EljayShaun
Oyinkan

Is religion justified? Should religion be eradicated?

EljayShaun

EljayShaun

Con

As an atheist, an anti-theist to be precise, I would like to debate about whether religion is justified. Put simply, my stand is that religion is unjustified and deserves to be eradicated. Theists, agnostics and non-anti-theistical atheists are all welcome to debate about this topic. If you are religious, you can explain why you think your religion is right or why it's justified to be religious, or if you're an agnostic or non-anti-theistical atheist perhaps you can explain why religion does not deserve to be eradicated even if you personally do not adhere to religion.

In this debate I hope that we can discuss topics such as the validity of religion, the utility of religion and the impacts and causes of religion. Anyone is welcome to participate if you think that religion should not be eradicated.
Oyinkan

Pro

As a Christian, I believe that religion gives you something to stand for and makes you believe that even in a crazy life, there is a silver lining peeking out of the sky. "The Bible shows the way to go to heaven, not the way the heavens go."-- Galileo Galilei This is saying that religion isn't bad. Some people may take the religion that they have and make it into a bad thing but that's not everyone. Look at the whole picture not just the corner.
EljayShaun

Con

I thank Pro for accepting the challenge. It seems Pro has decided to open the argument by talking about the utility of religion, that it "gives you something to stand for and makes you believe that even in a crazy life, there is a silver lining peeking out of the sky."

Whether or not religion really is useful in that it can make people happier and more hopeful in live is hotly debated, and in future arguments I would love for Pro to provide statistical evidence that shows that religion indeed makes one happier by gives people meaning in life.

For now, I shall grant Pro the benefit of the doubt and assume that religion does make one happier and gives one meaning in life. There are two problems with this view of religion that I would like to point out. The first is that religion might help one to be happier and may give one meaning in life, but it does not provide one with what they would not already have. By simple observation, both theists and atheists are happy in general. Both theists and atheists find meaning in life as well. The fact that people can find meaning in life regardless of whether or not they are religious should be a stark indication that religion in fact does not provide people with a meaning of life. At best, one could posit that it provides people with an alternative meaning in life. But that does not mean it is more useful in any way than non-belief. Thus I would conclude that religion is unnecessary when it comes to giving people meaning and making them happy because people would already find meaning and be happy even without religion.

The second problem is that Pro thinks belief in religion is justified because it is useful, i.e. it provides people with happiness and meaning. This way of thinking, belief based on utility, is fallacious. My stand is that beliefs should be based upon evidence and rational thinking, not utility. I would like Pro to consider this thought experiment: A man's wife is tragically killed in a car accident, causing the man to fall into a state of depression. He goes to a psychiatrist and asks for help, and the psychiatrist's solution is, "Simple. Just believe that your wife is still alive and with you, and you won't be sad anymore." The problem is, no matter how hard the man tries, he cannot simply believe that his wife is still with him, because he knows, logically and rationally, that she is in fact dead. The psychiatrist's way of thinking is exactly what Pro is suggesting. Pro suggests that believing in religion is justified as it can make one happy and give one meaning. I think that belief in religion should be based upon evidence and facts. If the evidence and facts go against religion, then there is no way one can believe in religion just to make himself happy, in the same way the man in the thought experiment cannot make himself happy just by believing his wife is still alive. Therefore I would think that belief in religion is unjustified as even if it is useful, it is not true.
Oyinkan

Pro

Oyinkan forfeited this round.
EljayShaun

Con

Unfortunately my opponent has forfeited the round. I await his response in the next round.
Oyinkan

Pro

Oyinkan forfeited this round.
EljayShaun

Con

Unfortunately my opponent has forfeited Rounds 2 and 3 of the debate and has not made any arguments or rebuttals. Thus I urge you to vote Pro that religion is unjustified. Thank you.
Oyinkan

Pro

Oyinkan forfeited this round.
Posted by VintageMisery 1 year ago
VintageMisery
Kek religion is the best propaganda tool and I look forward to it manipulating so many different people in the future.
Posted by Ood 1 year ago
Ood
As a Christian I believe that religion is a useful tool. All religious wars have been is a nation state hiding behind its own religion to give an excuse for war! Without religion humanity will loose hope! Hope that people need!
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
vi_spex
atheism=theism
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Midnight1131
EljayShaunOyinkanTied
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
EljayShaunOyinkanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture