:21 says "TEST everything and hold on to that which is good." If the bible commands us to have blind faith in someone, why would we need to verify whether things are authentic or fake.
Jesus Christ even told us to love the Lord with all our "MIND" (Luke 10:27) Now why would he do that if he just expected us to believe without thinking logically.
I don't endorse pastors that tell people not to go to the hospitals because of faith. The bible even speaks against it James 2:14-18 which says:
"What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, 'Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,' but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, FAITH BY ITSELF, IF NOT ACCOMPANIED BY WORKS IS DEAD. But someone will say 'You have faith; I have deeds.' Show me faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do."

The above passage is self explanatory, if we have faith, we should show it by what we do instead of doing nothing and expecting results.

The pastors that discourage people from seeking medical help are not acting based on the Word of God and are just greedy people.

Look, the fact that young children who die automatically go to heaven is wrong. It is those who do not have the ability to be accountable for their actions that automatically go to heaven. This makes complete sense because a mentally retarded person who kills someone would not be held accountable for that because he or she does not have the ability to differentiate between right and wrong.
Now as for this woman, she killed her 10 year old son and that is inexcusable regardless of the reason. The bible tells us in Exodus 20:13 that "You shall not murder." Period. She killed her son, thereby going against God's law, if she doesn't repent, she would go to hell.

Now, as for why Christianity is good for society,
1) Christianity gave women the freedom that they never had before. Like it or not, this was the case. Before Christianity came to the Roman Empire, there was no kind of equality for women. They were not even allowed to learn and Christianity changed that. When Christianity came, women were allowed to learn alongside Jesus. They were even counted as equals in salvation (Galatians 3:28)

2) Christianity teaches modesty which is very much in contrast to the over sexualized world that we live in.
1 Timothy 2:9 says "Likewise I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments,"

3) Christianity teaches salvation and justice for mankind. The thing is that what every human being ultimately wants is justice. That's why we become so angry when the judge lets a criminal free. But what if that judge looked at the criminal and said "You can go because my son will take your place." Justice has been served because someone has been punished for that crime. But if the criminal refuses this work and, instead of thanking the judge, starts insulting him, the judge has no choice but to still convict the criminal and make him serve the sentence. That's what Jesus Christ did for mankind. He gave the world justice by dying for the sins of the whole world. That's why if a convicted criminal accepts that gift, he is saved during judgement, but if he constantly refuses it during his lifetime, he would have to go to hell because of justice. That's why a loving God sends people to hell.

Thank you for reading my argument.

CoolEtto forfeited this round.

Looks that Con has forfeited the debate.

I would like to summarize b saying that Christianity is good for society because:

1) It provides an objective morality for our actions.

2) It preaches about the equality of men and women in Christ.

3) It teaches about modesty .

4) It provides justice and salvation to the whole world because since we are not able to keep the God's commandments, he sent His only Son to die and redeem us.

Thanks for this debate.
Posted by CoolEtto 1 year ago
Sorry im new,
didnt have much time and didnt plan ahead
and pro wins guys even if i do cuz he had sum gr8 points that were most likely better then mine,
Posted by Zarroette 1 year ago

Due to both sides essentially ignoring each other's cases, I have to weigh the impacts of the arguments made. There is no doubting that faith healing is a negative aspect of religion -- Con made this abundantly clear. However, to what extent it is prevalent is another question that was not answered. Young people being "trapped" in the faith begs the question due to the debate about whether religion is good for humanity. If it's good, then being trapped wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. I think that overall, the faith healing is a pretty serious negative, but I don't know how widespread it is, so I'm a bit stuck on how to weigh this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I never saw much argument as to why objective morality is good. With this in mind, Pro's argument here falls flat. Next was the equality point, of which I'm not convinced this is good, either. Why do we need equality between the genders. I guess this would appeal to the presupposing modern progressive, but it lacks inherent reason for me. Pro runs into the same problem with regards to modesty. Again, why should I care about this? Who cares if Christianity teaches about modesty? Pro merely states this. Pro's final argument was essentially an explanation of what religious justice is. However, there was an impact clause in this: "The thing is that what every human being ultimately wants is justice. That's why we become so angry when the judge lets a criminal free". However, I'm not shown that this is to be the case and I'm stretching a lot of words to give this an impact like this.

So, I found Con's first argument to be the most convincing of all, since it provided an argument and impact (death and backward medicine. etc.). Whilst Pro provided plenty of arguments, none of them had impacts sufficient enough to over-ride Con's argument. Therefore, I award arguments to Con. Conduct to Pro for Con's round forfeit.
Posted by UndeniableReality 1 year ago
"I'll talk about my other points later, back to you Pro"

There are only two debate rounds. You don't have the luxury to be too lazy to make even half of your argument in the first of those rounds.
Posted by ZenoCitium 1 year ago
Is this a debate or an outlet for personal opinion? I've seen good debates on this topic, but judging from RD1 it seems like CON ment to visit
Posted by Impartial 1 year ago
@cagystorm, based on what you've just written, I stongly suggest you watch that youtube video.
Posted by cagystorm 1 year ago
Are you serious? The majority of Christians don't preach faith healing... The one's that do rarely end up bad. People go to faith healing as a last resort. Not as first. Faith healing is stupid, but most Christians don't practice it.
Religious people have always been more charitable than secular (about 30% in most cases). Without religion the world would suffer a great deal, because of all the charities churches provide.
Posted by Impartial 1 year ago

An interesting bedate on the same question in which the Christian apologists get intellectually slaughtered.
Posted by UndeniableReality 1 year ago
Well, then please inform us when it starts being good for society.
Posted by Jadeus 1 year ago
Of course religion (I mean Christianity) for society. You can see it everywhere.
Posted by CoolEtto 1 year ago
ok... *drops the mic and walks away* *crying*
Vote Placed by 1Credo 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct goes to Pro due to forfeited round. Arguments go to Pro as Con was unable to successfully refute Pro's arguments.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments.