David286
apg235

Is religion good for society

David286

David286

Con

Religion has caused thousands if not millions of deaths. Religion has started alot of wars just because of differences between belief. Not to mention the bad morals religion teaches when claiming to teach good morals. These such morals are murder for difference in belief and I could go on and on about these terrible morals. It also teaches ignorance against scientific fact and evidence just based on a book that was wrote a few thousand years ago and it also causes people to push away reality.
apg235

Pro

First, I have to make a distinction. I am not generalizing religion, as you are. There are many religions that do not teach ignorance to scientific fact, or cause wars, or follow books that are written thousands of years ago. I speak in defense of my own spiritual and religious calling. Religion is the center to the morals of our daily life. It is the thing that would keep you from committing a crime even if you can get away with it. It is the thing that gives a moral compass to millions of people who, instead of seeking to undermine a system, will seek to benefit it. It is in the very fiber of our existence. Just the fact that you are writing this is proof that you have some sort of moral compass, at least one that has kept you from causing harm. Religion doesn't teach ignorance agains scientific fact, it instead offers its own explanation for events and facts. Science is constantly changing, improving, getting better. I like to think of science as a great puzzle, one that we have many pieces of today. Religion offers the whole puzzle, and so vast is it that we, with our tiny pieces of science can't see the whole puzzle without religion. Where will your science be in 1000 years? My religion however, is eternal.
David286

Con

Let me start by saying science will always be here whether I am alive or not so science is also eternal. Religion is one way that people jump to conclusions by trying to say I have figured it out God or some figure has done it all they have created the universe end of story. In my opinion however they are answering the question before they really ask it. Also I have morals but they do not come from religion they come from reasoning and thinking things through. The reason I believe we have morals is because when the human race were cavemen we found that it was better and more efficient to work in groups so as to benefit ones self one has to benedit the group and now these things such as stealing which you mentioned has become engraved in our brain and thoughts that it is bad. Let me also clarify by saying that religion as a whole has done a lot of good things and bad things. And yes I am being general about saying religion has caused many wars because I am speaking for religion as a whole including every religion. I do recognize that there are some in fact alot of religions that don't teach scientific ignorance and also some that have never caused a war but most religions at one point in time have caused a war or at least a massive amount of killings.
apg235

Pro

apg235 forfeited this round.
David286

Con

One major problem with religion is that it keeps threatening people to join or the will be eternally dammed. Parents force their kids into religion at a young age so by the time they are old enough to think for themselves they have effectively been brainwashed into thinking that their religion is correct and this can cause prejudice towards people of other religions this mainly happens in the middle-east because there is no separation of church and state so every person goes to a school that is tied to a certain religion. While on the subject of religion in schools I think religion should not be taught in schools because schools are a place of learning and not a place for personal beliefs this include private schools and public schools. Let me be clear the bible should because it is classic literature but should not be given any special treatment because it is just a fictional book I mean you do see people worshiping The Giver do you but that is just as true as the bible and other religious texts are. Religion is something that has been in society as far back as recorded history but that doesn't mean that it is good for society I mean look st how many deaths religion in general has cause. Let me be clear this debate was about is religion in general good for society not is one specific religion good for society and if you look at the bad morals of religion and the good morals you will see that the bad out weigh the good and if you look at the positives and negatives of religion you will also find that the negatives out weigh the good. Religion is a bad habit that needs to be broken and change is always just a few generations away. So if we start now our world might be a better place where people don't kill people because of differences in belief instead we would have a world where things would be backed by evidence and if someone can't prove something it is dismissed until someone can prove it. That is the world I want to live a reasonable world in which people believe in what facts or math or some other tool that we use to decibels the universe tells us. That is where I want to live.
apg235

Pro

apg235 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by NothingSpecial99 1 year ago
NothingSpecial99
David286apg235Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit